Slice

• 512 replies

Foad

Re: Slice
« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2016, 07:11:15 PM »
A lot of people here think it's recruiting that's more important to coaching so that makes people who are known recruiters very critical to a head coaches success

Getting talent is critical to a head coach's success. No one wins without talent. But that's not really the question. The question is whether a recruit commits to a program, a head coach, or an assistant. Nobody goes to Duke because Nolan Smith is is a good recruiter. They go to dewk because it's dook and because of Screwshrenski. Nobody would have come to SJU to play for Norm because of Barry Rohhrsen.

« Reply #301 on: June 07, 2016, 07:15:36 PM »
Another Slice departed .......

Kimbo Slice the backyard/MMA fighter died today.

« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2016, 07:29:39 PM »
Since this decision was made and leaked in late March you have to figure their replacement has already been contacted and interviewed.

Props to Moose for taking the heat for the last two months lol.

Wrong place, wrong time for Slice. He's a NYer through and through, wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

With Mullin's connections I'm confident that we'll find the best possible replacement, and I'm excited to see who it is. There were glaring deficiencies on that bench last season, whoever the replacement is should fill those holes.

Good point on Moose dropping the discontent early.

My guess is the position will be filled from within.

Smart money says Zendon to DOB, DOB to staff position. They'd make Zendon an assistant but he can't spell assist.
Good thing it is a DoBO, and not a Director of University Men's Basketball
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:30:14 PM by bball purist »

Poison

« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »
I seem to recall Matt joking about this on social media. As if to imply that it was a just a rumor, and the thing is, at this moment, it still is.

« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
The other rumor is the snobbery at Franny's and other overcrowded pizza joints in Brooklyn was too much to take.  ::)

Or he's been a bit worn out lately. 22 years someone's junior can do that to a guy. With the PR and marketing career, perhaps a different market to work - LA?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:17:55 PM by bball purist »

redslope

« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2016, 10:47:11 PM »
The other rumor is the snobbery at Franny's and other overcrowded pizza joints in Brooklyn was too much to take.  ::)

Or he's been a bit worn out lately. 22 years someone's junior can do that to a guy. With the PR and marketing career, perhaps a different market to work - LA?

.No snobbery at Spumoni Gardens.  :).

Poison

« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2016, 11:01:26 PM »
Well, here it is. Not much of a story. Just that he's leaving, and that both sides are working on a buyout. Barry was here for only a cup of coffee, but he didn't deserve that cup, because coffee is for closers.

I just hope that Barry didn't do anything unethical in terms of recruiting. Not saying he has, but you bring on speculation when you provide no details.

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/st-johns-and-slice-to-part-ways/182734524
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 11:05:09 PM by Poison »

« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2016, 11:06:49 PM »
I really don't know too much on this subject. Not in my best interest to poke around.

My personal feelings on it is that I think Slice has one of the best assistant coaching contract in the country in his hometown. I find it really difficult to believe he wants to walk away from that unless he has something better in the wings but I just don't see how that is possible.

If this stuff is all true and he's out then Mitch Richmond will most likely become an assistant. I'm not mad at the move but don't think it's the best move. I'd rather have a more seasoned coach who's more strategy savvy or another blue collar recruiter of the mold of Matt. I'd rather have an assistant who keeps hitting doubles and occasional homer than assistant who always swings for the fences and strikes out more than he hits one out.

I don't want a fractured coach's room because that will inevitably trickle down into the locker room.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2016, 11:16:20 PM »
I really don't know too much on this subject. Not in my best interest to poke around.

My personal feelings on it is that I think Slice has one of the best assistant coaching contract in the country in his hometown. I find it really difficult to believe he wants to walk away from that unless he has something better in the wings but I just don't see how that is possible.

If this stuff is all true and he's out then Mitch Richmond will most likely become an assistant. I'm not mad at the move but don't think it's the best move. I'd rather have a more seasoned coach who's more strategy savvy or another blue collar recruiter of the mold of Matt. I'd rather have an assistant who keeps hitting doubles and occasional homer than assistant who always swings for the fences and strikes out more than he hits one out.

I don't want a fractured coach's room because that will inevitably trickle down into the locker room.

Richmond could be a good strategist. We'll see soon enough. I would have liked to add a coach who could teach defense. Maybe he can? I thought the offense was less of a problem all things considered.

I agree with you regarding the blue collar assistant type who hits doubles. Nova hits doubles. I wouldn't mind hitting them like they've been. The top level star recruits will come once we establish that we have something here.

The timing of this situation is odd. If he's out, why not just leave after the season? Why pretend there's nothing wrong?

« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2016, 11:26:59 PM »
Whole situation is incredibly odd.

