Looking ahead

• 175 replies
Re: Looking ahead
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 10:25:50 AM »
A little perspective. I went to my 1st game as a 9 year old some time during Mullin's frosh season. In all that time SJU has won 17 NCAA tourney games. 12 of those were with Louie. Making the tourney and losing in 1st or 2nd round represents my "glory years" as a fan. That is all I ever hope the team to do and I will be happy. NCAA tourney is my favorite sporting event and I love when SJU is involved.

BTW in that same time period Butler has the same amount of NCAA tourney wins

Foad

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 10:40:01 AM »
Winning the NIT last time didn't suck. Those last 2 games at the garden were fun. I enjoyed march better that year then any year we lost in the first round. Still I hope we make the tournament .

Agree. I'd much rather watch them win the NIT championship than watch them lose to Tulane or Detroit in the first round of the NCAA tournament. It's not even a question. For this team especially an NIT run might benefit them next year, when SJU is going to be as good as it has been or will be for a really really really long time.

I would rather lose the play in Tuesday game to Southwest North Dakota Tech by 53 points than win the NIT

You also brag about banging fat broads, so there's that.

Actually, winning the NIT is like banging the fat broad after being turned down by the hot chick.

Perhaps we can agree on this: Losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament is like getting all dressed up and shlepping down to the bar and wasting a ton of money on cheap beer and finding some pig to take home at 3am and then not being able to get it up  when you get there. Whereas winning the NIT is like staying home and spanking it while watching Penny do her laundry on a rerun of the Big Bang Theory and then going to sleep early.

I didn't say I'd rather make the NIT tournament than the NCAA tournament. But given the choice I'd rather watch 6 wins in a row than one loss. As usual YMMV.

Tha Kid

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 12:24:52 PM »
A little perspective. I went to my 1st game as a 9 year old some time during Mullin's frosh season. In all that time SJU has won 17 NCAA tourney games. 12 of those were with Louie. Making the tourney and losing in 1st or 2nd round represents my "glory years" as a fan. That is all I ever hope the team to do and I will be happy. NCAA tourney is my favorite sporting event and I love when SJU is involved.

BTW in that same time period Butler has the same amount of NCAA tourney wins

And 1 more Final Four than us.  And 2 more title games than us...just want to be as accurate as possible.
"I drink and I know things"

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 01:10:54 PM »
Winning the NIT last time didn't suck. Those last 2 games at the garden were fun. I enjoyed march better that year then any year we lost in the first round. Still I hope we make the tournament .

Agree. I'd much rather watch them win the NIT championship than watch them lose to Tulane or Detroit in the first round of the NCAA tournament. It's not even a question. For this team especially an NIT run might benefit them next year, when SJU is going to be as good as it has been or will be for a really really really long time.

I would rather lose the play in Tuesday game to Southwest North Dakota Tech by 53 points than win the NIT

You also brag about banging fat broads, so there's that.

Actually, winning the NIT is like banging the fat broad after being turned down by the hot chick.

Perhaps we can agree on this: Losing in the first round of the NCAA tournament is like getting all dressed up and shlepping down to the bar and wasting a ton of money on cheap beer and finding some pig to take home at 3am and then not being able to get it up  when you get there. Whereas winning the NIT is like staying home and spanking it while watching Penny do her laundry on a rerun of the Big Bang Theory and then going to sleep early.

I didn't say I'd rather make the NIT tournament than the NCAA tournament. But given the choice I'd rather watch 6 wins in a row than one loss. As usual YMMV.

At this point I would rather go out and get a whistle fish so I can triumphantly said I did something then stay a then stay at home saying I could bring somebody home if I wanted too...Making the tournament is huge for recruiting, the program, and moving forward then winning the NITs at this point.
Cougar O' Malley

pmg911

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »
NIT is for clowns.  Maybe 4 years ago it was a decent tournament before it got watered down and took the best 4 teams out of it and put them in the NCAA's.

We need to get Massielo in here ASAP he is a solid coach he can recruit the area and the most important thing is he seems like a decent person.  Not a salesman type

You don't think Steve Lavin is a decent person..?

pmg911

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2014, 01:22:04 PM »
OK guys enough.

Needs2Go please don't call other posters names. I don't have many rules here but being respectful and civil to one another are two of them. I think you could raise some good points if you weren't so extreme. We get it. You don't think highly of Lavin, Sanchez, Branch, or most things St. John's basketball. Clearly you have a passion. I challenge you to offer solutions and engage in intelligent basketball discussion instead of finger point at every opportunity.

As for everyone else why jump at the bait so easily? No need to attack Needs2go either. Clearly he has passion and I can see how it can irritate all but lets try and stir the posts towards convo about the game and not about each other.

Just want to make sure I understand this correctly....

chronicbucks wishes that Super Storm Sandy had taken Baldi's life and nothing is done about it and the posts are left up on the board but Needs2go get reprimanded for calling Boo a donkey...     WTF..?

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=8604.0

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
OK guys enough.

Needs2Go please don't call other posters names. I don't have many rules here but being respectful and civil to one another are two of them. I think you could raise some good points if you weren't so extreme. We get it. You don't think highly of Lavin, Sanchez, Branch, or most things St. John's basketball. Clearly you have a passion. I challenge you to offer solutions and engage in intelligent basketball discussion instead of finger point at every opportunity.

