• 864 replies

boo3

Re: Orlando Sanchez - PF - Monroe CC - Nagua, DR - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #400 on: April 27, 2012, 06:32:01 PM »
 Hysterical.  Well played.

« Reply #401 on: April 27, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
Tweeted 4 minutes ago, relax!!!!!

“@NYPost_Brazille: Orlando Sanchez has committed and #stjbb will get his NLI this weekend, per source, which confirms @AdamZagoria report #boyshoops”

You guys did not really doubt this, did you???  LOL!

« Reply #402 on: April 27, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
BTW-I think some of the Auburn chatter with Orlando the last few days came from a strong rumor that Calipari reached out to Orlando on behalf of Barbee and Auburn.

In the end though it was always SJU.

desco80

« Reply #403 on: April 27, 2012, 10:48:38 PM »
BTW-I think some of the Auburn chatter with Orlando the last few days came from a strong rumor that Calipari reached out to Orlando on behalf of Barbee and Auburn.

Was that a rumor the Auburn fans started?   Because I can't see Cal helping recruit a player to another SEC school, even a terrible basketball program like Auburn, and even for a former player.   You just don't help another team in your conference recruit.    You agree ?

« Reply #404 on: April 27, 2012, 10:53:06 PM »
"He can score, defend multiple positions, rebound, run the floor and block shots. Orlando is a truly skilled and unselfish passer who could have chosen to score even more during his junior college career. My staff calls Orlando a 'prototypical Lavin player' reminiscent of a Trevor Ariza, Matt Barnes or Moe Harkless." - Steve Lavin

« Reply #405 on: April 27, 2012, 11:21:30 PM »

Was that a rumor the Auburn fans started?   Because I can't see Cal helping recruit a player to another SEC school, even a terrible basketball program like Auburn, and even for a former player.   You just don't help another team in your conference recruit.    You agree ?

Cal and Barbee are close and Cal was doing a favor for his buddy with a kid he had a relationship with already.  He wouldn't do that for Billy Donovan obviously.  He is not worried at least not in the immediate future about Auburn challenging UK in the SEC.

Moose

Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #408 on: April 28, 2012, 01:23:03 PM »
"He can score, defend multiple positions, rebound, run the floor and block shots. Orlando is a truly skilled and unselfish passer who could have chosen to score even more during his junior college career. My staff calls Orlando a 'prototypical Lavin player' reminiscent of a Trevor Ariza, Matt Barnes or Moe Harkless." - Steve Lavin

The staff is wrong.   They need to call Orlanod a "prototypicl Lavin RECRUIT", if they're going to include Trevor Ariza in the equation.  Ariza never PLAYED for Steve Lavin.  He was Steves next to last RECRUIT at UCLA.   Ben Howland refused the last recruit, Sean Phaler, but did re-recruit and keep Ariza, who was a one and done (second rounder). 

Another "what if" by the way.   If there 2 more sseasons, a junior Ariza is starting at SF for UCLA in 2006 instead of converted PG Ced Bozeman, and UCLA likely beats Florida in the Title game, and Ariza leaves as a Lotto pick.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:29:49 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #409 on: April 28, 2012, 09:34:56 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/basketball/st_john_inks_high_flying_duo_Ct1DuYpb6HilOWT4wjNojL
The Wood line is poorly written.  Makes it sound like he's in the fold.

no max hooper mention??  i guess because he won't be eligible till 2013?

paultzman

« Reply #410 on: May 03, 2012, 10:35:32 AM »
Told Orlando will probably be on the DR team

“@awireman: USA vs. Dominican Republic game could potentially include Calipari, Antigua, Strickland, Davis, Vargas, Garcia and Sosa..”

Marillac

« Reply #411 on: May 03, 2012, 08:47:44 PM »

“@awireman: USA vs. Dominican Republic game could potentially include Calipari, Antigua, Strickland, Davis, Vargas, Garcia and Sosa..”

He looked seriously impressive in the DR tape, but he was playing SF.  It's great to get that kind of experience playing with pros, but I hope he's playing down low!  That's probably our starting center.

MCNPA

« Reply #412 on: May 03, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »

He looked seriously impressive in the DR tape, but he was playing SF.  It's great to get that kind of experience playing with pros, but I hope he's playing down low!  That's probably our starting center.

Which really isn't a big deal this season.  We'll be deep regardless.  Would still like one big body up front but not just to throw a scholarship out there.  Holding hope that Chandler might qualify or even Obekpa decides he wants t stay in NY.  Not one to cry over though.  We will be tough regardless this season and there is no fab Melo in our league.

desco80

« Reply #413 on: May 04, 2012, 12:47:42 AM »

Which really isn't a big deal this season.  We'll be deep regardless.  Would still like one big body up front but not just to throw a scholarship out there.  Holding hope that Chandler might qualify or even Obekpa decides he wants t stay in NY.  Not one to cry over though.  We will be tough regardless this season and there is no fab Melo in our league.

I've been advocating for another big since Pelle didn't qualify.  But more and more I'm realizing how right you are.
We need to team-rebound, but this past season we saw an exceptionally strong group of centers, it won't happen next year.   From A Davis to Drummond to Melo, Dieng, Josh Smith, the Plumlees, even H Pope... We saw probably 7 of the top 10 centers in college bball.   

The Big East will only have Dieng returning and other than him the best post players are going to be PFs, who might be a little meatier than Jakarr or Sanchez.. but who wont pose the height problems or shot blocking capabilities Melo and co had.
After Deing the best post players are going to be the likes of Behannan, Cooley, Melvin, Porter.. maybe Yarou on Nova.   We can match up with them.    Louisville will be big, but they're expected to be a top 5 team.   

Other than that who am I missing from the Big East ?
Keita on Syracuse ?? ehh.    No real threats coming in as freshmen except maybe Adams for Pitt. 

It's hard to plan a team on paper when you don't have a prototypical center.   But I'm beginning to see the point that MCNPA and Marilac make about the need for height being overrated and obsessed over by us fans. 

« Reply #414 on: May 04, 2012, 08:56:36 AM »
The way I look at it, last years team had 1 big and that was Gift. This years team will have 3 Gift, Jakarr and Orlando. They are 3,4 that will play out of position at the 5

IMO Moe was 6'8, but he was not a big. He was a wing 2,3.

Moose

« Reply #415 on: May 04, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »
The way I look at it, last years team had 1 big and that was Gift. This years team will have 3 Gift, Jakarr and Orlando. They are 3,4 that will play out of position at the 5

IMO Moe was 6'8, but he was not a big. He was a wing 2,3.

Moe is not a 2 at all. 3/4 yes but a 2, no way.
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #416 on: May 04, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
Moe rebounded like a big.

« Reply #417 on: May 06, 2012, 04:27:16 PM »
We were very lucky to avoid injuries last season. If we are not so lucky and lose a big to injury do you really want to go against good teams with only two out of GG, Jakarr and Sanchez. Would still love another big.

« Reply #418 on: May 10, 2012, 05:37:25 PM »
Is Orlando really 24? If so he will be a lot stronger than I thought. And give us some time at the 5.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

paultzman

« Reply #419 on: May 10, 2012, 06:11:15 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Gr8 piece! RT @GregLogan1: Reinforcements have arrived at #STJBB headed by JaKarr Sampson and Orlando Sanchez: http://t.co/Dg4tnukt.