Creighton

• 405 replies

Marillac

Re: Creighton
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2017, 08:26:21 PM »
This isn't the 96 Bulls. Ellison should be able to do well on Foster since the kid can't dribble...he's all jumpers and dunks. Patton is just a frosh and I don't think he's big enough to bully Owens like many of the jacked guys he's struggled against. After Patton, we hold the size and beef advantage.

Rebounding will be huge. If we can control the glass, we have a chance. You can't give Creighton extra possessions.

Lol what? He's definitely big enough to bully Owens and skilled enough too. Patton is by far the best big we've played. Nick Ward  (also a Frosh) was one point shy of a double/double against us in 12 minutes and Patton is better than Ward. Mike Watkins of Penn State (Another Frosh)  went for 15 and 13 against us and Patton is bigger and better than him too.

Outside of Lovett vs Watson and Ellison vs Foster we don't have a size advantage anywhere else. Khyri Thomas is bigger than Ponds and Ahmed vs Huff is a push in terms of size.

I'll let them know not to show up then.
Outside of Thomas they don't impress me on D or the glass. Patton is good, but he's not a phenom by any stretch....he looks like a slightly better version of Sima to me. The way you beat Owens  this year is by going through him. Patton has scored on finesse moves thus far.

This seems like a game where some of our forwards can really step up to give us a chance.

Slightly better version than Sima? Patton is a future 1st round pick, and not in the very distant future either

Ha! He moves like a robot. I could see him being a backup if he polished up his game, but this is not the type of talent some of you think. His current draft projection will slide down to second round with time.

Just admit you haven't watched him play yet, it's fine and it's obvious. His draft stock is only rising right now, not slipping. He wasn't even on draft boards before the season and now there's legitimate talk he might leave after this season.

Whether or not he'll be a good NBA player is a different conversation. He's one of the best bigs in the country right now regardless of class

False on all accounts.  Best big averaging 6 RPG? GTFOH.

MCNPA

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »
I worry much more about matching up with bigs like Delgaldo than I do Patton. Doesn't mean he's not very good. Just think our defense isn't that unprepared to face a taller big man. Its the burly guys that give us the most problems.

This.

Seton hall just played Creighton.  Creighton doubled Delgado all game long, and it killed the hall.  They jumped him and it stalled their entire offense.  A good bet is getting fouls on Patton.  Get the ball to Darien underneath.  He earned fouls at .45% clip in JUCO.  Get it to him down low, and he can go to the hole or kick to our guards.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:50:21 PM by MCNPA »

Wods317

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2017, 08:59:45 PM »
Creighton -6. On the site I use at least. Surprising only underdogs by 6

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2017, 09:08:59 PM »
Underdogs, thats how I like us.

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2017, 09:14:04 PM »
You guys make Patton sound like Karl Malone

Johnny23

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:27 PM »
You guys make Patton sound like Karl Malone

He's one of the most promising bigs in the country, not sure why people are arguing this.

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2017, 09:30:16 PM »
Well at least Patton is not 7'6" like Tacko Fall at UCF....

MCNPA

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2017, 09:30:47 PM »
If you look, both teams have similar strengths and weaknesses.  Bottom line here. It isn't one matchup I'm worried about.  They can really score, so we need a loud crowd, and our most consistent defensive effort yet.  Creighton's defense isn't very good either so we can score on them.  Curios how they gameplan for our offense,  because we can score plenty as well.  We have to keep their scoring lower than usual.   Maybe use more clock and lot let them get into running game on us, even though it's our game too.  Press them a little bit here and there.  Penetrate and draw fouls.  They aren't super deep.  Maybe get Patton to foul Williams a bit.   Zones won't work here, so our man-defense is best bet.  Two good halves again... they're not unbeatable at all. 

paultzman

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »
Nova beat them by extending possessions and defending. Creighton scores a ton usually, especially at home. Defense is the key to a Johnny upset. Don't think we can win a high scorring affair.

