Mullin to step down? Hurley in?

• 361 replies

desco80

Re: Mullin to step down? Hurley in?
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 09:36:51 PM »
Mediocre talent or Mediocre coaching? Think about who had more talent among the BE teams this year and then remember we finished in 7th place. Mullin doesn’t coach, run practices, recruit, or develop players. I don’t mean he doesn’t do it well, he doesn’t do it.

Simon cant shoot outside of 5 feet.  Clark was a spot up 3pt shooter who didnt make enough and was only average defensively and on the glass.
Figueroa is a wing who cant handle the ball.
We had no center, and no one off the bench who could contribute save greg Williams as the year went on.

This was not a team stacked with talent.  I wish I knew what happened to the real Mustafa Heron because that guy could be big east player of the year.  But we never saw him after November. 

And the line that mullin doesnt coach is bs.  I sat behind the bench on a couple occasions and hes much more active during timeouts than he was 2 years ago.  Hes pointing out defensive assignments and calling plays.
Watch any taped game and you'll see Ponds bring the ball up and look to Mullin for a hand signal to start the set.4 fingers down, peace sign, 10 fingers... happens dozens of times each game.

That said, I think Hurley is a better choice.  I'm just not on board with the crussification of Chris Mullin.

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2019, 09:38:41 PM »
Mediocre talent or Mediocre coaching? Think about who had more talent among the BE teams this year and then remember we finished in 7th place. Mullin doesn’t coach, run practices, recruit, or develop players. I don’t mean he doesn’t do it well, he doesn’t do it.

Let’s say Seton hall fiasco doesn’t happen and we finish 3rd. Does he then deserve credit for finishing top 3? We underachieved for sure but I find it hard to believe some guys aren’t happy we slipped to 7th so they can point to it as a failure.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2019, 09:54:38 PM »
Let’s say Seton hall fiasco doesn’t happen and we finish 3rd. Does he then deserve credit for finishing top 3? We underachieved for sure but I find it hard to believe some guys aren’t happy we slipped to 7th so they can point to it as a failure.

There was a lot that went wrong during that Seton Hall lost, one of them was the referees. If we did any number of things well the last 5 minutes we win. Yes the call cost us the game, it’s no excuse though for our poor play down the stretch.

SJUFAN

« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2019, 10:06:17 PM »
Simon cant shoot outside of 5 feet.  Clark was a spot up 3pt shooter who didnt make enough and was only average defensively and on the glass.
We had no center, and no one off the bench who could contribute save greg Williams as the year went on.

This was not a team stacked with talent.  I wish I knew what happened to the real Mustafa Heron because that guy could be big east player of the year.  But we never saw him after November. 

And the line that mullin doesnt coach is bs.  I sat behind the bench on a couple occasions and hes much more active during timeouts than he was 2 years ago.  Hes pointing out defensive assignments and calling plays.
Watch any taped game and you'll see Ponds bring the ball up and look to Mullin for a hand signal to start the set.4 fingers down, peace sign, 10 fingers... happens dozens of times each game.

That said, I think Hurley is a better choice.  I'm just not on board with the crussification of Chris Mullin.

Simon was defensive player of the year, so what he can’t shoot. The problem was he’s allowed to. Our team has its flaws, the task of the staff is to put the players in position to maximize their strengths. This staff doesn’t seem capable of doing that. They continue to play to a system even if it didn’t fit the abilities of the team. No way we should have got swept by DePaul. Xavier has no ball handlers.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »
I dont think Mullin has done an awful job.  He has mediocre talent and has produced mediocre results.   I'm not sure what realistic hire could have done substantially better. 

That said, I would like to see Bobby Hurley here.  He's an overly dramatic psycho on the court, but we're hiring a basketball coach.   Social skills and brains arent exactly the most important criteria. 
Convince kids to play for you and teach them how to efficiently put the ball through the hoop.

I think Hurley can do that better than most.

But, while I certainly trust dave. I'm shocked sju is paying Mullin's buyout and a buyout for Hurley? Unbelievable until I see it happen. 

The coach is responsible for his program. Mullin’s record here is terrible. Every other detail as to why is just an excuse.

He’s not developing talent and building this program. Every year is a rebuild with him, and this staff.

I don’t want to start over, but I’d be hopeful about doing so if they hire a real coach.

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2019, 11:01:37 PM »

Yea I'm kind of on board with this thinking and apparently the NCAA committee was too because 4-6th place didn't make the dance but we did.

It was a weird year. We underachieved, underperformed, but still had a pretty good year. Very anticlimactic.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2019, 11:06:01 PM »

Compare to other teams in conference. Who had more talent? Seriously would like to know your thoughts on other teams.

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2019, 11:11:59 PM »
I dont think Mullin has done an awful job.  He has mediocre talent and has produced mediocre results.   I'm not sure what realistic hire could have done substantially better. 

That said, I would like to see Bobby Hurley here.  He's an overly dramatic psycho on the court, but we're hiring a basketball coach.   Social skills and brains arent exactly the most important criteria. 
Convince kids to play for you and teach them how to efficiently put the ball through the hoop.

I think Hurley can do that better than most.

But, while I certainly trust dave. I'm shocked sju is paying Mullin's buyout and a buyout for Hurley? Unbelievable until I see it happen. 

I'm not really in the trenches of inner workings of administration and donors who influence these things. I'm more of a players guy.

From the outside I know there has been mumblings of this for a while but I have little faith in the school to ever make the right move.

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2019, 11:33:57 PM »
Yea I'm kind of on board with this thinking and apparently the NCAA committee was too because 4-6th place didn't make the dance but we did.

It was a weird year. We underachieved, underperformed, but still had a pretty good year. Very anticlimactic.

