Slice

• 512 replies
Re: Slice
« Reply #400 on: June 10, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »
Reading between the lines of the Zac article...twelve months ago CM started assembling a staff. He knew he needed recruiters and he needed X and O guys. Matt A, an SJU grad who knew Chris, was an obvious choice for recruiting. St Jean, more of an unknown, might have been brought in due to CM's relationship with his father, or maybe he interviewed really well from an X and O perspective. CM looked at Slice as one who were be given preference to do both, why else bring him in?

As time went by, St Jean earned more of CM's trust as an X and O; Matt earned more of CM's trust as a recruiter. As an older guy, Slice said to himself, "what am I doing here playing second fiddle in recruiting and strategy"? Slice is taking his bruised ego down the road, possibly to more familiar pastures. Much like the veteran ballplayer being replaced by the younger prospect.

I always preferred a more experienced X and O guy. Some one with in game coaching experience. Dunlap would be perfect, Tim Welsh, Pete Gillen have been mentioned. I also threw Mark Jackson out there. Just give us someone who can work strategy, especially teach defense, and has college coaching experience.

How did St Jean "earn" CM's trust.  We were 1-17 in conference.  There isn't a poster on this board who could have done worse.  Let's get an x and o guy here pronto.

Right that is why they went 1-17, the same reason Tom Crean went 1-17 and 6-25 in his first year at Indiana, because his assistants were dopes.

Seriously get a clue please.

Foad

« Reply #401 on: June 10, 2016, 09:03:42 AM »
We were 1-17 in conference.  There isn't a poster on this board who could have done worse.  Let's get an x and o guy here pronto.

Please name three X and O guys who could have significantly improved that 1-17 record.

« Reply #402 on: June 10, 2016, 09:10:34 AM »
We were 1-17 in conference.  There isn't a poster on this board who could have done worse.  Let's get an x and o guy here pronto.

Please name three X and O guys who could have significantly improved that 1-17 record.

No one would have won more than a game or so more with this team which would not prove Mullin's coaching acumen one way or another. You simply can't judge anyone under these circumstances on wins and losses. Honestly people are getting caught up on what we win next year and I don't even think that matters. If we win 12 games but  we are competitive and start to develop an offense and the new guys show they belong and the sophs show improvement would that be a disappointment? Absolutely not.

I would like to see Mullin own this thing and not look like he is observing from afar. If that happens I don't care what record is becuase we will be fine.

TONYD3

« Reply #403 on: June 10, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »

We had no talent last year. With better coaching, I believe we beat st. thomas, incarnate word, NJIT, and maybe fordham. If we don't win all of those games atleast we play them tougher. I thought the in game coaching improved as the year went on.

« Reply #404 on: June 10, 2016, 09:21:52 AM »

We had no talent last year. With better coaching, I believe we beat st. thomas, incarnate word, NJIT, and maybe fordham. If we don't win all of those games atleast we play them tougher. I thought the in game coaching improved as the year went on.

We lost those three games by a combined 45 points. So if you think another coach would have won them then you are basically saying Mullin should not be coaching. Could see your argument if we lost close games but no one is making up 15 points. Look I am not sold that Mullin will be great and there are def things he needs to change but I would not put any of the losses last year directly on him as a coach. Our best two  offensive players were Mussini and Durand Johnson. No one was winning with that!!

Foad

« Reply #405 on: June 10, 2016, 09:26:53 AM »

No one would have won more than a game or so more with this team which would not prove Mullin's coaching acumen one way or another. You simply can't judge anyone under these circumstances on wins and losses. Honestly people are getting caught up on what we win next year and I don't even think that matters. If we win 12 games but  we are competitive and start to develop an offense and the new guys show they belong and the sophs show improvement would that be a disappointment? Absolutely not.

I would like to see Mullin own this thing and not look like he is observing from afar. If that happens I don't care what record is becuase we will be fine.

We'll know by January 15th whether this experiment is a failure. Judging by last year was like trying to decide if Julia Child could teach a cooking class after tasting a souffle she made out of mud, pus and moldy bread.

« Reply #406 on: June 10, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »

We'll know by January 15th whether this experiment is a failure. Judging by last year was like trying to decide if Julia Child could teach a cooking class after tasting a souffle she made out of mud, pus and moldy bread.