Have seen Patton several times, very good, but still developing IMO.

goredmen

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:36 PM »
This isn't the 96 Bulls. Ellison should be able to do well on Foster since the kid can't dribble...he's all jumpers and dunks. Patton is just a frosh and I don't think he's big enough to bully Owens like many of the jacked guys he's struggled against. After Patton, we hold the size and beef advantage.

Rebounding will be huge. If we can control the glass, we have a chance. You can't give Creighton extra possessions.

Lol what? He's definitely big enough to bully Owens and skilled enough too. Patton is by far the best big we've played. Nick Ward  (also a Frosh) was one point shy of a double/double against us in 12 minutes and Patton is better than Ward. Mike Watkins of Penn State (Another Frosh)  went for 15 and 13 against us and Patton is bigger and better than him too.

Outside of Lovett vs Watson and Ellison vs Foster we don't have a size advantage anywhere else. Khyri Thomas is bigger than Ponds and Ahmed vs Huff is a push in terms of size.

I'll let them know not to show up then.
Outside of Thomas they don't impress me on D or the glass. Patton is good, but he's not a phenom by any stretch....he looks like a slightly better version of Sima to me. The way you beat Owens  this year is by going through him. Patton has scored on finesse moves thus far.

This seems like a game where some of our forwards can really step up to give us a chance.

Slightly better version than Sima? Patton is a future 1st round pick, and not in the very distant future either

Ha! He moves like a robot. I could see him being a backup if he polished up his game, but this is not the type of talent some of you think. His current draft projection will slide down to second round with time.

Just admit you haven't watched him play yet, it's fine and it's obvious. His draft stock is only rising right now, not slipping. He wasn't even on draft boards before the season and now there's legitimate talk he might leave after this season.

Whether or not he'll be a good NBA player is a different conversation. He's one of the best bigs in the country right now regardless of class

False on all accounts.  Best big averaging 6 RPG? GTFOH.

One of the best bigs, yes. 3rd best player in the entire country in effective FG% and top 40 of all players in offensive rating. Yeah, slightly better version of Sima. LOL
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:37:57 PM by goredmen »

paultzman

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »
6.5 dogs, not bad.

Wods317

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2017, 09:59:10 PM »
6.5 dogs, not bad.

Yea lined opened at 6. I referenced that above. Surprised by that.

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »
Seen Patton play several times and while he's a very good player...I'm more worried about Creighton's outside shooting.

I don't care if Patton scores 50+...If we can keep them from hitting 3's we'll be in this game. 

Man to man is the only way to play these guys so we need to be active and talk on defense. 

Hope CA is rocking...I seriously considered coming down from Albany but 8:30 start held me back.  Bring the noise tomorrow for those who will be there!

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2017, 10:08:20 PM »
Patton is averaging 13 and 6 a game, so is Ahmed. Big fckn deal

goredmen

« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2017, 10:11:56 PM »
Nova beat them by extending possessions and defending. Creighton scores a ton usually, especially at home. Defense is the key to a Johnny upset. Don't think we can win a high scorring affair.

Have seen Patton several times, very good, but still developing IMO.

I think a big key for us will be knowing when to push the pace and when to slow it down. Don't think we can beat them in a shootout as you mentioned and it's easy to get suckered into that type of game with them. Need to recognize to only push if there are easy baskets to be had. Otherwise slow it down and make them defend

wpc77

« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »

Absolutely.  Okafor he ain't.  Plus we have Nick VanExel, already in his nba prime, at 2 guard.  Let's roll these asshats.

goredmen

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2017, 10:14:32 PM »

Ahmed takes 3 more shots per game than Patton does

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2017, 10:18:25 PM »

Ahmed takes 3 more shots per game than Patton does

If he grabbed more rebounds, he might get more put back chances

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2017, 10:25:25 PM »
Dare I say t, best way to approach game is the Lavin-method which I actually liked quite a bit.  Pick up a steady but not overzealous trap or press at 3/4 court to make it difficult getting ball into frontcourt.  Try to get em to waste almost ten seconds getting it out of backcourt, then drop right into solid man defense and make them run their offense.  Best bet to cut down on their percentages.  Not sure how good we can get at 3/4 court pressure, but it will definitely lower their scoring percentages if we can be effective.