Poison

« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2016, 11:35:00 PM »
From Zach B

I've been told Barry Rohrssen wasn't happy with his role at St. John's. Relationship between him and Chris Mullin has soured. #sjubb

« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2016, 11:37:44 PM »

Agreed.  There are obvious benefits to having Richmond on fulltime but the total lack of experience would be worrisome.  Someone on here or redmen suggested Tim Welsh and i think that would be a great idea.  Has head coaching experience, was known as decent bench guy, knows the Big East/catholic programs but also not too old.  I would want someone like that ideally.  The staff needs someone with experience.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

wpc77

« Reply #312 on: June 07, 2016, 11:45:31 PM »
The new special assistant will probably be the "strategy saavy" guy.  Richmond full time.

Perhaps Slice gets a soft landing spot with Dixon.   He has one real weak link on his staff who could probably be moved to a DoBo role.

goredmen

« Reply #313 on: June 07, 2016, 11:51:53 PM »
From Zach B

I've been told Barry Rohrssen wasn't happy with his role at St. John's. Relationship between him and Chris Mullin has soured. #sjubb

Zach B has been way off on this thing from the start and has been a complete dick about it, dismissing rumors on twitter and basically calling anybody that asked him about it dumb. Just now when somebody asked why he didn't report that Slice was unhappy earlier he said "some things aren't meant to be reported" and will act like he's known from the start. He's an asshat, always has been.

Poison

« Reply #314 on: June 07, 2016, 11:58:11 PM »
From Zach B

Zach B has been way off on this thing from the start and has been a complete dick about it, dismissing rumors on twitter and basically calling anybody that asked him about it dumb. Just now when somebody asked why he didn't report that Slice was unhappy earlier he said "some things aren't meant to be reported" and will act like he's known from the start. He's an asshat, always has been.

Zach wants to play nice with Mullin. Maybe he's known, but maybe he also knows that spreading the news hurts the program. In mid June, announcing it when school is out and everyone in deep into baseball and the NBA finals makes it less of a story. People won't notice as much.

goredmen

« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2016, 12:05:54 AM »
From Zach B

Zach wants to play nice with Mullin. Maybe he's known, but maybe he also knows that spreading the news hurts the program. In mid June, announcing it when school is out and everyone in deep into baseball and the NBA finals makes it less of a story. People won't notice as much.

It's one thing to hold off reporting something that the staff doesn't want you to report, but he was a dick about it from the start basically calling the rumors nonsense etc. Now he's gonna act like he's know that this has been inevitable for a couple months

« Reply #316 on: June 08, 2016, 12:34:21 AM »

Richmond could be a good strategist. We'll see soon enough. I would have liked to add a coach who could teach defense. Maybe he can? I thought the offense was less of a problem all things considered.

I agree with you regarding the blue collar assistant type who hits doubles. Nova hits doubles. I wouldn't mind hitting them like they've been. The top level star recruits will come once we establish that we have something here.

The timing of this situation is odd. If he's out, why not just leave after the season? Why pretend there's nothing wrong?

Can't see Richmond grinding it out at Christ the King on a Wednesday night. Love him in special role because his persona and personal experience is good for locker room, practice, official visits. I'm not sold on it being valuable out recruiting on the road. Just my personal thoughts.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #317 on: June 08, 2016, 01:01:22 AM »
From Zach B

It's one thing to hold off reporting something that the staff doesn't want you to report, but he was a dick about it from the start basically calling the rumors nonsense etc. Now he's gonna act like he's know that this has been inevitable for a couple months

I can tell you with certainty Zach knew what was brewing, but exercised discretion in not reporting it as things were in a holding pattern so to speak.  Not saying he was right or wrong, but am clarifying that he was aware of the problems for sure.

paultzman

« Reply #318 on: June 08, 2016, 01:02:12 AM »

Can't see Richmond grinding it out at Christ the King on a Wednesday night. Love him in special role because his persona and personal experience is good for locker room, practice, official visits. I'm not sold on it being valuable out recruiting on the road. Just my personal thoughts.

Agree

goredmen

« Reply #319 on: June 08, 2016, 01:17:33 AM »
From Zach B

I can tell you with certainty Zach knew what was brewing, but exercised discretion in not reporting it as things were in a holding pattern so to speak.  Not saying he was right or wrong, but am clarifying that he was aware of the problems for sure.

I have no problem with him not reporting it but I do have a problem with him dismissing them as false for two whole months especially if he was aware this was brewing. That's crossing the line from being a journalist to nothing more than a shill for the current staff, but it's been clear he's not interested in being a true journalist for years now.

Anyway, if what is being reported is true and Slice is unhappy with his role, where is he going to go where he would have a greater role than here? What other major program is going to give him a greater role in both recruiting and in-game strategy?