2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies
Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #660 on: August 19, 2013, 06:20:53 PM »
The December Syracuse showdown in the Garden is unquestionably the most critical game on the schedule.

It's a huge barometer for where we are as a program. Can we finally protect our house, our city? This will very likely be a Top25 matchup, arguably a sellout depending on the press/momentum.

Not only will it sway our RPI, I think that this is the biggest game the program has had in 10+ years on multiple levels.

Thoughts?

Agree it's an important game for pride, as a barometer and as an RPI driver.  But I don't think it'll be a top 25 match-up.  Even if the team is 8-0 going in I don't think the wins, unless rousing and well covered, over Wisconsin, Penn St and Ole Miss/Ga Tech will be enough to get STJ ranked, maybe noticed but probably not ranked.  Coming out of the game 9-0 is another story.

8-0 with wins over Wisconsin, PSU and Ole Miss/GT will 100% be good enough for a ranking.

« Reply #661 on: August 19, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
The December Syracuse showdown in the Garden is unquestionably the most critical game on the schedule.

It's a huge barometer for where we are as a program. Can we finally protect our house, our city? This will very likely be a Top25 matchup, arguably a sellout depending on the press/momentum.

Not only will it sway our RPI, I think that this is the biggest game the program has had in 10+ years on multiple levels.

Thoughts?

Agree it's an important game for pride, as a barometer and as an RPI driver.  But I don't think it'll be a top 25 match-up.  Even if the team is 8-0 going in I don't think the wins, unless rousing and well covered, over Wisconsin, Penn St and Ole Miss/Ga Tech will be enough to get STJ ranked, maybe noticed but probably not ranked.  Coming out of the game 9-0 is another story.

8-0 with wins over Wisconsin, PSU and Ole Miss/GT will 100% be good enough for a ranking.

Absolutely.  If we are undefeated over a month into the season we will be ranked.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #662 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:10 PM »
I think if we beat Wisconsin we'll be ranked in week 2.  We're probably going to in the "others receiving votes" category to start the season.

« Reply #663 on: August 19, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
I think if we beat Wisconsin we'll be ranked in week 2.  We're probably going to in the "others receiving votes" category to start the season.
Agree

« Reply #664 on: August 19, 2013, 08:41:37 PM »

Why would that be?  First, most of the teams ranked over STJ wouldn't have played yet by Poll#2 (after that game) so they're not dropping.  Second, Wisconsin, while a good team, isn't going to be ranked and from polls I've seen is expected to be at best the 6th best team in the Big Ten.  It's a good win but not a statement win.  Third, if this is the case Wisconsin will start the season 0-2 since their second game is against Florida, so the win will shrink in value by poll #3.  Then there's no chance for a high quality win until Syracuse.  I don't see it.

desco80

« Reply #665 on: August 19, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »

Why would that be?  First, most of the teams ranked over STJ wouldn't have played yet by Poll#2 (after that game) so they're not dropping.  Second, Wisconsin, while a good team, isn't going to be ranked and from polls I've seen is expected to be at best the 6th best team in the Big Ten.  It's a good win but not a statement win.  Third, if this is the case Wisconsin will start the season 0-2 since their second game is against Florida, so the win will shrink in value by poll #3.  Then there's no

Why would that be?  First, most of the teams ranked over STJ wouldn't have played yet by Poll#2 (after that game) so they're not dropping.  Second, Wisconsin, while a good team, isn't going to be ranked and from polls I've seen is expected to be at best the 6th best team in the Big Ten.  It's a good win but not a statement win.  Third, if this is the case Wisconsin will start the season 0-2 since their second game is against Florida, so the win will shrink in value by poll #3.  Then there's no chance for a high quality win until Syracuse.  I don't see it.

We don't need a statement win to be ranked 24 or 25, just plain old w's.  We have hype going into the season, preseason polls and opinions matter.   

