Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S

• 2186 replies
Re: Rysheed Jordan - PG - Vaux Roberts - Philadelphia, PA - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1280 on: April 04, 2013, 08:19:15 AM »
this shows that ucla is in a different stratosphere than st john's.

Not really debating the level of the two programs but Lavin has already put a kid in the NBA in his first real recruiting class, with another two (at least) on the current team likely to make the league (Jakarr, Obekpa and possibly SirDom). 

Moose

« Reply #1281 on: April 04, 2013, 08:32:42 AM »

In other earth shattering news, the sky is blue.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1282 on: April 04, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
Zags tweeted that Alford is unlikely to retain Korey McCray.  I am pretty sure he is the lead recruiter on Jordan.

So short recruiting calendar, new coach and new lead recruiter.

Zags tweeted Alford is keeping McCray on in an administrative role.  Pretty good coup because he is clearly qualified to be a full time assistant.

Also would be interested to see how the 2 year non-recruiting rule applies here.  In other words McCray was associated with th major AAU power Celtics.  He was hired as a full time assistant at UCLA in June of 2011.  So come June 2013 he will have been at UCLA for 2 years.  However that was a different role then now.  I think the non-recruiting window starts now, meaning for the next 2 years UCLA cannot recruit players he was associated with.

« Reply #1283 on: April 04, 2013, 01:09:46 PM »
Lavin should try to bring McCray on board...

wishful thinking...

crgreen

« Reply #1284 on: April 04, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
Zags tweeted that Alford is unlikely to retain Korey McCray.  I am pretty sure he is the lead recruiter on Jordan.

So short recruiting calendar, new coach and new lead recruiter.

Zags tweeted Alford is keeping McCray on in an administrative role.  Pretty good coup because he is clearly qualified to be a full time assistant.

Also would be interested to see how the 2 year non-recruiting rule applies here.  In other words McCray was associated with th major AAU power Celtics.  He was hired as a full time assistant at UCLA in June of 2011.  So come June 2013 he will have been at UCLA for 2 years.  However that was a different role then now.  I think the non-recruiting window starts now, meaning for the next 2 years UCLA cannot recruit players he was associated with.

May be just a way to keep paying Kory while he looks for another coaching job.  Likely something in the incentives part of the original contract to leave the Atlanta Celtics.   An administrative position would preclude him from off campus recruiting or oncourt coaching  - the two areays Kory provides value.  Reports are DOBO Tyus Edney has been retained, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of need for retaining Kory past the transition period, other than contractual obligations.

Or maybe they're holding him TO his contract so he can't jump across town and join Andy Enfield's staff at rival U$C  :)

« Reply #1285 on: April 04, 2013, 07:16:28 PM »

In other earth shattering news, the sky is blue.

not in st john's neighborhood...in the winter.

« Reply #1286 on: April 04, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »

not anymore...no buzz at UCLA...

« Reply #1287 on: April 04, 2013, 08:59:15 PM »
St. John's IS in a different stratosphere than UCLA. UCLA is a BCS school, has way more prestige than us both academically and athletically. Recruiting at UCLA is MUCH easier than recruiting at St. John's where we had 1 good year in the past decade and can't even come close to their history. If he is truly a great recruiter, let's see him get McDonalds AA's here at SJ. Providence did it...they got 2. Why can't we?

If they can get 5 star guys so can we. In the grand scheme of things Lavin is a good recruiter, but I'm not seeing that high major talent i.e. Big East POY guys. True, Harkless might have been if he stayed, but he is really the only true stud we have had here under him. Sampson is good but needs to get a lot better...he gets a ton of rim on many shots and has that awkward release. I guess what I'm saying is, where are the McD AA's and the 5 star top 25 guys?

« Reply #1288 on: April 04, 2013, 09:01:29 PM »
St. John's IS in a different stratosphere than UCLA. UCLA is a BCS school
What does being a BCS school have to do with anything?  SMU is a BCS school too.

« Reply #1289 on: April 04, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »
St. John's IS in a different stratosphere than UCLA. UCLA is a BCS school, has way more prestige than us both academically and athletically. Recruiting at UCLA is MUCH easier than recruiting at St. John's where we had 1 good year in the past decade and can't even come close to their history. If he is truly a great recruiter, let's see him get McDonalds AA's here at SJ. Providence did it...they got 2. Why can't we?

If they can get 5 star guys so can we. In the grand scheme of things Lavin is a good recruiter, but I'm not seeing that high major talent i.e. Big East POY guys. True, Harkless might have been if he stayed, but he is really the only true stud we have had here under him. Sampson is good but needs to get a lot better...he gets a ton of rim on many shots and has that awkward release. I guess what I'm saying is, where are the McD AA's and the 5 star top 25 guys?

Do you remember what recruiting was like even five years ago?  Even chronic message board whiners would sign up for our current stable of talent. Perspective

« Reply #1290 on: April 04, 2013, 09:08:03 PM »
St. John's IS in a different stratosphere than UCLA. UCLA is a BCS school
What does being a BCS school have to do with anything?  SMU is a BCS school too.
Yep and they signed a MCD AA guard this week!
 :uglystupid2:

« Reply #1291 on: April 04, 2013, 09:35:59 PM »

Exactly, so doesn't that make the caliber of players brought in even that more impressive?

Also, Jakarr was much better then McD all american Kris Dunn this year. Truth be told Jakarr was a 5 star player. Jakarr was the best player at Brewster last year which included 5 star Mitch McGarry and McD AA TJ Warren. Nerlens Noel was probably the only player in New England better then Jakarr. McD all americans are biased & subjective just as ESPN & Scout services are.

I apologize if I sound like a jerk or a know it all, but some of your statements are ridiculous

« Reply #1292 on: April 04, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »

Exactly, so doesn't that make the caliber of players brought in even that more impressive?

Also, Jakarr was much better then McD all american Kris Dunn this year. Truth be told Jakarr was a 5 star player. Jakarr was the best player at Brewster last year which included 5 star Mitch McGarry and McD AA TJ Warren. Nerlens Noel was probably the only player in New England better then Jakarr. McD all americans are biased & subjective just as ESPN & Scout services are.

I apologize if I sound like a jerk or a know it all, but some of your statements are ridiculous

After watching McGarrybin this tournament, I would completely disagree

boo3

« Reply #1293 on: April 04, 2013, 09:42:39 PM »

Imagine Sampson got to play with Burke, Hardaway, and Robinson. Lot easier being option 4 than option 1 1/2 as a freshman.

Moose

« Reply #1294 on: April 04, 2013, 09:44:29 PM »

McGary is 21 yrs old
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #1295 on: April 04, 2013, 09:45:37 PM »

You need to relax. I don't think STJ fandom is for you if you have this little patience...Most of us have been waiting 20+ years ( sans '99-00) for something good to happen..

« Reply #1296 on: April 04, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »

McGary is 21 yrs old

Sanchez can be his grandfather

boo3

« Reply #1297 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »
 great comeback Baldi...  ::)

« Reply #1298 on: April 04, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »

McGary is 21 yrs old
[/quote]

Sanchez can be his grandfather
[/quote]

Expect big things from him too in the tourney next year!

« Reply #1299 on: April 04, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
great comeback Baldi...  ::)

Thanks, worked hard on that. But seriously, Mcgarry has been ballin. Most improved player over the course of this season imo