As for everyone else why jump at the bait so easily? No need to attack Needs2go either. Clearly he has passion and I can see how it can irritate all but lets try and stir the posts towards convo about the game and not about each other.

chronicbucks wishes that Super Storm Sandy had taken Baldi's life and nothing is done about it and the posts are left up on the board but Needs2go get reprimanded for calling Boo a donkey...     WTF..?

HA!
I think you should be allowed to call people whatever you like.
Heck Fordham blatantly made up a story got called on it and then started calling people idiots for pointing out he made up a story.
I am guessing Boo got some thin skin and complained to Dave which triggered said reprimand.
In fairness Needs to go to Bathroom posts are tedious
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 01:40:48 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
OK guys enough.

He called Boo a donkey and a clown . . .

Foad

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
OK guys enough.

I believe that Chronic Bucks was making reference to the Billy Goats Gruff (De tre bukkene Bruse), in which a troll (Baldi) is drowned (banned) when he is thrown into a stream (Hurricane Sandy) by the third billy goat (Earl Manigault). As such it was not so much a death threat as it was an allegory or parable. Since Jesus (SOG) was also fond of parables that makes CB quite Christlike. If you are suggesting that the baby Jesus should be banned, I'll have to ask you to step outside.

Also, since you were the worst moderator in history (fired) besides the repulsive Tom In Simsbury (Crumb Cake Face), who asked you (no one).

Foad

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
then stay a then stay at home

I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. Frankie, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, Henry. You may fold under questioning.

boo3

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
 Yeah, that's it wasju.  Me and my thin skin .

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2014, 02:54:03 PM »
Why is a loss in the first round of the tournament assumed?  (Yes, I know that was the question asked).  My point is, why?  Games against Creighton and Nova say to me that we can play with many high level teams.  Yes, there are some teams we will just match up poorly against due to some weaknesses we have.  But I'm a Giants fan.  I've seen them win 2 superbowls beating teams they shouldn't beat.  Gotta be in it to win it.  Regardless of where they're seeded, I'd rather make the tourney and roll the dice as an underdog rather than settle for being a NIT favorite. 

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2014, 02:58:59 PM »
Yeah, that's it wasju.  Me and my thin skin .

Just joking with you don't be a Mary

Foad

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2014, 03:04:42 PM »
Why is a loss in the first round of the tournament assumed?  (Yes, I know that was the question asked).  My point is, why? 

She that is Queen of Tunis; she that dwells
Ten leagues beyond man's life; she that from Naples
Can have no note, unless the sun were post—
The Man i' th' Moon's too slow—till new-born chins
Be rough and razorable; she that from whom
We all were sea-swallow'd, though some cast again
(And by that destiny) to perform an act
Whereof what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/history/_/team1/7471

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2014, 03:08:54 PM »
Why is a loss in the first round of the tournament assumed?  (Yes, I know that was the question asked).  My point is, why? 

I did the math off the top of my head btw and came up with the correct number of wins in my lifetime- 17. Thankfully there was only 17 so it did not require much math and I had 3 toes to spare.

DFF6

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »
then stay a then stay at home

I almost had him, I almost had him. Ya stuttering prick ya. Frankie, was he shaking? I wonder about you sometimes, Henry. You may fold under questioning.

One of my top 5 movies. 

DFF6

« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2014, 03:12:52 PM »

I did the math off the top of my head btw and came up with the correct number of wins in my lifetime- 17. Thankfully there was only 17 so it did not require much math and I had 3 toes to spare.

You need to demonstrate your work to get credit for it in grade school math (just ask my kids, or Needs2go).

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
Why is a loss in the first round of the tournament assumed?  (Yes, I know that was the question asked).  My point is, why?  Games against Creighton and Nova say to me that we can play with many high level teams.  Yes, there are some teams we will just match up poorly against due to some weaknesses we have.  But I'm a Giants fan.  I've seen them win 2 superbowls beating teams they shouldn't beat.  Gotta be in it to win it.  Regardless of where they're seeded, I'd rather make the tourney and roll the dice as an underdog rather than settle for being a NIT favorite. 

To enjoy 1st round NCAA tourney wins you will most certainly have to root for another program. I would suggest picking a 2nd favorite team to root for in the tourney. I do not have a set one, but like to pick a different one every year.

« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »

You need to demonstrate your work to get credit for it in grade school math (just ask my kids, or Needs2go).

Mullin teams-6 wins
Post Mullin
Berry-1
Jackson-1
Sealy-4
Post Louie
Cain-1
Jarvis-4
That is how I came up with the 17, not exactly E=mc2 but probably should have just googled ST John's NCAA tourney history like Fun

DFF6

« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »

Mullin teams-6 wins
Post Mullin
Berry-1
Jackson-1
Sealy-4
Post Louie
Cain-1
Jarvis-4
That is how I came up with the 17, not exactly E=mc2 but probably should have just googled ST John's NCAA tourney history like Fun

I was just kidding about the show your work bit, but thanks for showing it!  Kinda makes me sad when you look at the breakdown.  Confirms just how few and far between our NCAA successes have been in the last 30+ years.