Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

desco80

GREAT JOB BY COACH LAVIN AND TONY C !!
To pull in this recruiting class when there were so many rumors surrounding the team, and coming off a very trying season... Just awesome.  They really are building something here at SJU.   We're not where a lot of us want to be, yet, but definitely on the road.   And it feels good.

Also I agree w Moose's sentiments that it'd be nice to lockup our star recruit early this fall.  Then if we have an extra ship in the spring, see if there's anybody out there who could really help us. 

And as always, props to Dave.  He must laugh at our debates some days when he has nuggets like that sitting in his pocket.   

Moose

Guys, our performance on the court this upcoming season will bring in the gems in 2013 let's not get worked up just yet. After a return to the tourney next season we'll be back in business. New all along he wasnt gonna be leaving his buddy Felix . Let's go johnnies !!

Actually I want the centerpiece of our 13 class wrapped by the early signing period which would be before we played any games.

Here's to hoping that's the case.
C'mon moose only for him to decommit by mid season. These kids have no idea what they want these days and and change there minds daily

Most kids actually sign an LOI.  Its upwards of 80% of the Top 100 or so I've seen each year wrap it up early.  Again this is my hope.  We don't have an abundance of ships.  I hope we can trail our target all summer.  Have him on campus to scrimmage with the boys unofficially.  And finally get ahead of pace like other big time schools who seem to always be a class ahead.
In a perfect world I'm 100% in agreement but the way things have been going Its wishful thinking . Besides has Lawrence even began making visits yet? You would think somehow chandler and wood are still in the fold. So our 13' class may be 50% solidified already.

Pretty sure Chandler wouldn't be a target because this is his prep year.  Wouldn't he have to JUCO or something next year?  I thought only those who qualified out of HS but elected JUCO were eligible to leave JUCO after 1 year.  Agree about Wood.  Remember in 2011 we had 7 of the 9 locked up in November before Lavin even coached a regular season game.
lets not speak to quick next thing you know chandler's ruled eligible next week or something lol. good ol' lavin. but yeah i definately agree with that , but this is a business of trends. whats hot now, whos hot now. the coachng change and imminent tourney appearance created a substantial amount of buzz, enough buzz and momentum to land 7 early ones (although we know how that story ended in a 13 win season) but with the signing of obekpa and maybe even a bolt up the recrutment rankings into the top 20  will create enough momentum maybe to get some more of the upper echelon recruits to really consider us consistently. but this is where i was eluding that on court performance will be the catalyst for that wishful thinking to become fact. we've definately gained some recrutiment momentum with chris but lets play a game first and give these guys a visual.

I and every other person on here including the site owner all felt a lot more positive about one guy and negative about the other.  How times have changed they have flip flopped.  Chandler could be eligible next week for all we know and we have the room to bring him in but my faith in that has withered over the past however many months.

All I'm saying is remember after the early signing period how there weren't many big name guys.  Only ones were actually the ones that reneged from us really ha.  I haven't heard any timing from Jermaine.  But I'd like to think and hope he is among the 80% plus who want to get it out of the way.
Remember who broke the Slice news

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
In Lavin We Trust. Wow just wow. I would have never thought any coach could have turned around the program so quickly after the last year of Norm's era. This is truly remarkable.

Great news! Welcome Felix!
What about Chris ? :)

Moose

Nice video on Rivals article.  But since its pay protected not sure who can see it.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1374347

kjd01067

Great news. I had faith that Lavin would deliver but have to admit I was starting to seriously worry.  Welcome aboard Chris

The O man is a Johnny.

This is icing on the cake for an excellent recruiting class.

Welcome aboard Chris!

Thanks Coach.

boo3

Nathan Blue ‏@Nateblueis4real
People didnt believe in @STJCoachLavin and the @STJ_Basketball basketball program. Now, #Stjbb is a top destination for basketball!

Moose

Now I can go fight the Cincy fans on the Rivals board.  Here is a doozy from them.

Originally posted by saliva:
Really really disappointing after UC led for this guy for months and St. Johns really was off the radar screen until a month or so ago. UC's mod on another site says there are reason$ the tide changed for $t. John$ so abruptly. Not sure I buy (pun intended) that explanation but Lavin has always been somewhat sketchy. I think most UC fans were honestly getting fed up with the drama and how far he was dragging it out, especially because he is no lock to qualify. But good luck to the kid, I just think he missed out on a great opportunity to step in for Gates and anchor the middle defensively for a program that made the sweet sixteen this past year and has another great squad returning for this upcoming season. Enjoy the NIT, Chris. And yes, I realize this sounds like sour grapes...

if we were ranked, where would we be this year?

top 10?

desco80

People didnt believe in @STJCoachLavin and the @STJ_Basketball basketball program. Now, #Stjbb is a top destination for basketball!

Nate always rep'ing St Johns.   Love it

Moose

if we were ranked, where would we be this year?

top 10?

Class? Or Team?
Team wouldn't be ranked.  All things considered but half the services don't account transfers, prep and JUCO's I say the class is Top 15-20.

desco80

Now I can go fight the Cincy fans on the Rivals board.  Here is a doozy from them.

