Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S

• 772 replies

Marillac

Re: Amir Garrett - SF - Findlay Prep - Las Vegas, NV - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #540 on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:04 AM »
Amir, Norvel, Jakarr, and Nurideen have yet to be cleared yet academically. There also might be a reinvestigation of Maurice Harkless by the NCAA. But we will find out about all of them soon.

Hopefully we get clearance on them soon and without a hitch.  A reinvestigation of Mo would be disturbing and overboard considering the light penalties given to constantly cheating programs like Uconn, Ohio state and others.  Unbelievable that they might keep goingn with this for a kid who played 2 games when hicks was helping with the team.

Nurideen is on campus, and jakarr and Norvel have both twittered they are done. I hope your kidding about the reinvestigation of Mo. Either way, congrats to Amir. Hard work pays off.

Mo Harkless is not going to be reinvestigated.  This idiot has come on here with his prophecies and he has no connections. 

NYCoffey

« Reply #541 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:02 AM »
My bad for taking the bait. Either way I'm happy for Amir and even happier that he's going to be playing with us next year.

« Reply #542 on: August 16, 2011, 12:25:01 AM »
We won't be concerned if we see a new Hummer parked outside Taffner! 

« Reply #543 on: August 16, 2011, 12:34:35 AM »
Marillac why is it that you always seem to have something negative to say about everyones posts. You have yet to provide any useful posts yourself. May I ask where you get your info from besides the internet like most on here?! Stop being such a miserable old F@&! and post something useful for once. I have connections with people in SJU which as I have said before, I can't elaborate but I'd be more than glad to keep the info for myself and MCNPA since he seems to appreciate it  ;) Just cause a player is on campus or tweeted he's all good to go doesn't mean he has been cleared by the NCAA remember that. And next time read carefully what I post Marillac, I said that the NCAA MIGHT! reinvestigate Maurice. It hasn't been determined yet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:09:42 AM by SuperStarOneO5 »

« Reply #544 on: August 16, 2011, 12:42:17 AM »
It would have been sweet if the Reds payed for his college too so we could have had a scholarship freed up.  I know a guy the Mets signed did that because he is playing football at Texas Tech.

Gumby

« Reply #545 on: August 16, 2011, 01:36:19 AM »
Wow, a $1 million dollars, or does it count as $200K a year.  I think the Yankee #1 draft pick, D.B Jr., only got $1 million.  If that is correct then Amir made out okay.

I see that the Reds #1 pick, who just signed as well, is also a HS pitcher.  Should be interesting to see where both are assigned.  I think the minor league season only runs for another month.  Is there time for Amir to pitch a game or two before school begins?

Now the hard part begins, balancing baseball, basketball and school.

Great news, Amir!!!

Marillac

« Reply #546 on: August 16, 2011, 01:47:27 AM »
Wow, a $1 million dollars, or does it count as $200K a year.  I think the Yankee #1 draft pick, D.B Jr., only got $1 million.  If that is correct then Amir made out okay.

I see that the Reds #1 pick, who just signed as well, is also a HS pitcher.  Should be interesting to see where both are assigned.  I think the minor league season only runs for another month.  Is there time for Amir to pitch a game or two before school begins?

Great news, Amir!!!

I'm not sure how it will pan out.  A friend of mine was drafted by the Royals in the first round but tried to play football at Maryland and it just didn't work out for him.  Too bad...he had a better career ahead of him running the ball than he ended up having in baseball. 

Wods317

« Reply #547 on: August 16, 2011, 02:11:32 AM »
Marillac why is it that you always seem to have something negative to say about everyones posts. You have yet to provide any useful posts yourself. May I ask where you get your info from besides the internet like most on here?! Stop being such a miserable old F@&! and post something useful for once. I have connections with people in SJU which as I have said before, I can't elaborate but I'd be more than glad to keep the info for myself and MCNPA since he seems to appreciate it  ;) Just cause a player is on campus or tweeted he's all good to go doesn't mean he has been cleared by the NCAA remember that. And next time read carefully what I post Marillac, I said that the NCAA MIGHT! reinvestigate Maurice. It hasn't been determined yet.

People are going to be skeptical about people who say they have inside sources or connections until they prove it with good useful information to back it up. I'm not saying you are wrong or don't have some type of connection but until you provide some inside info people have the right to question it. SJU 79 always has the best info and even still some people question him, it just happens.

« Reply #548 on: August 16, 2011, 03:47:36 AM »
As some of you may remember I was the one who posted that Maurice Harkless was cleared by the NCAA a day before he tweeted it on his twitter and Zagsblog posted it. Despite Marillac's shit talking and denials then  :idiot2: LoL. I rarely post and and when I do, I can only post certain info pertaining to the SJU basketball team of which I am privileged with the knowledge and if the news hasn't already been posted or time is willing. The reason I posted the info on the players aforementioned was to clarify that they are not all cleared just yet. It does not mean that they won't but just to give you guys some hindsight on whats really going on. I as all of you true SJU fans would like to see everyone cleared and eligible to play for us. But despite all the posts of what postitions these kids are gonna play and what numbers they are gonna have, keep in mind that some of them might not even be cleared to play. Just keep your fingers crossed and I will post as each are given the green light.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:49:35 AM by SuperStarOneO5 »

« Reply #549 on: August 16, 2011, 07:19:11 AM »
I think people here, including myself, have been wrapped up in Kyle Anderson and dreaming of success. The reality is, we still have several hurdles to clear as we put this team together. All this Maurice stuff and eligibility issues are making me uneasy.

