Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies
Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1460 on: September 08, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
I'm not a St. John's fan that is full of  it. I have witnessed good years and very bad years. However, when you compare St. John's to Seton Hall, we are the better program. Now and historiclly. It's that simple. Will he choose SH? Maybe, that's fine. We'll still be a better program than the Hall. Just look at the facts.

Hall has made 9 NCAA tournaments. St. John's has made 28. I'll stop there.

« Reply #1461 on: September 08, 2011, 03:03:52 PM »
but SH is still in our weight divisoin within the BE.

Um, no.
Not even close yo.

Actually you are right SH has been much better than us the last 10 years SH record is 158-146. SJU is 149-158.

This fan base is hysterical. For the Norm years half the fan base wanted to give Norm 50 years to turn things around and the other half had to be talked off a bridge. Now the thought of a HS kid picking SH over us is being derided by most of you.

Perception wise you are not even close.

Based on the coach, recruiting class and last season. I get that. My only issue is people looking down or acting as if him choosing SH over us would be some sort of sacriligous event. I am very happy where we are, just not forgetting where we came from. And for the record I think we will be fine whether we get him or not. I am just not at the stage where I am looking down on any other BE program.

I kinda agree. No doubt SJU would be a much better choice than SHU right now, but let us not forget that just a few short years ago we were a bottom feeder in this conference. So until we string together multiple good years and get some consistency going I think it's premature to start belittling other schools in the conference who are where we were a short time ago.
It is good to look in the rear view mirror every once in a while, but a majority of time should be spent looking far ahead to get the big picture.  The staff's vision and execution is impeccable.  KA is an impeccable play maker and knows what's going to happen on the floor way in advance - he sees the big picture - there's a Storm brewing, and it's getting closer - to deep runs...

And another thing, the best teachers say never underestimate the competition.  Coach Lavs and the staff are first class all the way.  Coach respects, embraces and relishes the competition.  All the schools are doing a great job of selling their strong points to Kyle.  It just comes down to that feeling for each recruit, much like any relationship.  Kyle will not lose with any choice - he just may win more with one of them  :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:11:07 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #1462 on: September 08, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
He loved his visit, more importantly his mom loved everything about what she saw and heard. I have heard nothing new other than that this morning. Yes he and Shabazz are close,but Shabazz is  no UCLA lock. As for SH as down as they have been and as much as people here like to bash them it is still a good program with a personable HC who has left a really good impression on him and his family. As for the students showing up, yes thats an ego boost but if you think Pops(whos no dummy btw) is going to let that in any way influence where is son, a future pro is going to hone his skills, your crazy. From people that would 100% know he is still coming here. Way stranger things have happened then him not coming but I would be VERY VERY surprised if hes doesnt sign with SJU. VERY SURPRISED!

Thanks for the update, keep them coming.

« Reply #1463 on: September 08, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
Thought this was interesting. Seton Hall's athletic department's official twitter feed apparently retweeted Kyle's comment about "SHU fans showing him love" last night.

Here the picture and what a sports writer for the Star Ledger had to say about it: http://yfrog.com/khz60xsrj

Just left a message for NCAA folks re: SHU's official athletic dept. twitter feed's RT of a Kyle Anderson tweet. Hope to hear back soon.
Found this on NCAA's site under "Social Media and Recruiting": NCAA rules do not allow comments about possible recruits on an institution’s social media page or a page belonging to someone affiliated with the institution. In addition, these pages cannot feature photos of prospects and msgs cannot be sent to recruits using these social media tech's other than through their e-mail function.

http://twitter.com/#!/BrendanPrunty

« Reply #1464 on: September 08, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »
Thought this was interesting. Seton Hall's athletic department's official twitter feed apparently retweeted Kyle's comment about "SHU fans showing him love" last night.

