Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

paultzman

“@christopherewao: Is there something wrong with trying to be d best defensive player of my time?”

Depends where you go Chris

He loves playing defense.  You can tell.

Agree Moose. In that crazy game yesterday, he seemed content in swatting some shots, while everyone else fired away. FWIW I think his recruitment is a real challenge. Cinci still aggressively pursuing him and Oregon warming up the Brinks truck. We'll see. Love this kid!!!!

Should have included UCONN right there as well. Would think foggy situation there re academic hot water would be a negative, but CO seems to love Omar Calhoun. Shot blocking rep of UCONN can't hurt either.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:25:51 AM by paultzman »

I hate to post this, and hope I'm wrong,
but had a conversation with a good friend who is very close with Chris.

He said he has given a silent verbal to Cinn already.

He also said there is no chance that Hall qualifies for 2012 and JC is as likely as prep for him
Molloy '71

paultzman

Could be.

pmg911

Wouldn't shock anyone at this point.

Just great since we seem to play them twice a year. Can see him swatting a lot of our shots. We need Sanchez and Chandler.

Gumby

This is always the worst time of the year for news on recruits.  There are way too may "friends" providing information on our recruits.  The comment about CO "loves" OC is funny, as I thought CO and Felix were close.

And as we all know from recent history, most of this information, regardless of the "inside" sources,  is meaningless.  The only real source for information is where the recruit has been seen getting a haircut.

If CO has made a "silent" commitment, he probably should not venture out to OR, or at least stop off in Vegas.

We can only hope in Coach Lavin.

desco80

True or not this shouldn't bother people too much.   Obekpa doesn't make or break this year's recruiting class.
We needed a true pg, multiple big men, and additional scoring options.

Sampson, Branch, and Balamou put us halfway there.   Chris would be nice, especially because of what he brings defensively.   But he's not the answer, and we have other options we're involved with if he chooses to go elsewhere.

Next two weeks should be fun.

Moose

This is always the worst time of the year for news on recruits.  There are way too may "friends" providing information on our recruits.  The comment about CO "loves" OC is funny, as I thought CO and Felix were close.

And as we all know from recent history, most of this information, regardless of the "inside" sources,  is meaningless.  The only real source for information is where the recruit has been seen getting a haircut.

If CO has made a "silent" commitment, he probably should not venture out to OR, or at least stop off in Vegas.

We can only hope in Coach Lavin.

Why is Obekpa CO and Calhoun OC, but Balamou is just Felix? :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

No, losing obekpa certainly would not break this class.  He certainly has some upside though and would be a nice addition.  We still need 2 big guys though.  We'll see what transpires. 

desco80

No, losing obekpa certainly would not break this class.  He certainly has some upside though and would be a nice addition.  We still need 2 big guys though.  We'll see what transpires.

Yea, he wouldn't solve everything himself.   But if the Cinci talk is true, then it does make landing Sanchez & Chandler or another big man the top priority. 

Would appreciate y'all stopp referrin to Christopher Obekpa as CO since its confusin to us ex-military.

Just sayin.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

We better hope Chandler is eligible

SJU85

Would appreciate y'all stopp referrin to Christopher Obekpa as CO since its confusin to us ex-military.

Just sayin.
I guess if we were recruiting someone named Xavier Orlando then XO would be out also, just saying  :)  ;D

So two weeks ago everybody agreed that SJU was out of the Obekpa sweepstakes and everyone was relaxed.  Now someone posts that SJU is out of the running again and it is the end of the world.

I can tell you that I was told SJU made up a lot of ground when he visited.  Cincy is the big comp, not worried about Oregon.  Highly unlikely he is going cross country to play.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:04:06 PM by fordham96 »

So two weeks ago everybody agreed that SJU was out of the Obekpa sweepstakes and everyone was relaxed.  Now someone posts that SJU is out of the running again and it is the end of the world.

I can tell you that I was told SJU made up a lot of ground when he visited.  Cincy is the big comp, not worried about Oregon.  Highly unlikely he is going cross country to play.

Whose panicked?

paultzman

Whose panicked?

Exactly. Whatever happens, happens!

Whose panicked?

I don't consider you a SJU fan so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Tiznow

The only source close to Obekpa that matters is Jaklitsch.  Ten days ago he said; "Chris hasn’t made a decision on what he’s going to do.”

He sounds like many other HS seniors as they get down to the wire.

The silent verbal ?  What is the benefit to keeping it silent? Added harrasment from annoying coaches.  It seems to be a prevalent term lately.

Whose panicked?

I don't consider you a SJU fan so I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Sounds like you're the 1 panicked.

What'd so hard to understand? Losing a recruit? As a die hard, holier than thou fan such as yourself, you should be used to losing recruits by now

et tu Brute