Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies

boo3

Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
 I don't know Nate, but he comes across as someone who genuinely cares for the kids he advises.

He's actually one of my favorite people to follow on twitter.  He actually will answer your questions.  Seems like a a great guy to have in STJ corner, regardless of what Moe ends up doing.

I'm in the camp that does not believe that the world will come to an end if Moe goes pro. We will be fine, especially if Jakarr comes aboard.

« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2012, 08:17:11 PM »
Good points on both sides.. However, probably best to end this conversation. Jimmy B can defend himself and we have nothing to gain by bashing the other party.

« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »
The way Nate reacted to Boeheim's correct comments leads me to believe that he thinks Moe is ready for the NBA, and that doesn't bode well for his chances of staying here.

The way he reacted to Boeheim's comments leads me to believe that he has no business opening his mouth.

How is his 'reaction' in a public forum any different than the same exact thing people do here by posting away on a message board?

He actually puts his name to it. Something many people wouldn't be willing to do.

True, but some posters do use their names.
holla mjmaherjr :)

« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »

HOWEVER, when you grow up in the economic situation and family situation he is in, it is in no way shape or form a "no brainer" to risk losing everything to come back another year.  At the very least its a very hard decision either way.  Don't try telling a guy or his family that sticking it out in poverty another year when theres that much money on the table is a "no brainer".  That's almost an insult to reality. 

Theo you are one of the few posters I haven't met yet and I think you are a cool poster BUT I'm just saying that it's kind of funny seeing you defend people of less privilege when all you write about on your Facebook account during the year is going back to your summer camp in the summers to hook up with chicks and to follow O.A.R in concert around the world during the rest of the year. LOL

For some reason I don't think Theo Rabinowitz lived the hard knocks life :)

Mike

« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2012, 09:01:46 PM »
I'm glad somebody called Boeheim out for that crap.  I'm a big fan of Nate.

Would you still be a big fan if he leads his next 3 top players to Rutgers and not St. John's?

Moose

« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »
I'm glad somebody called Boeheim out for that crap.  I'm a big fan of Nate.

Would you still be a big fan if he leads his next 3 top players to Rutgers and not St. John's?

Well if our posters keep bashing him the decision will be easy :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »

HOWEVER, when you grow up in the economic situation and family situation he is in, it is in no way shape or form a "no brainer" to risk losing everything to come back another year.  At the very least its a very hard decision either way.  Don't try telling a guy or his family that sticking it out in poverty another year when theres that much money on the table is a "no brainer".  That's almost an insult to reality. 

Theo you are one of the few posters I haven't met yet and I think you are a cool poster BUT I'm just saying that it's kind of funny seeing you defend people of less privilege when all you write about on your Facebook account during the year is going back to your summer camp in the summers to hook up with chicks and to follow O.A.R in concert around the world during the rest of the year. LOL

You lost me at O.A.R...

« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2012, 09:25:20 PM »

You lost me at O.A.R...
I didn't know who they were either but Theo follows them around like they were the grateful dead.

No joke if they play 8 times he sees them 9

boo3

« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »

You lost me at O.A.R...
I didn't know who they were either but Theo follows them around like they were the grateful dead.

Lol.  I know who they are, i'm just not a big fan.  I see a ton of live music myself, but i'm a bit older than Theo. I used to see the Dead a bunch back in the day, so i know all about touring.  Tough with job, wife, and kids now though... 

« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2012, 09:30:47 PM »

You lost me at O.A.R...

Lol.  I know who they are, i'm just not a big fan.  I see a ton of live music myself, but i'm a bit older than Theo. I used to see the Dead a bunch back in the day, so i know all about touring.  Tough with job, wife, and kids now though... 
Damn I thought you were younger than me and I'm 42. I'm not even sure if Theo is legal to drink yet

boo3

« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »

You lost me at O.A.R...

Damn I thought you were younger than me and I'm 42. I'm not even sure if Theo is legal to drink yet

I'll be 39 in 2 weeks.

« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:31 PM »

You lost me at O.A.R...

I'll be 39 in 2 weeks.
Well at least I was right about you being younger. :)

« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2012, 09:53:02 PM »
I agree that if he came back another year he'd be a higher pick, get a bigger first contract which could lead to a bigger second contract.  I am in total agreement on that.

And is he as strong as he should be?? No.  Does his jump shot need work?? Yes.  But since when were there not weight rooms and strength coaches in NBA practice facilities?? Since when were there not coaches in the NBA that can work with a player on their jumpsuit?? These can all be fixed just as easily or even MORE easily in the NBA than in college (where dumb NCAA rules only allow a few hours of workouts with coaches per week in offseason). 

