Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ - UCLA

• 2498 replies

crgreen

Re: Kyle Anderson - F - St. Anthony's - Paterson, NJ
« Reply #1480 on: September 08, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »
If Anderson's goal is to make the NBA, SJU will be difficult to beat.

UM.... I hope the kid comes here obviously but SJU has as many pros as SH. ONE
[/quote]

Soooo....then what's the comparison between the coach's pros (I think you mean NBA) - Lavin's at 13 and counting (and despite the 8 year layoff, 6 still active),  including 4 of his point guards (2 still active).   Has Willard produced any?  SHUs only is Dalembert - and he came into the league in 2002.  Iona's LAST was Sean Green, who last played in the NBA in 1994....
[/quote]

Sorry to do back to back posts, but I just saw the one from CR.

As usual, CR, you are on top of the stats.

We all know that the goals of both KA and his Dad are to get to the NBA and be a major contributor there.

CR's stats on Coach Lavin's players getting to the NBA tell it all.  Does 40 fans going to a local BB game to pressure KA, match up to Coach Lavin's  numbers on NBA players?

Another stat, CR, that I am sure you have is Coach Lavin's NCAA record compared to Coach W.

Numbers do talk volumes!  I am sure that KA and his family will be checking these numbers out in the next few days.
[/quote]

Certainly the numbers shouldn't worry SJU fans re Willard and Seton Hall.    However, Ben Howland and UCLA is a completely different animal.....There were several days last season there were 6 former UCLA point guards STARTING at PG for their respective NBA teams (Baron, Earl Watson, Russell Westbrook, Jrue Holiday, Darren Collison and Jordan Farmar)...that's 1/5th of the entire 30 team league  (of course, 2 of the 6 were Lavin PGs) - ONE FIFTH...thru 7 seasons Howland has sent 11 players to the league, including 5 point guards (it could be 13 thru 8 seasons, with 6 PGs if they ever settle this lockout!).

« Reply #1481 on: September 08, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
This thread is becoming comical.  While some of you are realists and show gratitiude for some of the strides the program has made, others of you are just full of it.  Just in the last two pages of this thread I've read that SJU is an elite program, really?  How many times has the program even made the tourney since Kyle was born?  KA will have a better shot at getting to the league then if he went elsewhere...reallly?  SJU has the best coaching staff, better then Georgetown, Florida and UCLA, really?  Other programs lack class and are desperate.....really???

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping some of you could answer than I honestly do not know the answers to.

(1) When was the last time SJU won the BE regular season title or BET?  When was the last time that SJU was even the runner up in one of these categories?
(2) When was the last time SJU had an NBA lottery pick?
(3) Has Lavin ever led a team to a Final Four as a HC or an asst?
(4) What's the likelyhood that SJU will make the tourney this year?

Even if you land the kid....some of the commentary is laughable.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:12:42 PM by Blueandgray »

ras

« Reply #1482 on: September 08, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
UCLA is an excellent program. The question is does Kyle want tp play on the other side of the country,  or does he want to play for another excellent program{SJU} just down the road and have the support of his family?  This question is for Kyle to answer.

« Reply #1483 on: September 08, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
This thread is becoming comical.  While some of you are realists and show gratitiude for some of the strides the program has made, others of you are just full of it.  Just in the last two pages of this thread I've read that SJU is an elite program, really?  How many times has the program even made the tourney since Kyle was born?  KA will have a better shot at getting to the league then if he went elsewhere...reallly?  SJU has the best coaching staff, better then Georgetown, Florida and UCLA, really?  Other programs lack class and are desperate.....really???

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping some of you could answer than I honestly do not know the answers to.

(1) When was the last time SJU won the BE regular season title or BET?  When was the last time that SJU was even the runner up in one of these categories?

asking questions was a big mistake.  prepare to get bent over a barrel on the subsequent responses.

« Reply #1484 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26:03 PM »

when was the last time you were being dooochey on another team's board? Uh - now...

« Reply #1485 on: September 08, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »

Are you now showing your true colors ala your counterpart?  Hmmmmmmm....  I would say, most of the fans here are even-keeled.  There are always a few fans who will think their 'ish doesn't stink.  That is on any particular fan board.

I think Anderson is an NBA player, regardless which school he chooses.  I do believe he'll be with the best coaching staff, of the respective teams on his list, with the Johnnies.  You can disagree, as you have that right.  I'll bet most outsiders, who doesn't have a dog in this fight and are knowledgeable hoop fans, will agree. 

Lack class?  I don't think that was mentioned around here.  Some fans on here do not care for Jim Calhoun (I have no problem with him) and consider him classless, but he wasn't mentioned on this thread.  Desperate?  I do think some actions of the Hall fans seems like desperation moves.  It doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad move.   