Here the picture and what a sports writer for the Star Ledger had to say about it: http://yfrog.com/khz60xsrj

Just left a message for NCAA folks re: SHU's official athletic dept. twitter feed's RT of a Kyle Anderson tweet. Hope to hear back soon.
Found this on NCAA's site under "Social Media and Recruiting": NCAA rules do not allow comments about possible recruits on an institution’s social media page or a page belonging to someone affiliated with the institution. In addition, these pages cannot feature photos of prospects and msgs cannot be sent to recruits using these social media tech's other than through their e-mail function.

do you think their speculation is correct that it may be a secondary violation?

« Reply #1465 on: September 08, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »

No idea, but either way, you'd have to be an idiot to take a chance like this when we're less than two weeks away from this kid announcing his decision.

« Reply #1466 on: September 08, 2011, 04:03:34 PM »
St. John's is an Elite program. It's top 10 in wins all time, in a major conference, in the media capital in the world. Because of a few bad seasons or a few good ones that shouldn't change.

If you're looking at recent history the amount of talent on this roster is certainly something to be very excited about. The coaching staff on this team is one of the best top to bottom in the country.

You can not say the same things for Seton Hall at all. However there is a lot things they are doing very well in recruiting KA that have and could make a difference.

No need to hit a panic button. Just relax. In 2 weeks you'll all be very excited or you'll be super super excited. It's a great time to be a St. John's fan.

Dave,
If Fun were still alive he would kill your post. In our "glory years" we were an 18-22 win team that usually got knocked out in the 2nd round of the tourney. We had two or three short periods where we inched into the elite area code but for the most part we were a solid program which considering what Jarvis/ Norm turned us into might look elite. I do believe Lavin could take us to the next level, but I am just happy we no longer reside in Normville.

« Reply #1467 on: September 08, 2011, 04:07:32 PM »

No idea, but either way, you'd have to be an idiot to take a chance like this when we're less than two weeks away from this kid announcing his decision.

It is a minor violation.  No biggie to be honest and more funny then damning.  It is funny because it just shows how much SHU and their entire community is investing in the recruitment of this kid.  I mean the official twitter site now retweeting potential recruit tweets???

MCNPA

« Reply #1468 on: September 08, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

It is a minor violation.  No biggie to be honest and more funny then damning.  It is funny because it just shows how much SHU and their entire community is investing in the recruitment of this kid.  I mean the official twitter site now retweeting potential recruit tweets???

It certainly is a secondary violation.  He truth is though is that it is more embarrassing than anything else.  It is embarrassing that the SHU athletic department would make a stupid mistake like that and in addition reveals a bit of desperation and lack of professionalism.  Nothing for them to worry about NCAA repercussions for.  Just a dumb amateur move.

« Reply #1469 on: September 08, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »
St. John's is an Elite program. It's top 10 in wins all time, in a major conference, in the media capital in the world. Because of a few bad seasons or a few good ones that shouldn't change.

If you're looking at recent history the amount of talent on this roster is certainly something to be very excited about. The coaching staff on this team is one of the best top to bottom in the country.

You can not say the same things for Seton Hall at all. However there is a lot things they are doing very well in recruiting KA that have and could make a difference.

No need to hit a panic button. Just relax. In 2 weeks you'll all be very excited or you'll be super super excited. It's a great time to be a St. John's fan.

Dave,
If Fun were still alive he would kill your post. In our "glory years" we were an 18-22 win team that usually got knocked out in the 2nd round of the tourney. We had two or three short periods where we inched into the elite area code but for the most part we were a solid program which considering what Jarvis/ Norm turned us into might look elite. I do believe Lavin could take us to the next level, but I am just happy we no longer reside in Normville.

St. John's was pretty damn good. Probably would have stayed pretty damn good with Fraschilla (who is an awesome dude spent 2 weeks with him this summer). Jarvis was average/bad and Norm was bad.

Seton Hall historically is probably a top 75 team.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #1470 on: September 08, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »
The tweet wouldn't make a difference. It's just stupid on behalf of their department. It's certainly a violation but very very minor.