I know you disagree but I just want him to look engaged. If he does that and Lovett and Ahmed can play we will be fine. Has to continue to get better players though. That is why Slice leaving hurts. Part of me wonders that even with all the As the World Turns nonsense with the coaches if one of the reasons Slice was unhappy is he realized he COULD NOT recruit at ST John's.

Foad

« Reply #407 on: June 10, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »

I know you disagree but I just want him to look engaged. If he does that and Lovett and Ahmed can play we will be fine. Has to continue to get better players though. That is why Slice leaving hurts. Part of me wonders that even with all the As the World Turns nonsense with the coaches if one of the reasons Slice was unhappy is he realized he COULD NOT recruit at ST John's.

I'd like Mullin to be engaged. I don't care if he feigns ennui as long as he is invested in the process. I assume he is, because there was no reason for him to take the gig if he weren't.

Matt doesn't seem to have a problem recruiting at SJU. Maybe BR got spoiled being at Kentucky, where every door is always open. Maybe his ego couldn't take the other guy getting all the recruits. Maybe he's just peripatetic, like Larry Brown. It seems to me that it doesn't matter because this is all on Mullin - if he needs some other guy to succeed they should have hired the other guy.

« Reply #408 on: June 10, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »

Agree 100%

« Reply #409 on: June 10, 2016, 10:02:12 AM »

I'd like Mullin to be engaged. I don't care if he feigns ennui as long as he is invested in the process. I assume he is, because there was no reason for him to take the gig if he weren't.

Matt doesn't seem to have a problem recruiting at SJU. Maybe BR got spoiled being at Kentucky, where every door is always open. Maybe his ego couldn't take the other guy getting all the recruits. Maybe he's just peripatetic, like Larry Brown. It seems to me that it doesn't matter because this is all on Mullin - if he needs some other guy to succeed they should have hired the other guy.

Mid Life crisis? Some guys buy sports cars and date 20 year old models, some guys decide to take a crack at coaching their alma mater? Hopefully that was not reason.

« Reply #410 on: June 10, 2016, 10:49:03 AM »
So what do we attribute these two profiles of Slice in March?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/nyregion/how-barryrohrssen-a-basketball-coach-spends-his-sundays.html?_r=0

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/the-wild-ride-of-slice-rohrssen-college-basketballs-great-persuader

Oddly, both come out the same week in March. Was he trying to get some leverage and prove his worth to the program or outside world?

« Reply #411 on: June 10, 2016, 11:34:58 AM »
Lets get the new pieces in place.

Either make Mitch an assistant coach or try to get Grasso or Davis to become an assistant coach here.

Poison

« Reply #412 on: June 10, 2016, 12:24:41 PM »

Either make Mitch an assistant coach or try to get Grasso or Davis to become an assistant coach here.

Grasso, definitely, but who is Davis?

paultzman

« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2016, 01:00:47 PM »
VItale's take fwiw knowing he is close to Slice;

http://espn.go.com/espn/dickvitale/story/_/id/16026187

paultzman

« Reply #414 on: June 10, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »

Grasso, definitely, but who is Davis?

Rasheen D, AC at VCU & formerly at Manhattan.

« Reply #415 on: June 10, 2016, 01:13:59 PM »

So per Vitale Mullin request SJU buy Slice out!

paultzman

« Reply #416 on: June 10, 2016, 01:20:08 PM »
It is clear Slice is working his friends in the press at SJU expense. Itis a shame it came to this, but time to move on.

goredmen

« Reply #417 on: June 10, 2016, 01:24:17 PM »

LOL. Like Norm, Slice's ceiling is a top recruiting-first assistant. Nobody should give that dude a head coaching job.

« Reply #418 on: June 10, 2016, 01:33:43 PM »
It is clear Slice is working his friends in the press at SJU expense. Itis a shame it came to this, but time to move on.
Kind of like what the other assistant was doing for his own pr :)

paultzman

« Reply #419 on: June 10, 2016, 01:36:36 PM »
Kind of like what the other assistant was doing for his own pr :)

Ha! True.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:37:42 PM by paultzman »