Really really disappointing after UC led for this guy for months and St. Johns really was off the radar screen until a month or so ago. UC's mod on another site says there are reason$ the tide changed for $t. John$ so abruptly. Not sure I buy (pun intended) that explanation but Lavin has always been somewhat sketchy. I think most UC fans were honestly getting fed up with the drama and how far he was dragging it out, especially because he is no lock to qualify. But good luck to the kid, I just think he missed out on a great opportunity to step in for Gates and anchor the middle defensively for a program that made the sweet sixteen this past year and has another great squad returning for this upcoming season. Enjoy the NIT, Chris. And yes, I realize this sounds like sour grapes...

The Friar faithful are repeating their same accusations as well.   
I love how when we sign a player who was already committed to us, a juco Dominican-born player from the bronx, and a HS player from long island ... that somehow that wreaks of shady tactics lol.    These guys should be expected to be Redmen.   

If we signed the Nerlens Noels of the world their accusations would worry me.   This .. Ha! ... Is so obviously sour grapes.

NYCoffey

Who is NYCBaller on bearcat talk? That guy has that board under control.

Great news! Welcome Felix!
What about Chris ? :)

Hhaha wow thanks for the correction. Welcome Chris! and you too felix
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

If we were paying why would we wait so long as Chris could have signed with Cincy since April13th. Pure sour grapes. And who says Lavin is "sketchy". He recruited for Ucla and St J's not exactly chopped liver-would expect him to be a sucessful recruiter.

Yeah Nate!  You've got that right and Nate has done his job helping along the way!  We appreciate it!

Welcome to the program, Chris!

Chilleb

Guys, our performance on the court this upcoming season will bring in the gems in 2013 let's not get worked up just yet. After a return to the tourney next season we'll be back in business. New all along he wasnt gonna be leaving his buddy Felix . Let's go johnnies !!

Actually I want the centerpiece of our 13 class wrapped by the early signing period which would be before we played any games.

C'mon moose only for him to decommit by mid season. These kids have no idea what they want these days and and change there minds daily

Most kids actually sign an LOI.  Its upwards of 80% of the Top 100 or so I've seen each year wrap it up early.  Again this is my hope.  We don't have an abundance of ships.  I hope we can trail our target all summer.  Have him on campus to scrimmage with the boys unofficially.  And finally get ahead of pace like other big time schools who seem to always be a class ahead.
In a perfect world I'm 100% in agreement but the way things have been going Its wishful thinking . Besides has Lawrence even began making visits yet? You would think somehow chandler and wood are still in the fold. So our 13' class may be 50% solidified already.

Pretty sure Chandler wouldn't be a target because this is his prep year.  Wouldn't he have to JUCO or something next year?  I thought only those who qualified out of HS but elected JUCO were eligible to leave JUCO after 1 year.  Agree about Wood.  Remember in 2011 we had 7 of the 9 locked up in November before Lavin even coached a regular season game.
lets not speak to quick next thing you know chandler's ruled eligible next week or something lol. good ol' lavin. but yeah i definately agree with that , but this is a business of trends. whats hot now, whos hot now. the coachng change and imminent tourney appearance created a substantial amount of buzz, enough buzz and momentum to land 7 early ones (although we know how that story ended in a 13 win season) but with the signing of obekpa and maybe even a bolt up the recrutment rankings into the top 20  will create enough momentum maybe to get some more of the upper echelon recruits to really consider us consistently. but this is where i was eluding that on court performance will be the catalyst for that wishful thinking to become fact. we've definately gained some recrutiment momentum with chris but lets play a game first and give these guys a visual.

I and every other person on here including the site owner all felt a lot more positive about one guy and negative about the other.  How times have changed they have flip flopped.  Chandler could be eligible next week for all we know and we have the room to bring him in but my faith in that has withered over the past however many months.

All I'm saying is remember after the early signing period how there weren't many big name guys.  Only ones were actually the ones that reneged from us really ha.  I haven't heard any timing from Jermaine.  But I'd like to think and hope he is among the 80% plus who want to get it out of the way.
So aside from Lawrence who do you have your eye on ? Personally I think we need to bring in a pg next year as well

paultzman

“@JonRothstein: Steve Lavin has retooled St. John's in a big way 4 life after Moe Harkless. Red Storm have NCAA potential + most importantly-depth in 12-13.”

“@JonRothstein: Chris Obekpa will be an absolute menace in SJU's matchup zone. Shotblocker is still raw offensively, but a game changer on defense.”

Nice comments from HS coach about why SJU selected;

“@AdamZagoria: Updated Chris Obekpa to #stjbb with Eric Jaklitsch quotes. He said Chris is not doing interviews today http://t.co/qJsUnNXP
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:45:06 PM by paultzman »

desco80

So aside from Lawrence who do you have your eye on ? Personally I think we need to bring in a pg next year as well

Chilleb you think after Jermaine we need to look for a pg?   It was starting to sound like Jordan and Sina werent listing us anymore, but who knows.
Based soley on what's reported, I was getting the impression the staff was doubling down on post players and were hard after the two kids from Louisiana.. Martin and Jones or Mike Young from NJ.   But who knows. 
Maybe they take a best player available approach ... Regardless of position.