100% agree. I’m not sold on CM in the least but I also don’t think he’s necessarily proven he can’t win here either.

goredmen

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2019, 11:53:09 PM »
100% agree. I’m not sold on CM in the least but I also don’t think he’s necessarily proven he can’t win here either.

The problem with Mullin is the same exact problem with Lavin. The situations are remarkably similar, at least in my eyes.

Neither guy hasn't proven that they can't win here. The fans really turned on both guys immediately after they made the NCAA tournament for the first time in 4 years. However, the expectations were heightened prior to those seasons and both of the seasons have and will be looked back on as disappointments.

Both Lavin and Mullin have the same negative perceptions surrounding them:

A) If they couldn't achieve more with what they had in those NCAA Tournament seasons, how would they ever be able to take the next step here? It was unlikely Lavin would ever have had more talent than that 14-15 team and it's unlikely Mullin will have more talent than this year's team, especially after underachieving.

B) There was no reason to believe either coach would build a consistent winner. After 14-15 Lavin was going to have to replace pretty much every important player and we were looking at another rebuild with him. While Mullin could have more back next year than Lavin did in his final year, he's losing his best player and he currently doesn't have even 1 true PG coming in to replace him. Again, another mini-rebuild at the least is on the horizon.

C) Both guys are far inferior to the rest of the conference in terms of in-game coaching and strategy. Lavin's X's and O's deficiencies were obvious after Dunlap left and Mullin's have been obvious for 4 years.

It's like deja vu all over again. If Mullin does leave we'll probably go through this again in another 4-5 years.

wpc77

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2019, 11:57:20 PM »
Compare to other teams in conference. Who had more talent? Seriously would like to know your thoughts on other teams.

My advice from being invovled in similar situations at another school - everyone who is close to a program sees it's weaknesses.  Aside fro. The well oiled machines (duke, kentucky etc), most programs have holes and make mistakes.  This time we have Cragg who learned from the best.  Let it play out.  Good chance he doesn't f it up
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:57:38 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2019, 12:31:12 AM »
The problem with Mullin is the same exact problem with Lavin. The situations are remarkably similar, at least in my eyes.

Neither guy hasn't proven that they can't win here. The fans really turned on both guys immediately after they made the NCAA tournament for the first time in 4 years. However, the expectations were heightened prior to those seasons and both of the seasons have and will be looked back on as disappointments.

A) If they couldn't achieve more with what they had in those NCAA Tournament seasons, how would they ever be able to take the next step here? It was unlikely Lavin would ever have had more talent than that 14-15 team and it's unlikely Mullin will have more talent than this year's team, especially after underachieving.

B) There was no reason to believe either coach would build a consistent winner. After 14-15 Lavin was going to have to replace pretty much every important player and we were looking at another rebuild with him. While Mullin could have more back next year than Lavin did in his final year, he's losing his best player and he currently doesn't have even 1 true PG coming in to replace him. Again, another mini-rebuild at the least is on the horizon.

C) Both guys are far inferior to the rest of the conference in terms of in-game coaching and strategy. Lavin's X's and O's deficiencies were obvious after Dunlap left and Mullin's have been obvious for 4 years.

It's like deja vu all over again. If Mullin does leave we'll probably go through this again in another 4-5 years.

Great post, pretty much agree with it all. But, and you mentioned it a bit, lavins last year following his big class with dlo was pretty much it. Nothing underneath it if you consider rysheed had no shot at coming back. Mullin at least has a shot at returning 3 key starters from a tournament team. I had no faith in lavin building it back up again from scratch and creating a program built on continualtity. Mullin I think could still get the players that it takes if he’s surrounded by the right AC’s. With that said I wouldn’t be upset if he decides to walk away.

« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2019, 01:25:04 AM »
Not only did Mullin lose Cam today, he lost me.

Fire this dude now

SJUFAN

« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2019, 04:24:29 AM »

Lavin understood how to run a program. He brought in a strength and conditioning coach. He had a coach who’s focus was on player development and could recruit. Lavin himself was one of the better recruiters out there. He could sale. He got MSG to allow the team to use the Knick locker room opposed to the ancillary one. He wanted to play more games at MSG. Mullin won the same amount of BE games as Norm did.

I had confidence Lavin would bring in talent. He had that ability. All he needed was a really good assistant coach.

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2019, 07:07:16 AM »
So let me get this. You believe that if I’m right it reflects more negatively against me, the person who mentioned it, than the person who is actually doing it?

Whether I’m right or wrong one thing is certain, some of you really have a hard on for Mullin.

ridiculous, I don't have to think that Mullin is a good coach, and think that he is doing this just for the money. you just keep trying to find things about Mullin as a person that fits your narrative. get a life.

Johnny23

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2019, 08:51:26 AM »
The sooner we get rid of Mullin the sooner we hire a real coach. I'm thinking the postseason sit down that Mullin had with Cragg didn't go according to Chris' liking.

Cragg is earning more street cred by the minute if this transpires and we end up with Bobby.

TONYD3

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »

You crussified the last coach who was better. Just because he is more engaged then he was. THAT IS NOT A POSITIVE.
He still visiblely quits. How many games did that loser not even call a timeout in the second half?
Transfer U + Lazy coach= going through the motions = 7th place

jsk

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »

jsk

« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2019, 10:50:41 AM »
Very thoughtful and logical comments! Thanks Desco.

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »
You crussified the last coach who was better. Just because he is more engaged then he was. THAT IS NOT A POSITIVE.
He still visiblely quits. How many games did that loser not even call a timeout in the second half?
Transfer U + Lazy coach= going through the motions = 7th place

Give it a break, your non stop personal attacks, are BS. Why is it even necessary? Want another coach fine, focus on that if possible.