2013-2014 Schedule

• 909 replies

MCNPA

Re: 2013-2014 Schedule
« Reply #780 on: October 07, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »
Decent analysis of a tough opponent;

“@CBTonNBC: 2013-2014 Season Preview: No. 20 Wisconsin Badgers http://wp.me/p1aWjM-1Z0Q

I wouldn't call it so much of an an analysis as a proclamation that Bo Ryan is good so Wisconsin will be too.  He doesn't know what will make them good except Ryan and Dekker.    All I know is Pointer will be on Dekker a lot, and when not him, it will be Sampson or Sanchez.  Get past that and he'll have to shoot over Obekpa.  If the rest of the Wisconsin team doesn't step up, it will be tough for them.  They do play rock ball though, so I'm sure they are aiming to slow the game down as much as possible.

paultzman

« Reply #781 on: October 07, 2013, 09:49:18 AM »

“@CBTonNBC: 2013-2014 Season Preview: No. 20 Wisconsin Badgers http://wp.me/p1aWjM-1Z0Q

I wouldn't call it so much of an an analysis as a proclamation that Bo Ryan is good so Wisconsin will be too.  He doesn't know what will make them good except Ryan and Dekker.    All I know is Pointer will be on Dekker a lot, and when not him, it will be Sampson or Sanchez.  Get past that and he'll have to shoot over Obekpa.  If the rest of the Wisconsin team doesn't step up, it will be tough for them.  They do play rock ball though, so I'm sure they are aiming to slow the game down as much as possible.

In any event let's agree this is a tough game. Their mechanical style, solid D & usually  proficient three point shooting will present challenges. Our depth, quickness and athleticism should cause problems for them.  I certainly like our chances.

MCNPA

« Reply #782 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »

In any event let's agree this is a tough game. Their mechanical style, solid D & usually  proficient three point shooting will present challenges. Our depth, quickness and athleticism should cause problems for them.  I certainly like our chances.

Tough without a question.  Wisconsin is always tough.  I agree with the writer.  He just skipped over any real analysis per se.  We might have a little bit of a wild card in that we have Whitesell on board and we don't know what twists he will integrate into our half court offense.  It's an early season game, so having a new "offensive coordinator" who teams can't really scout could add a wrinkle.

Poison

« Reply #783 on: October 07, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »

Tough without a question.  Wisconsin is always tough.  I agree with the writer.  He just skipped over any real analysis per se.  We might have a little bit of a wild card in that we have Whitesell on board and we don't know what twists he will integrate into our half court offense.  It's an early season game, so having a new "offensive coordinator" who teams can't really scout could add a wrinkle.

If we run an offense it will brand new to every opponent.

« Reply #784 on: October 07, 2013, 11:09:46 AM »

If Wisconsin starts hitting from 3, we'll lose this game.

MCNPA

« Reply #785 on: October 07, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »

That's not necessarily true.  We just didn't run it well last season.  We ran this offense extremely well when we had Hardy, Brownlee, DJ etc,.  A healthy Branch and Jordan should change things quite a bit.

MCNPA

« Reply #786 on: October 07, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »

As I've said before, Syracuse in their 2-3 has never placed a premium on defending the 3-pt shot.  Theyve been pretty successful under Boeheim methinks.  We need to do a better job getting out on shooters, but it's not that cut and dry.   Owning the boards is more important.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:17:05 AM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #787 on: October 07, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »

As I've said before, Syracuse in their 2-3 has never placed a premium on defending the 3-pt shot.  Theyve been pretty successful under Boeheim methinks.  We need to do a better job getting out on shooters, but it's not that cut and dry.   Owning the boards is more important.

All that I ask is that we have a POV on how we run an offense, and on how we defend. What kind of team are we? Wisconsin and SU have sustained success because they have a system. What's our system?

« Reply #788 on: October 07, 2013, 11:57:07 AM »
Defending 3's has been our glaring flaw over the last few years.

Here's hoping the 2013/14 edition is addressing this question.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 11:57:40 AM by qcredman »

Poison

« Reply #789 on: October 07, 2013, 12:29:44 PM »
Defending 3's has been our glaring flaw over the last few years.

Here's hoping the 2013/14 edition is addressing this question.

They didn't address it in Europe. I agree, I hope they recognize that it doesn't matter how many threes we make if we give up easy wide open baskets. If we can't play the match up zone well, then stop playing it. Play man, get after it, and make them earn it.

We should have the horses now.

« Reply #790 on: October 07, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »
Wisconsin is tough but we will win.  We have more talent and the coaches don't play.  Leave it all on the court boys and great things will happen.  Back in the top 25 soon!

Happy Rappy
Out

« Reply #791 on: October 07, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »

Pointer will only get a chance to be on him a lot if we go man. Hopefully he gets that chance.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #792 on: October 07, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »

But we don;t play a 2-3 like they do.   I agree that guarding the 3 isn't the end-all-be-all.  But our matchup zone isn't packed-in nearly as tightly  as the defense Cuse runs, and also our defenders have a long range they're expected to rotate sometimes.   It's not the traditional tradeoff that zone teams make. 