I'll play along and answer you questions, although I can see a couple of the questions are irrelevant.

1) It's been over a decade (2000) since they have won the BET.  Maybe, another poster can recall the last time they won the regular season title.

2) Ron Artest.

3) Lavin has never been to the Final Four as a head coach, but he has been to 5 Sweet 16's and one Elite Eight.  He's won a national title, as an assistant.  Can your coach match Lavin's tourney record? 

4) Not sure of the likelihood of this current team going to the NCAA's.  We'll be quite youthful with a very, tough schedule ,but I think they could be on the fence of making the NCAA's.  Nevertheless, I still believe this is a talented bunch.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:41:56 PM by mjdinkins »

Gumby

« Reply #1486 on: September 08, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »
UCLA is an excellent program. The question is does Kyle want to play on the other side of the country,  or does he want to play for another excellent program{SJU} just down the road and have the support of his family?  This question is for Kyle to answer.

Good point!

And CR you brought up some UCLA numbers, but the real numbers are his family members.  KA will have to decide if he wants to play the majority of his games in front of his family or not.  Only he knows that!

« Reply #1487 on: September 08, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »

Are you now showing your true colors ala your counterpart?  Hmmmmmmm....  I would say, most of the fans here are even-keeled.  There are always a few fans who will think their 'ish doesn't stink.  That is on any particular fan board.

I think Anderson is an NBA player, regardless which school he chooses.  I do believe he'll with the best coaching staff of the respective teams on his list with the Johnnies.  You can disagree, as you have that right.  I'll bet most outsiders, who doesn't have a dog in this fight and are knowledgeable hoop fans, will agree. 

Lack class?  I don't think that was mentioned around here.  Some fans on here do not care for Jim Calhoun (I have no problem with him) and consider him classless, but he wasn't mentioned on this thread.  Desperate?  I do think some actions of the Hall fans seems like desperation moves.  It doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad move.   

I'll play along and answer you questions, although I can see a couple of the questions are irrelevant.

1) It's been over a decade (2000) since they have won the BET.  Maybe, another poster can recall the last time they won the regular season title.

2) Ron Artest.

3) Lavin has never been to the Final Four as a head coach, but he has been to 5 Sweet 16's and one Elite Eight.  He's won a national title, as an assistant.  Can your coach match Lavin's tourney record? 

4) Not sure of the likelihood of this current team going to the NCAA's.  We'll be quite youthful with a very, tough schedule ,but I think they could be on the fence of making the NCAA's.  Nevertheless, I still believe this is a talented bunch.

Now that's a good post!!  Enough of this SJU has the best coaching staff though...just trying to maintain some objectivity here.. 

MCNPA

« Reply #1488 on: September 08, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »
Jt3 has yet to show he can improve his team without Escherick's recruits.  He has yet to come close to matching his success with his own guys.

« Reply #1489 on: September 08, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
Btw, everyone agrees that Calhoun is a slimeball.  I was referring to SHU.  Just to be listed among the other 4 schools is huge for them....can't blame them for being excited and doing whatever they can to be recognized. 

« Reply #1490 on: September 08, 2011, 07:47:38 PM »

I think Anderson is an NBA player, regardless which school he chooses.  I do believe he'll with the best coaching staff of the respective teams on his list with the Johnnies.  You can disagree, as you have that right.  I'll bet most outsiders, who doesn't have a dog in this fight and are knowledgeable hoop fans, will agree. 

2) Ron Artest.

Now that's a good post!!  Enough of this SJU has the best coaching staff though...just trying to maintain some objectivity here..

Say what you want about Lavin, but having Mike Dunlap, Rico Hines, Tony Chiles and even Gene Keady amongst your staff is as good as it comes..

« Reply #1491 on: September 08, 2011, 07:50:46 PM »

Thanks!  I still believe the Johnnies have the best coaching staff amongst the teams still involved with Anderson.

Here is one particular example of what Findlay Prep coach had to say last summer (while the Johnnies were recruiting Amir Garrett):  “I’d say what Lavin presents to the situation is someone who understands players, having coached at UCLA. [Assistant coach] Rico Hines known as one of the best player-developers in the country. Mike Dunlap is known as a Norm Chow of basketball. 

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/08/04/amir-garrett-planning-visits/

Toss in Tony Chiles, Gene Keady and our DOBO, Mo Hicks....  C'mon! 

« Reply #1492 on: September 08, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
Btw, everyone agrees that Calhoun is a slimeball.  I was referring to SHU.  Just to be listed among the other 4 schools is huge for them....can't blame them for being excited and doing whatever they can to be recognized. 