« Reply #550 on: August 16, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »
I'm not sure how well money and college basketball will mix. You certainly will be the odd man out when you're always flush and have a few 100K stashed away in the bank. Part of the camaraderie of college life is wondering if there's enough coins among you to order a few pizzas.

I hope Amir has the discipline and common sense to keep his money at a safe distance. I also hope that the coaches will give him some considered advice on the subject.

Moose

« Reply #551 on: August 16, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »

Great news, Amir!!!

Its split over 5 or 6 years I read.
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #552 on: August 16, 2011, 09:46:22 AM »
My bad for taking the bait. Either way I'm happy for Amir and even happier that he's going to be playing with us next year.

Haven't been able to find much coverage of the Amir/Reds signing.  Apparently it's a $1,000,000 signing bonus, but the bonus is spread over 5 years as part of the two-sport agreement.  So I'm assuming there's also actual salary under the contract that's not being reported as yet...

Wonder how that bonus works?  $200 K each year he reports to the minors after the hoop season and School are over (I'm assuming to remain eligible for basketball, Amir can't report to the minors till schools out) for 5 seasons?   Also wonder if there's a clause that pays the full amount if he leaves school?

The same report said the Reds #1 pick was given a $2,000,000 signging bonus, but as he's going straight to the minors, his is all $2Mil upfront.

MCNPA

« Reply #553 on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
Amir, Norvel, Jakarr, and Nurideen have yet to be cleared yet academically. There also might be a reinvestigation of Maurice Harkless by the NCAA. But we will find out about all of them soon.

Hopefully we get clearance on them soon and without a hitch.  A reinvestigation of Mo would be disturbing and overboard considering the light penalties given to constantly cheating programs like Uconn, Ohio state and others.  Unbelievable that they might keep goingn with this for a kid who played 2 games when hicks was helping with the team.

Nurideen is on campus, and jakarr and Norvel have both twittered they are done. I hope your kidding about the reinvestigation of Mo. Either way, congrats to Amir. Hard work pays off.

Mo Harkless is not going to be reinvestigated.  This idiot has come on here with his prophecies and he has no connections.

Actually, he broke the news about Harkless being cleared before anybody, including Mo on twitter.  It is certainly plausible that Amir, Jakarr and Pelle are still waiting for clearance on classes from Rise.  Lindsey I have no idea about either way.

crgreen

« Reply #554 on: August 16, 2011, 10:17:21 AM »
Should this thread be merged with the Amir thread on the recruiting board?

Anyway  - the reports are a $1 mil signing bonus spread over 5 seasons as part of the 2-sport agreement.   No word on the actual salary terms of the contract.

Marillac

« Reply #555 on: August 16, 2011, 10:51:53 AM »

Actually, he broke the news about Harkless being cleared before anybody, including Mo on twitter.  It is certainly plausible that Amir, Jakarr and Pelle are still waiting for clearance on classes from Rise.  Lindsey I have no idea about either way.

Their classs just ended...of course they are still awaiting clearance!  The Mo Harkless thing was broke after Mo hinted at it on Twitter the DAY BEFORE.  And his other contribution was that kids we saw a week earlier in photos from their Discover New York class at STJ, were on campus.  Posters have been coming and going for years with a few posts trying to break news and then disappearing if it doesn't come true and probably picking up a new handle.  I don't trust it. 

« Reply #556 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »
With Amir signing does that open up another scholarship since he is a pro in one sport and can not get a scholarhip in another?

Marillac

« Reply #557 on: August 16, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
With Amir signing does that open up another scholarship since he is a pro in one sport and can not get a scholarhip in another?

He can get a scholarship in another sport, just not the sport he signed professionally. 

« Reply #558 on: August 16, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »
Don't sweat the being cleared yet stuff. St. John's has a great academic support team that works on this stuff around the clock. They know everything that needs to be done and will make sure it is done.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

redslope

« Reply #559 on: August 16, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
Amir signed with the Cincinnatti Reds tonight. He will play for the Reds and bball at SJU.

Probably assign him to one of the rookie leagues which play short season; i.e. Brooklyn Cyclones type league.  would not expect him to pitch this year as too little time left and the danger of over extending and hurting the left arm.  Short season 2012 would be great with school finishing early May; he could report for "spring training" until season starts in late June.  It would give him a chance to develop arm strength without over extending.  season would end by Labor day plus a week for playoffs.  He would miss first two weeks of school.  The Reds could do the same for 2013.  After the 2013/14 season, Amir and the Reds could make an evaluated decision as to which sport offers the best opportunity for professional success.  If it is Baseball, he could "drop out" after the basketball season and start his full time commitment to baseball.

I am selfish as I would have liked to see him as a 2 sport star at St. John's.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:05:34 PM by redslope »