« Reply #1471 on: September 08, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »

Dave,
If I might hit a fork in the road and give you all this viewpoint for "Elite" status.  SJ's can shoot for the Nike Elite status by getting to a FF and attaining other criteria that Nike has in order to qualify for Nike license and produce and "Elite Series" of apparel.  That would be a big deal in terms of marketing the program out in the streets one day.  I know I jumped on a bunch of MD stuff when GW took the Terps to the FFs for their good run.  It doesn't have to be over too long a stretch, but I'm not sure the exact criteria.  Someone on this board might know - you all are fountains of knowledge.  I usually learn something here  :idiot2:

crgreen

« Reply #1472 on: September 08, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
Hall insider saying it's down to the Hall and UCLA.  Twelve more days to go.

The SHU board will melt down if KA selects SJU.

If Anderson's goal is to make the NBA, SJU will be difficult to beat.

UM.... I hope the kid comes here obviously but SJU has as many pros as SH. ONE

Soooo....then what's the comparison between the coach's pros (I think you mean NBA) - Lavin's at 13 and counting (and despite the 8 year layoff, 6 still active),  including 4 of his point guards (2 still active).   Has Williard produced any?  SHUs only is Dalembert - and he came into the league in 2002.  Iona's LAST was Sean Green, who last played in the NBA in 1994....

« Reply #1473 on: September 08, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
but SH is still in our weight divisoin within the BE.

Um, no.
Not even close yo.

Seriously, if WASJU honestly believes that the summer off has left him out of touch.

Gumby

« Reply #1474 on: September 08, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
He loved his visit, more importantly his mom loved everything about what she saw and heard. I have heard nothing new other than that this morning. Yes he and Shabazz are close,but Shabazz is  no UCLA lock. As for SH as down as they have been and as much as people here like to bash them it is still a good program with a personable HC who has left a really good impression on him and his family. As for the students showing up, yes thats an ego boost but if you think Pops(whos no dummy btw) is going to let that in any way influence where is son, a future pro is going to hone his skills, your crazy. From people that would 100% know he is still coming here. Way stranger things have happened then him not coming but I would be VERY VERY surprised if hes doesn't sign with SJU. VERY SURPRISED!

Thanks for the feedback!

I have been saying all along that KA's Dad and KA have not worked so hard over the past few years to take a chance on a school, that maybe moving up.  KA and his family are not just picking a school, but they are helping KA prepare for his career.  The college they select will be a finishing school.  To that end, it is vital that they select a school with both a great coach and a great coaching staff.  Frankly, there are just too many $$$ to be lost in making the wrong choice.  Who best can get KA ready for his career?

As I also previously mentioned, and I see SJU79 picked up on it, KA's Mom seemed to have a great time on campus.  I can just see her now at MSG sitting next to Coach C., who will bring her up to date on the entire BB history of St. John's after a few games, not to mention discussing a great recipe for chicken marsala.

Relax, JJ posters, Coach Lavin knows how to get KA ready for the next step and also how to allow him to have some fun along the way.  Afterall, KA is (will be) only 18!

KA and his Dad have made too much of an effort to go with the "B" team on 9/20!

« Reply #1475 on: September 08, 2011, 04:56:14 PM »
For all of those trippin over the Sept 20th date-what are you going to do if he changes his mind and cannot make a final decision and postpones it-maybe even to the late signing period in April-which is what his coach Bob Hurley advises all his players to do? I say we all take a chill pill and look forward to the start of this season and the tremendous 9 man recruiting class that we have all as of yet not seen play at the D1 level. Not to mention the 2 commits we already have and the knowledge it is a given that coach Lavs will continue to bring in many more high level recruits-it's all good!

If I can clarify many of Hurley's recruits commit to programs early.  However, Hurley asks them to give him their LOI until the spring signing period.  If the coach is still there and no violations have occurred that would change their eligibility he advises them to keep their commitment and if they agree sends their LOI in for them.  If one of those two situations changes he encourages them to decide if their commitment is still the right decision.