Do you get better playing or practicing? I agree on the skills training he will get at the next level, but can't imagine from what I saw this year that he will get much playing time next year if he goes. The money is the issue, and the security it can bring to his family. I believe it was in the Nerlens Noel story in the NY Times, that many kids who don't have extended careers, go through their money pretty quickly, I was surprised how fast. Easy for me to say, but believe another year would benefit him greatly as he matures both physically and mentally. Watching Brad Beal of U. of  Florida last Saturday, I can see him getting solid minutes right away, don't feel that way about Moe at all.

After reading Nate Blue's comments on Boeheim, I hope Moe has someone in his family more  mature and intelligent advising him. Thought Boeheim's advice was on the money for Moe. Either way it was a pleasure watching him this year.

Whoa. I'm not if you know Nate or not but I do. He speaks his mind and his online persona may come across poorly to some but he knows what he's doing. He's very smart when it comes to this stuff. Real recognize real! Nate can read situations very well. He's very loyal too and he has St. John's interest in mind. Just let things play out.

Trying to understand your side, but after the 4th or 5th tweet, I question that opinion. I wouldn't know Nate if he walked in the door, but the Boeheim quote was not that offensive, it was just an opinion. Nate was offensive, wouldn't you agree?

No doubt Boeheim didn't say anything 'bad' per se.
But doesnt he have his own crap he should be concerning himself with.
Lavin isn't going to comment on Uconn or Cuse matters.

In fairness he was asked about it by Steve Serby in the Post as part of a larger interview.  I'm sorry I don't see anything particularly offensive in his quote.

More importantly what happened to the theory put forth by some that claimed that when rival coaches said good things about Norm Roberts that they were actually subliminally saying that they wanted SJU to keep Norm because he sucks and they would presumably benefit. 

Well wouldn't that apply here to?  In other words everybody agrees that SJU is STRONGER WITH Harkless then without him next year.  Why would Boeheim be urging him to stay at SJU to the detriment of those who have to play him next year including Syracuse?

I know that he was asked the question its not like he volunteered it.  But he can also decline to answer it.  I think it was a sit down and not post game presser where he would be 'on the spot'.  I said I didn't see anything offense at all either. He should mind his own business.  I don't know why he was even asked the question.  The shoe fits both ways as in him saying he should leave also.  Saying he should stay can also be interpreted as a put down.

You love bringing up the Norm Nice Guy theory.  Do I think coaches say good things about their bretheren yes.  Am I smart enough to interpret 'why' they are saying that, nope.

My issue is I don't think he should be commenting on other players and what they should or shouldnt do with the NBA Draft.  Call him a great player, loads of potential.  Leave it at that.  Thats my two cents.

The Norm comment was not meant for you it was meant for others.

And Serby asked an innocent question because he is a NY reporter and SJU is the NY school in the Big East and Boeheim answered it.  I don't have any issues with it.

gman

« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »

Let's leave O.A.R out of this.  They never hurt anyone!

« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »

Let's leave O.A.R out of this.  They never hurt anyone!

EXACTLY!!! haha.  No i absolutely did not grow up in any hard knock life but I'm sensitive enough to know that people DO grow up in a different financial situation and that it's easy to sit up on a perch and say to turn down that money but that's simply not reality.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #235 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:33 PM »
I agree that if he came back another year he'd be a higher pick, get a bigger first contract which could lead to a bigger second contract.  I am in total agreement on that.

And is he as strong as he should be?? No.  Does his jump shot need work?? Yes.  But since when were there not weight rooms and strength coaches in NBA practice facilities?? Since when were there not coaches in the NBA that can work with a player on their jumpsuit?? These can all be fixed just as easily or even MORE easily in the NBA than in college (where dumb NCAA rules only allow a few hours of workouts with coaches per week in offseason).

Who's side are you on, T?  Redmen fans every where should be a united front in saying, knowing and writing that Moe and his family's interests are best served by returning for another season or two.

Now that's a no brainer.

« Reply #236 on: March 13, 2012, 11:37:48 PM »
How can you not like Nate Blue? Dude is for real.

Poison

« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2012, 12:18:01 AM »
How can you not like Nate Blue? Dude is for real.

Dude is an amateur.

« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2012, 12:19:03 AM »
If you dont like his tweets then dont follow him. He gave his opinion and he has a right to voice it. He isn't a coach and doesn't work for the team so what he said is totally harmless. He did nothing wrong

kob24

« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:49 AM »
Good bye mo and good luck. The nicest kid I have met other than erv walker in this basketball community. We will be fine let him follow his dream that boy will be just fine