Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

ras

The only source close to Obekpa that matters is Jaklitsch.  Ten days ago he said; "Chris hasn’t made a decision on what he’s going to do.”

He sounds like many other HS seniors as they get down to the wire.

The silent verbal ?  What is the benefit to keeping it silent? Added harrasment from annoying coaches.  It seems to be a prevalent term lately.
I ask myself the same question. Why does it seem everthing is silent or secretive?  It seems to me if a recruit knows he wants to commit somewhere, why not verbal? Why the mystery recruits?

LJSA

By staying silent, the kid (and the program) get to wait until the announcement gets maximum exposure (e.g., after the tournament), but it's still a way of letting the coach know you are coming so he keeps a spot for you and doesn't move on to the next target.

The only source close to Obekpa that matters is Jaklitsch.  Ten days ago he said; "Chris hasn’t made a decision on what he’s going to do.”

The silent verbal ?  What is the benefit to keeping it silent? Added harrasment from annoying coaches.  It seems to be a prevalent term lately.
I ask myself the same question. Why does it seem everthing is silent or secretive?  It seems to me if a recruit knows he wants to commit somewhere, why not verbal? Why the mystery recruits?

Maybe the JUCO never commits if Obecka commits first. Theres a ton of reasons why
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

FWIW, Chris dropped by ESPN in ratings by about 20 slots. When asked why, Telep responded

“@DaveTelep: @rgsaunders1 gotta know how to play the game. Can block shots but feel isn't where it should be.”

BTW, talk to Nate Blue about Telep. He recently noted Telep was way off the mark with Moe and adversely effected his selection to some all star games.

gman

Maybe the JUCO never commits if Obecka commits first. Theres a ton of reasons why

If that is the case wouldn't the JUCO just decommit down the line if Obekpa commits?

FWIW, Chris dropped by ESPN in ratings by about 20 slots. When asked why, Telep responded

“@DaveTelep: @rgsaunders1 gotta know how to play the game. Can block shots but feel isn't where it should be.”

BTW, talk to Nate Blue about Telep. He recently noted Telep was way off the mark with Moe and adversely effected his selection to some all star games.

I think Chris at 77 is fair. I generally like Telep but I agreed with Nate, I was baffled at Moe being 37. Off topic but still dont see the hype with Isaiah Austin. IMO not even close to being the 3rd best player in the country

Chilleb

I think Chris at 77 is fair. I generally like Telep but I agreed with Nate, I was baffled at Moe being 37. Off topic but still dont see the hype with Isaiah Austin. IMO not even close to being the 3rd best player in the country
And ant Davis gets every award in the universe for being 175 soaking wet and blocking a ton of shots. These guys ride. Bandwagons

crgreen

And ant Davis gets every award in the universe for being 175 soaking wet and blocking a ton of shots. These guys ride. Bandwagons

Sneaking feeling the double digit rebound aaverage, the 62% shooting from the field...oh yes, and being the best player on the best college team in basketball just MIGHT have a little to do with the awards and the bandwagoning.   If Chris were dominating against Kansas (twice), Inidana, Baylor, Louisville (twice), Vandy, Florida, and hey - Moe Harkless and St Johns (8 blocks, yes - but also 15 boards and points) - he'd likley have his own bandwagon.  Other than blocks, he puts up mediocre numbers against mediocre  talent.  Terrific potential, and those blocks ARE nice.   But he is more likely to become UCLA's Anthony Stover than he is KYs Anthony Davis....

Tiznow

Here is a qoute from Katz today.

"He's a great kid (O. Calhoun) and been really positive and we're close to adding another kid," Jim Calhoun said.

Is he referring to Obekpa?  If so I hope Obekpa talks to Oriakhi before he heads up there. 

"He's a great kid (O. Calhoun) and been really positive and we're close to adding another kid," Jim Calhoun said.

Is he referring to Obekpa?  If so I hope Obekpa talks to Oriakhi before he heads up there.
Don't forget Calhoun likely inebriated when he said it.

No way.  I would be shocked if Obepka is even seriously considering UCONN at this point.

Moose

No way.  I would be shocked if Obepka is even seriously considering UCONN at this point.

Would you be shocked if Omar asks out too?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Not shocked but a bit surprised.  No impact to SJU as he would not be allowed to go to another BE school anyway.

Moose

Not shocked but a bit surprised.  No impact to SJU as he would not be allowed to go to another BE school anyway.

I would like to see that challenged just for the sake of it.  But I'm not in love with Omar's game.  Plus I think him and D-Lo might kill eachother in the same backcourt.

By the way was interested to see Oriakhi probably won't be going to the SEC as they don't accept sr year transfers and would need academic waiver.

gman

By the way was interested to see Oriakhi probably won't be going to the SEC as they don't accept sr year transfers and would need academic waiver.

How about the ACC?  UNC needs some help up front.

Moose

I
How about the ACC?  UNC needs some help up front.

Yea just read SEC doesn't allow it

Sounds like he was talking about Bradley Hayes of Florida who is a late bloomer.

paultzman

Not a big fan of Rothstein, but as I have noted, I agree.

“@JonRothstein: Cincinnati going to be tough to beat @kthstlrfn any update on Chris obekpa?”

“@JonRothstein: Cincinnati going to be tough to beat @kthstlrfn any update on Chris obekpa?”

Mint...

mkras99

Mint...

?