Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1400 on: April 06, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »
o
We were still in the top 3 for Kyle Anderson before he announced, but no way the staff thought they were confident getting him. Sometimes you see the writing on the wall I think. If they are confident with Jordan I'll takke that as a good sign. However it would be foolish to think he's coming here until he signs. Still days to go and anything can happen.

Agree with the above.  We're we not also guaranteed by some posters that Lawrence was a done deal as well.  It ain't over till the fat lady sings or at least until she signs a LOI.

Recent comments reflect reporters touting SJU staff confidence in getting RS, nothing more, nothing less. Sounds like we remain in this, but I for one am cautiously optimistic. That said, would not be shocked not to get him. We'll see.

i know most guys will say twitter is not a good indication of what's on a kid's mind, but if you follow enough, you can start to see trends that draw to logical conclusions. kids use it as a platform to express themselves. happened with kyle and most recently happened with amir (he hinted at leaving a week or so before he announced).  with that said, i have little confidence Sheed commits to us. my money is on Temple.

What did Amir say that hinted something.

Don't remember exact quote, but said something about making tough decision

Tiznow

« Reply #1401 on: April 06, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »
A scary thought...if Jordan does in fact commit to Temple, that will mean that top players actually DO stay home.  :o Something we wouldn't know about.

Where was Harkless from?

« Reply #1402 on: April 06, 2013, 04:43:24 PM »
A scary thought...if Jordan does in fact commit to Temple, that will mean that top players actually DO stay home.  :o Something we wouldn't know about.

Where was Harkless from?

And Obeka, Felix, and Orlando

Moose

« Reply #1403 on: April 06, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

Honestly I don't really consider them NY'ers.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #1404 on: April 06, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

They are not New York City kids. They are kids, or in Sanchez' case grown men who happen to be playing close by.

We should strive to be in a place where local kids dream of going to St.John's, and not some worthless dirtbag Midwestern hell hole. We would never take only city kids, but rather pick and choose. These kids think they're all NBA all stars, when in fact, hardly any even get significant minutes in the league, let alone make it.

Expanding our recruiting to the states across the country is the best example of how Lavin has changed the face of our program. Now we just have win because of it, and we're golden.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:14:41 PM by Moose »

« Reply #1405 on: April 06, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

They are not New York City kids. They are kids, or in Sanchez' case grown men who happen to be playing close by.

We should strive to be in a place where local kids dream of going to St.John's, and not some worthless dirtbag Midwestern hell hole. We would never take only city kids, but rather pick and choose. These kids think they're all NBA all stars, when in fact, hardly any even get significant minutes in the league, let alone make it.

Expanding our recruiting to the states across the country is the best example of how Lavin has changed the face of our program. Now we just have win because of it, and we're golden.

Poison, you have been on point with your analysis and comments the last few weeks. I've agreed with just about every post.

« Reply #1406 on: April 06, 2013, 07:17:32 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

Queens but I believe he was barely in the top 50 at #43 or something. Jordan is around top 25 and would be the best recruit Lavin has gotten rank wise for us.

Felix, Obekpa, and Sanchez are not even NYC area kids. What are you talking about? They also don't fall under the "top recruit" part that I mentioned.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:22:02 PM by RedStormyNight »

gman

« Reply #1407 on: April 06, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

Queens but I believe he was barely in the top 50 at #43 or something. Jordan is around top 25 and would be the best recruit Lavin has gotten rank wise for us.

Felix, Obekpa, and Sanchez are not even NYC area kids. What are you talking about? They also don't fall under the "top recruit" part that I mentioned.

Pelle was 23

« Reply #1408 on: April 06, 2013, 07:41:25 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

Your posts are insufferable. I suggest switching your rooting interests to Kentucky because you will be disappointed every year if harkless isn't good enough NY talent for your taste. Obekpa and Sanchez were highly coveted recruits that St Johns routinely missed on prior to Lavin. Wake up
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:41:50 PM by Gray Chudney »

« Reply #1409 on: April 06, 2013, 07:45:33 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

Give it a break. Top 50 is fantastic.  If Harkless was coming out of high school this year and Lavin didn't get him, would it not be a big deal? I mean it's not like he's a top recruit or anything..
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #1410 on: April 06, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

Joe XII, are you that little guy in North Korea being a nuisance?

« Reply #1411 on: April 06, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

You might not consider them NY'ers, but they consider themselves new yorkers. I believe all 3 of them said something about wanting to stay close to home, or a place they consider home.

Moose

« Reply #1412 on: April 06, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »

Where was Harkless from?

You might not consider them NY'ers, but they consider themselves new yorkers. I believe all 3 of them said something about wanting to stay close to home, or a place they consider home.