I guess it's cool what their fans are doing.  Whatever works for them.  Desperation doesn't necessarily mean something bad.  I would be excited, as well.  They have a legit dog in the fight.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:55:02 PM by mjdinkins »

MCNPA

« Reply #1493 on: September 08, 2011, 07:58:28 PM »
Between gene Keady and Steve Lavin there are 24 NCAA appearances including 3 elite 8's, and 8 sweet 16's.  That is not to mention that I believe both coaches were coach of the year in their respective conferences at least once and Keady has got purdue's court named after him.  Now add to those stats that mike Dunlap might be the most respected x's and O's guy out of all of them and he has a d2 national championship under his belt.  Then add guys like chiles, Hines, Hicks and there isn't a staff on that list that compares.  Ben Howland and Billy D certainly have the credentials.  Can't argue with that though.

« Reply #1494 on: September 08, 2011, 08:00:28 PM »

2) Ron Artest.

Ok, imo the coaching staff is one of the top 10 in the NC2A.  If coaches across the country were polled, I believe that would flesh out in a vote.  Your staff may fall into that category, but you're admin's afraid to play the Terps, so I give your admin the "no stones" award.

TONYD3

« Reply #1495 on: September 08, 2011, 08:07:48 PM »
Blue and gray will leave this board soon. Just as his loser friends will not be coming to garden any more. We may have sucked. That is in the past. GTown didn't suck but what have they done lately. In one year we have passed them. It was great beating them this year. Now I expect to win. Rivalry over.

« Reply #1496 on: September 08, 2011, 08:08:06 PM »
Jt3 has yet to show he can improve his team without Escherick's recruits.  He has yet to come close to matching his success with his own guys.

Technically you're right.  Hibbert and Green were not JT3's recruits.  In fact, neither kid were top 100 prospects out of high school.  He sure did a hell of a job developing them and turning them into lottery picks.  JT3 has stumbled in the tourney the last few years and its been pretty dissappointing for Georgetown fans.  That said, over the last 3 regular seasons, the program has more wins against the top 25 then any other program in the country.  Pretty impressive when you think about it....so its somewhat of a mixed bag.

With regard to the other posts about the staff...Lavin has clearly assembled a strong team, and the end of the day, it still has to translate to wins and its too early to make some of these claims.  One thing for sure though...Lavin has the track record of being a great recruiter.  That said, the baron davis thing was a bit of a head scratcher for me...especially given their rocky past.  Don't know if you guys saw this...but Barren has been quoted as saying:

"As reported by Bay Area blogger Geoff Lepper of the Contra Costa Times, former UCLA point guard Baron Davis looked into the rafters at Pauley Pavilion last Friday during the Golden State Warriors' morning shoot-around and said, "We should have a banner up there: the only team to make the tournament without a coach."
http://www.bruinsnation.com/2007/11/8/101541/498

« Reply #1497 on: September 08, 2011, 08:11:14 PM »
Yes, we've all heard that Baron Davis quote.

Funny part about it is, that quote has been used time and time again to diminish Lavin's accomplishments and prior legacy...and yet Davis himself is very close with two of our 2011 recruits, and chatted up a top 5 2012 recruit in favor of Lavin.

« Reply #1498 on: September 08, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »
Yes, we've all heard that Baron Davis quote.

Funny part about it is, that quote has been used time and time again to diminish Lavin's accomplishments and prior legacy...and yet Davis himself is very close with two of our 2011 recruits, and chatted up a top 5 2012 recruit in favor of Lavin.

I've always thought that Davis is a bit of a loose cannon...so its nuts put too much weight on anything he says.  still a bit of a curious choice. 

i'll be checking in later...and according to Zagoria...will probably be offering congrats in a few weeks. ;)

« Reply #1499 on: September 08, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Whats up with all the Georgetown fans coming here and arguing us? Yeah some of the stuff we say is comical but we are fans and have the right to bring up these discussions. I'm level headed and stated that we aint an elite program but a very good one throughout time but its not that crazy to at least mention it. The fact is St. Johns is probably a top 25 team all time and in the second tier of great programs. And as far as coaching staffs its very possible we are #1. Key word STAFF. Lavin is well respected and a very good coach. On top of that we have Mike Dunlap (considered a top 10 college assistant and master of X's and O's as well as a former NBA assistant), Rico Hines (Former Warriors assistant) Tony Chiles (Well respected veteran assistant), Mo Hicks (One of the top NY High School coaches ever) and not to mention Legendary Purdue coach Gene Keady on the bench. I would be lying if I said I knew as much about the other staffs but from top to bottom I have a hard time seeing another staff better