FWIW I think that's a tremendous thing that he does showing full understanding of who holds all the cards in this process, the schools, and the fact that the players need someone looking out for them more than they have now.  We sure know the NCAA has no interest in looking out for the kids.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:04:31 PM by yankcranker »

Gumby

« Reply #1476 on: September 08, 2011, 05:06:12 PM »
[/quote]

[/quote]

Soooo....then what's the comparison between the coach's pros (I think you mean NBA) - Lavin's at 13 and counting (and despite the 8 year layoff, 6 still active),  including 4 of his point guards (2 still active).   Has Willard produced any?  SHUs only is Dalembert - and he came into the league in 2002.  Iona's LAST was Sean Green, who last played in the NBA in 1994....
[/quote]

Sorry to do back to back posts, but I just saw the one from CR.

As usual, CR, you are on top of the stats.

We all know that the goals of both KA and his Dad are to get to the NBA and be a major contributor there.

CR's stats on Coach Lavin's players getting to the NBA tell it all.  Does 40 fans going to a local BB game to pressure KA, match up to Coach Lavin's  numbers on NBA players?

Another stat, CR, that I am sure you have is Coach Lavin's NCAA record compared to Coach W.

Numbers do talk volumes!  I am sure that KA and his family will be checking these numbers out in the next few days.

« Reply #1477 on: September 08, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »

[/quote]

Soooo....then what's the comparison between the coach's pros (I think you mean NBA) - Lavin's at 13 and counting (and despite the 8 year layoff, 6 still active),  including 4 of his point guards (2 still active).   Has Willard produced any?  SHUs only is Dalembert - and he came into the league in 2002.  Iona's LAST was Sean Green, who last played in the NBA in 1994....
[/quote]

Sorry to do back to back posts, but I just saw the one from CR.

As usual, CR, you are on top of the stats.

We all know that the goals of both KA and his Dad are to get to the NBA and be a major contributor there.

CR's stats on Coach Lavin's players getting to the NBA tell it all.  Does 40 fans going to a local BB game to pressure KA, match up to Coach Lavin's  numbers on NBA players?

Another stat, CR, that I am sure you have is Coach Lavin's NCAA record compared to Coach W.

Numbers do talk volumes!  I am sure that KA and his family will be checking these numbers out in the next few days.
[/quote]Many years ago, a kid like Kyle could go to a program like the one at Indiana St., stay 4 years, and make deep tourney runs and a very high ranking. 

And a coach like KW, who could possibly be a legendary coach in the making, could have a player believe he will build up a mostly barren roster by his Frosh year into a serious contender by the time he was a Senior.  Sadly (or not so sadly), those two types of scenarios really do not exist in today's collegiate recruiting and professional world.  We cn leave it to KA and his family what's best for his long term prospects.  But I do not see any dream scenarios in 2 years (max) of playing collegiate ball on certain squad(s).

« Reply #1478 on: September 08, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »
For all of those trippin over the Sept 20th date-what are you going to do if he changes his mind and cannot make a final decision and postpones it-maybe even to the late signing period in April-which is what his coach Bob Hurley advises all his players to do? I say we all take a chill pill and look forward to the start of this season and the tremendous 9 man recruiting class that we have all as of yet not seen play at the D1 level. Not to mention the 2 commits we already have and the knowledge it is a given that coach Lavs will continue to bring in many more high level recruits-it's all good!

If I can clarify many of Hurley's recruits commit to programs early.  However, Hurley asks them to give him their LOI until the spring signing period.  If the coach is still there and no violations have occurred that would change their eligibility he advises them to keep their commitment and if they agree sends their LOI in for them.  If one of those two situations changes he encourages them to decide if their commitment is still the right decision.

FWIW I think that's a tremendous thing that he does showing full understanding of who holds all the cards in this process, the schools, and the fact that the players need someone looking out for them more than they have now.  We sure know the NCAA has no interest in looking out for the kids.

Hurley won't impact Kyle's recruitment in the least. Other guys he's more invested in because they don't know any better but Kyle is well informed and supported by family.

« Reply #1479 on: September 08, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »

Hurley won't impact Kyle's recruitment in the least. Other guys he's more invested in because they don't know any better but Kyle is well informed and supported by family.
But I have to say that's a great bit of advice he gives and executes.  There's no gain to signing early. I still do not know why more recruits aren't counseled that way, even if they can easily get out of their scholly if school/coaching turmoil strikes.