That is true.  They are new to a foreign country so yes staying close to home would make sense instead of learning a whole new place again.

But when posters here yearn for NY'ers they want a kid from the Bx, Queens or Brooklyn that has cut their teeth in the PSAL or CHSAA.  Not saying I agree with it but thats the NY kid people have that infatuation with.

Its funny actually a school like OSNA will continue to get foreign players which could bode well for us while the rest of those born and bred NY'ers are leaving town for high schools and prep schools elsewhere.

« Reply #1413 on: April 06, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
I def consider Obekpa and Felix NY kids. They played at least 2 years at OSNA didn't they?

« Reply #1414 on: April 06, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »
What I said was true...those 3 players were NOT from the NYC area. Some of them played JUCO or other levels in the NYC area, but are not from there. Aren't Obekpa and Felix from Africa? And Sanchez is from DR. Facts don't seem to matter to some of you...just who's posting them does. Harkless is a VERY good recruit obviously...but like I said Jordan would be the BEST recruit Lavin ever pulled for us if he comes ranking wise. I love Harkless but I think some people overrate him at the college level. He is doing great in the NBA right now, but as a rookie he wasn't amazing. He had a few 30 pt monster games, but he couldn't shoot for his life and Harrison was the clear go to guy even with him here.

There is talk that Jordan will be upgraded to a 5 star prospect now. We have yet to have one under Lavin. All I'm saying is, if he goes to Temple it's a wakeup call that we need to get NYC area's best players i.e. Calhoun, McCollough, Lawrence, etc. to be more loyal. What that takes I don't know, but we have to own NYC's best before we can be dominant again.

paultzman

« Reply #1415 on: April 06, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
What I said was true...those 3 players were NOT from the NYC area. Some of them played JUCO or other levels in the NYC area, but are not from there. Aren't Obekpa and Felix from Africa? And Sanchez is from DR. Facts don't seem to matter to some of you...just who's posting them does. Harkless is a VERY good recruit obviously...but like I said Jordan would be the BEST recruit Lavin ever pulled for us if he comes ranking wise. I love Harkless but I think some people overrate him at the college level. He is doing great in the NBA right now, but as a rookie he wasn't amazing. He had a few 30 pt monster games, but he couldn't shoot for his life and Harrison was the clear go to guy even with him here.

There is talk that Jordan will be upgraded to a 5 star prospect now. We have yet to have one under Lavin. All I'm saying is, if he goes to Temple it's a wakeup call that we need to get NYC area's best players i.e. Calhoun, McCollough, Lawrence, etc. to be more loyal. What that takes I don't know, but we have to own NYC's best before we can be dominant again.

Joe, count stars at your leisure;

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/141635/rysheed-jordan

Moose

« Reply #1416 on: April 06, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/141635/rysheed-jordan

Only 2nd best player in Pennsylvania?
I want the 1st

paultzman

« Reply #1417 on: April 06, 2013, 08:41:24 PM »

Only 2nd best player in Pennsylvania?
I want the 1st

Lavin has never gotten a # 1 rated player in Pa. Or Montana for that matter. Joe XIV is on to something.

« Reply #1418 on: April 06, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »

Well look at that, he's now 5 stars. If Temple can land one there is no reason we can't. Is that so crazy to say? Especially considering we have a coach well known for his recruiting ability.

desco80

« Reply #1419 on: April 06, 2013, 09:48:37 PM »

Well look at that, he's now 5 stars. If Temple can land one there is no reason we can't. Is that so crazy to say? Especially considering we have a coach well known for his recruiting ability.

You're overstating the importance of a 5 star recruit Joe.   Providence had 2 last year, how did that work out for them?  Houston had one too, and Pitt has had 2 in recent years, Birch and Adams, and they've been less competitive the last two years than at any other point in this decade.  I could go on (Arkansas has a 5star coming in.. etc)

Don't forget Dom Pointer was ranked as high as 24, and Jordan is coming in around 22.  The rankings only tell you so much.   And they usually over emphasize certain attributes (like height) at the expense of guys who see the court well and can shoot.

Getting a loi from Jordan isn't a sign that all is well with the program.    Nor does it mean the sky is falling.
Things like the makeup of the roster, chemistry, and coaching matter just as much as recruiting ranks.   I can be as critical as anyone but you gotta think big picture.   And in my mind goals for this offseason go: 1) get D'angelo onboard and in a good place, 2) recruit the hell out of centers and forwards in the '14 class, 3) sign Jordan. 
* and I'll add as an aside to re-evaluate the roles of the staff (although I doubt that happens).