So for us I do think guarding the line is more important than for a traditional zone team like Cuse, because we're spread out so we still give up penetration.    But that's also why I'm hoping coach scraps this matchup-zone.   Play man, or press full court and fall back into a 2-3.   This hybrid thing is crap.  Its the worst of both worlds in my eyes.

But I also agree that that "analysis" was crap.  It was a conclusion that Wisconsin is good, he gave no reason why that is so. 

MCNPA

« Reply #793 on: October 07, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »

But we don;t play a 2-3 like they do.   I agree that guarding the 3 isn't the end-all-be-all.  But our matchup zone isn't packed-in nearly as tightly  as the defense Cuse runs, and also our defenders have a long range they're expected to rotate sometimes.   It's not the traditional tradeoff that zone teams make. 

So for us I do think guarding the line is more important than for a traditional zone team like Cuse, because we're spread out so we still give up penetration.    But that's also why I'm hoping coach scraps this matchup-zone.   Play man, or press full court and fall back into a 2-3.   This hybrid thing is crap.  Its the worst of both worlds in my eyes.

But I also agree that that "analysis" was crap.  It was a conclusion that Wisconsin is good, he gave no reason why that is so. 

I agree for the most part.  We can use the matchup zone situationally to cause problems.  I don't think it can be our sole defense.  It can also be used well if we rotate and move well.  It's tricky to get right though.  We started implementing a 2-3 apparently a bit in Europe, but I'm sure it will need time to get better.  We match up well with most teams playing man defense and played it pretty well at times last year. 

Marillac

« Reply #794 on: October 07, 2013, 03:13:22 PM »

Once again, that statement regarding Syracuse and defending three-pointers is completely false.  It is a huge part of their defense.  I've heard JB himself say that is the biggest misconception about his zone. 

MCNPA

« Reply #795 on: October 07, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »

Once again, that statement regarding Syracuse and defending three-pointers is completely false.  It is a huge part of their defense.  I've heard JB himself say that is the biggest misconception about his zone. 

Huge part of their defense?  They were 289th in 3pt percentage defense.  If its a huge part, they aren't particularly effective at that part of it when this was written.  Last year they were better, but their opponents still took a ton of shots.  Their opponents just didn't hit nearly as much.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/05/14/defending.three/index.html
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 04:06:33 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #796 on: October 07, 2013, 05:36:22 PM »
Wisconsin is tough but we will win.  We have more talent and the coaches don't play.  Leave it all on the court boys and great things will happen.  Back in the top 25 soon!

Happy Rappy
Out
Right the coaches don't play but they do coach and if you don't think college basketball coaches are important...they basically are the program!

Poison

« Reply #797 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »

Autry, Hart, Edelin, Duany, Triche, Williams etc. They have big guards. I always feel like we're playing a pro team when we go up against them. They smother us. They get out on shooters, and disrupt. We don't shoot or pass well, and that's why we've no shot. Louisville made the extra pass and dunked all over them in last year's BE final.

MCNPA

« Reply #798 on: October 07, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »

Autry, Hart, Edelin, Duany, Triche, Williams etc. They have big guards. I always feel like we're playing a pro team when we go up against them. They smother us. They get out on shooters, and disrupt. We don't shoot or pass well, and that's why we've no shot. Louisville made the extra pass and dunked all over them in last year's BE final.

Agree, but now our guards are 6'2-6'5", and we have more forwards to make it work better.  They can't chase on a guy like  Hooper or D'lo if we move the ball well enough.  A guy like Sanchez could possibly a killer in the high post.

Marillac

« Reply #799 on: October 07, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »

Huge part of their defense?  They were 289th in 3pt percentage defense.  If its a huge part, they aren't particularly effective at that part of it when this was written.  Last year they were better, but their opponents still took a ton of shots.  Their opponents just didn't hit nearly as much.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/luke_winn/05/14/defending.three/index.html

MCN, you need to read much more closely.  It does not say that Syracuse was 289th in 3pt percentage defense. It says, "The Orange ranked 289th in three point attempts allowed."  Three point attempts ALLOWED, not % they let their opponents hit. Huge difference.  Not only was Syracuse not 289th in three point percentage defense...they were top 50 nationally for the fifth year in a row.  They were top ten in 2003 and 2004.

The same article you cited also said "Syracuse plays an extended, trapping 2-3 zone that leads to few post-up possessions and a ton of contested threes."  The key word there being contested. 

Billy Donovan's on the Syracuse defense:  "They don't let you take the three point shot.  They did a great job defensively." 
JB on his win over Indiana in the tournament:  "Our perimeter defense was tremendous."

JB protects the perimeter and traps the corners.  If you'd like to borrow my copy of "Jim Boeheims's Complete Guide to the 2-3 Match-up Zone Defense," let me know.