« Reply #666 on: August 20, 2013, 05:02:13 PM »
Ergo every article wondering why there's no hype about STJ.  Got it.

If the team is getting votes in the preseason enough to be 28-31 or so then maybe but I doubt it.  Let's hope they get to 8-0 so one of us is proven wrong rather than this being a moot debate.

« Reply #667 on: August 20, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »
We will definitely be top 35 pre-season.  A nice out of conference run will have us in the top 25 by the time BE play comes along.

« Reply #670 on: August 27, 2013, 09:40:46 AM »
Any news when big east schedule will be released?

MCNPA

« Reply #671 on: August 27, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
Article about Wisc. trip to Canada

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/collegebasketball/wisconsin-badgers/story/Trip-to-Canada-brings-change-of-pace-for?blockID=930601&feedID=5065

They lost to Carleton in first game.

I actually heard Carleton is quite decent.  Syracuse was losing to Carleton by 15, but rallied to win in OT. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:56:05 AM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #672 on: August 27, 2013, 10:16:36 AM »
Article about Wisc. trip to Canada

http://www.foxsportswisconsin.com/collegebasketball/wisconsin-badgers/story/Trip-to-Canada-brings-change-of-pace-for?blockID=930601&feedID=5065

They lost to Carleton in first game.

I actually heard Carleton is quite decent.  Syracuse was losing to Carleton by 15, but rallied to win in OT. 

Best team in Canada.

« Reply #673 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »

paultzman

« Reply #674 on: August 27, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »
One man's opinion;

“@nybuckets: I also highly recommend @HudsonGiles' piece about #SJUBB and their struggles on offense the past few seasons. http://nycbuckets.com/2013/08/how-st-johns-ends-its-offensive-drought/

Poison

« Reply #675 on: August 27, 2013, 06:01:55 PM »
One man's opinion;

“@nybuckets: I also highly recommend @HudsonGiles' piece about #SJUBB and their struggles on offense the past few seasons. http://nycbuckets.com/2013/08/how-st-johns-ends-its-offensive-drought/

My opinion: Why couldn't we score? We had no shooters.

paultzman

« Reply #676 on: August 28, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »
"3. The Big East confirmed that its conference schedule will be released next week. The old Big East was always one of the last conferences to release its schedule because of so may pro arenas in the conference. That hasn't changed with Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, Villanova and Georgetown all dealing with other tenants. The three new schools -- Butler, Creighton and Xavier -- have the most control over dates in their arenas. The conference is hoping to build rivalries and will protect one rivalry for the final weekend of the regular season. But the conference wouldn't say which one until the schedule is finalized. The teams haven't been notified yet of which rivalry was protected for the final weekend of the regular season."

“@eamonnbrennan: 3-point-shot: UNLV takes another hit http://es.pn/13YA116

« Reply #677 on: August 28, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »
St. John's-Georgetown? Or local angle St J-Seton hall?   :-\

« Reply #678 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
My guess for rivalries is Butler/Marquette, Georgetown/St. John's, Creighton/DePaul, Villanova/Xavier, Seton Hall/Providence.

Andy Katz: Big East Will Have Protected Rivals
« Reply #679 on: August 28, 2013, 02:02:30 PM »
Andy Katz wrote in his blog this morning that the Big East is looking to facilitate rivalries.  To that extent, they are going to protect predetermined rivalries for the final week.  Who will be SJU's selected rival?

Excerpt from the Katz blog:
"The Big East confirmed that its conference schedule will be released next week. The old Big East was always one of the last conferences to release its schedule because of so may pro arenas in the conference. That hasn't changed with Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, Villanova and Georgetown all dealing with other tenants. The three new schools -- Butler, Creighton and Xavier -- have the most control over dates in their arenas. The conference is hoping to build rivalries and will protect one rivalry for the final weekend of the regular season. But the conference wouldn't say which one until the schedule is finalized. The teams haven't been notified yet of which rivalry was protected for the final weekend of the regular season."

Seton Hall???