Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

paultzman

BTW-Told that the people advising Obekpa are complete clowns and have no clue what they are doing.

That seems to be the case as just about everybody is committed already and this kid still seems clueless about what he wants to do.  It makes sense.  All I need to know is whether or not this is good or bad for SJU?  At this point, the longer it takes I'm guessing the better for us, as Lavin builds a relationship with the kid over time.  Maybe by August we'll know what he wants to do. 

Or next week.

BTW-Told that the people advising Obekpa are complete clowns and have no clue what they are doing.

i know we're in need of a big man, but is it worth the risk to take on a kid that has clowns in his ear? will he/they be a pain to deal with for any program (ala Nuri)?

Happy

i know we're in need of a big man, but is it worth the risk to take on a kid that has clowns in his ear? will he/they be a pain to deal with for any program (ala Nuri)?

Most every kid who has potential in basketball has clowns in his ear.  It comes with the territory when recruiting kids nowadays.

That seems to be the case as just about everybody is committed already and this kid still seems clueless about what he wants to do.  It makes sense.  All I need to know is whether or not this is good or bad for SJU?  At this point, the longer it takes I'm guessing the better for us, as Lavin builds a relationship with the kid over time.  Maybe by August we'll know what he wants to do.

I don't think it means anything for SJU or Cincy because Lavin and Cronin know how to recruit and know the rules. 

But the kid is at IS8 games when he should be visiting schools and deciding where to go. 

paultzman

Most every kid who has potential in basketball has clowns in his ear.  It comes with the territory when recruiting kids nowadays.

Sad, but true Happy!

MCNPA

I don't think it means anything for SJU or Cincy because Lavin and Cronin know how to recruit and know the rules. 

But the kid is at IS8 games when he should be visiting schools and deciding where to go.

Fordham, where you think Obekpa ends up at this point?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:45:53 AM by MCNPA »

Fordham, where u think he ends up? 

I have no idea Marcus.  A week ago I was like everyone else, Cincy bound.

But now who knows.  I sure do like the picture of him on the back line of an SJU press with the type of athletes we can roll out now though.

It looks like we're right in the middle of it again and with Lavin reportedly "in constant contact" with Obekpa I like our chances down the stretch.

Theo - or others - what time are Felix and CO playing at IS8 on Saturday?

queensfinest and I will be there wearing SJU shirts.

Why not have as many of us there as possible to encourage the O man to make the right decision and get this over with?

It looks like we're right in the middle of it again and with Lavin reportedly "in constant contact" with Obekpa I like our chances down the stretch.

Theo - or others - what time are Felix and CO playing at IS8 on Saturday?

queensfinest and I will be there wearing SJU shirts.

Why not have as many of us there as possible to encourage the O man to make the right decision and get this over with?

where does it say lavin is "in constant contact"?

Zagoria's blog now says: "...St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin and Obekpa remain in touch on a weekly basis...."

I pulled the quote from his blog when I first saw it and saved it in quotes. Either it was changed or I'm delusional - probably the latter - sorry.

Moose

Zagoria's blog now says: "...St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin and Obekpa remain in touch on a weekly basis...."

I pulled the quote from his blog when I first saw it and saved it in quotes. Either it was changed or I'm delusional - probably the latter - sorry.

Your not delusional.  It was changed.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Your not delusional.  It was changed.

Thanks Moose that's a relief.

You know me well enough to have said: "You're delusional all right but it was changed."

dR3w

Perhaps "Constant Contact" and "Dead Period" don't go together?

When Shelden Williams was a freshman his offensive talent was extremely low his frosh year at Duke.  He traveled nearly every time he got the ball.  I assume he was still more talented than Obekpa, never having seen him play, based on all accounts, since Shelden averaged 8 points his frosh year.  That said, Shelden was a beast rebounder/shot blocker.  By his senior year, he averaged 19 a game and was an offensive force in college...of course until his offensive deficiencies were totally exposed in the NBA.  That said, just using him as an example of how a top defensive player that is EXTREMELY raw offensively can make an impact immediately, and also can become quite talented offensively with the right coaching.  Obekpa would be a great signing!

Even at the NBA level, look at what Tyson Chandler did for the Knicks defense basically singlehandedly. Was his contribution not paramount to the Knicks (relative) success this year? Tyson has no offensive skillset to speak of, he's got no post moves, no face up moves, no baby hook, just a sick rebounder who can flush it on an alleyoop. Think about how many extra possessions the Knicks had because Chandler tipped a ball back out on offense that he didn't even get credit for boarding. Blocked shots and offensive rebounds are demoralizing for the other team. If big Chris can bring those 2 things, then I don't give a shit if he doesn't attempt one field goal outside of a put back all season.

paultzman

+1

+1

But Zagoria's retraction of the phrase renders the question moot - does it not?

Anyone know when Obekpa and Balamou play on Saturday at IS8?

Happy

+1

2:45

Happy

+1

2:45

Which in is8 time usually means 3:30 :)

DaveKrupinski Hearing Chris Obekpa is a very strong lean to St. John's. No date set for announcement but hearing commitment to Storm is imminent #stjbb

DaveKrupinski Hearing Chris Obekpa is a very strong lean to St. John's. No date set for announcement but hearing commitment to Storm is imminent #stjbb

WOW!!!!