Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies
Obekpa had a pretty fantastic first game of the day all around.  He didn't have 13 or 16 blocks like he had a few weeks ago but he was involved on both ends of the floor.  Finished with 8 blocks in the semifinal win over Juice in which he was matched up against Jordan Dickerson.  He also made a few nice passes out of the post, crashed the offensive glass a bit and even took and hit a jumper along the baseline.  He seemed to find a good rhythm.  In addition to the 8 blocks there were countless altered shots as guys entered the lane.  Felix did a nice job scoring the ball as he finished with 19 points, hit some more midrange jumpers and nice finishes at the rim.  Some of his defensive deficiencies shined through though as he had a very difficult time staying in front of Isaiah Whitehead.  When he comes on campus he'll need to improve his ability to stay in front of guys on the ball, focus on help/recover off the ball and just being "solid" instead of always going for the steal. 

In the championship game Obekpa seemed to have a much more difficult time both offensively and defensively.  Maybe its that he had already played a game an hour before this (although kids play many games per day in AAU/grassroots all the time) but he was quite lethargic on both ends and really couldn't get in a rhythm and seemed to take some plays off.  It wasn't just Obekpa, as most players on that team were a step or so slow for much of the game. Felix started well but got some major cramps in the second quarter or so.  Came back and played some but he obviously was robbed of his ability to explode and leap.  Jordan Washington (2013 forward who we have looked at) had a MONSTER championship game. About 6'7", kind of thick body (built a lot like Jayvaughn Pinkston was in HS) that needs to be toned but his footwork is PHENOMENAL for a guy his size and he knows how to carve out space in the lane and he plays hard and has a good motor for a guy as large as him.

Sounds great.. Wish I could have made it yesterday but something came up.  I heard we had a nice amount of fans there. Also heard that Jordan Dickerson got better and played well.  With respect to you I must say that Jordan Washington is a lot more out of shape than Jayvaughn was in Hs :).   Kid also dips his shoulder  every time after spinning and he is a offensive foul waiting to happen... Everything else you said about him is spot on .  I think the problem with him is .. Where does he play if he gets in shape?  Kid is used to bullying everyone in hs because of his girth.  Also did you hear that they left Felix off the all Is8 teams?  What a joke .

I wouldn't compare Pinkston and Washington at all. I agree, Happy, that Washington is not in as good of shape as Pinkston nor do I feel he is as good. The only thing they may have in common is they might be Villlanova grads someday.

I never said his game was like Pinkston, I said he was built like him.  And Pinkston was woefully out of shape for a good portion of his high school career.  He's not as good as Pinkston but I will say that I see Washington playing MUCH harder than Pinkston did in HS.  Washington and BU-bound Maurice Watson were really the 2 players on that team that played hard nearly every possession in both games yesterday. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

MCNPA

Alex Kline said that there is a possibility he does a post grad year but assuming he goes to college in 2012-13 it will be SJU.

Fordham, any idea what is holding him back ie. grades/SAT's? Or is it just that he wants to do a prep year?  I'd have thought he'd know by now if he's qualified?

I think it is a fail safe if he ultimately cannot choose a school moreso then a academic necessity.

Was just curious.  Not sure what more the kid wants. He has good schools after him.  This is not a kid that is only getting low major offers.  If that is the case, then I like our chances at this point.

paultzman

Alex Kline said that there is a possibility he does a post grad year but assuming he goes to college in 2012-13 it will be SJU.

Fordham, any idea what is holding him back ie. grades/SAT's? Or is it just that he wants to do a prep year?  I'd have thought he'd know by now if he's qualified?

I think it is a fail safe if he ultimately cannot choose a school moreso then a academic necessity.

Was just curious.  Not sure what more the kid wants. He has good schools after him.  This is not a kid that is only getting low major offers.  If that is the case, then I like our chances at this point.

If it is not an academic issue, we will get him IMO.

pmg911

Fordham - do you really think the kid is thinking of another year of school because he can't make up his mind..?

NYCoffey

Tha Kid

Can't imagine the kid goes to prep just because he can't make up his mind.  Hilarious drinking game by the way.
"I drink and I know things"

I can only tell you what I heard.

I have heard 2 things:

1) SJU is the clear leader now and that recent swing from Cincy to SJU swung shortly after the recent off the court stuff at Cincy.  For those who may have thought that the recent stuff at Cincy would have an impact I can tell you it appears it has and

2) Him and his handlers as well as those recruiting him are very confident he will qualify but Prep remains an option if for no other reason then he ultimately wants to put off his decision for another year.

boo3

This guy sounds like Pelle part II

Moose

With a happier STJ ending :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

With a happier STJ ending :)

Let's hope so.

pmg911

2) Him and his handlers as well as those recruiting him are very confident he will qualify but Prep remains an option if for no other reason then he ultimately wants to put off his decision for another year.

Not questioning what you heard but I do question that this kid would go to Prep solely because he can't make up his mind. I just don't believe that is true and if they are telling that to people it is purely spin.

The longer this drags on the more I believe its his grades/eligibility that are preventing him from making a decision.

He isn't going prep.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

He isn't going prep.

Thanks Dave.  All I needed to hear.

paultzman

;) Yes!!

When will he decide ???

I believe he is SJU bound.  My only trepidation with him is his handlers.  Again the impression I get is that it is amateur hour with them.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:42:56 PM by fordham96 »

I believe he is SJU bound.  My only trepidation with him is his handlers.  Again the impression I get is that it is amateur hour with them.
I'm sorry I'm new to this, I am use to college football recruit but what does this mean???

Marillac

I'm sorry I'm new to this, I am use to college football recruit but what does this mean???

It means that a poster who knows nothing about Obekpa's recruitment--like every other person outside of OSNA--is trying to pass of what he read on blogs as some inside information.  Nobody knows wthat the deal is with this kid.  Now his handlers are amateurs?  OSNA produces D-1 recruits every year and the coach accompanied CO on his recruiting visits.  There is nothing amateur about it, even in spite of the posts by the UC fan about the grades being withhel--the same poster that came to redmen.com asking if WE had any inside info.  Let's give this kid time to decide.  Nobody goes to prep school because they are unsure...that is ridiculous.

Moose

Oh goodie. This thread is going to get fun again :2funny:
Remember who broke the Slice news

Mike

Oh goodie. This thread is going to get fun again :2funny:
The excitement would've been here longer if you didn't tell people to forget about him. Lol see what we missed!