Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies
Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:38 AM »
Good bye mo and good luck. The nicest kid I have met other than erv walker in this basketball community. We will be fine let him follow his dream that boy will be just fine

I have no doubt he will be fine. I would just love to have him back for his sophomore year and I think it would help him in the long run.

Good luck moe whatever you chose!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2012, 01:49:08 AM »
Good bye mo and good luck. The nicest kid I have met other than erv walker in this basketball community. We will be fine let him follow his dream that boy will be just fine

Those who have played at SJ and in the NBA as well think he's crazy to even put his name in the Draft. Will he be drafted? Sure. Is he ready? Of course not.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:25:17 PM by Poison »

« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2012, 02:48:10 AM »

He's 100% definitely gone?

« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
I agree that if he came back another year he'd be a higher pick, get a bigger first contract which could lead to a bigger second contract.  I am in total agreement on that.

HOWEVER, when you grow up in the economic situation and family situation he is in, it is in no way shape or form a "no brainer" to risk losing everything to come back another year.  At the very least its a very hard decision either way.  Don't try telling a guy or his family that sticking it out in poverty another year when theres that much money on the table is a "no brainer".  That's almost an insult to reality. 

And is he as strong as he should be?? No.  Does his jump shot need work?? Yes.  But since when were there not weight rooms and strength coaches in NBA practice facilities?? Since when were there not coaches in the NBA that can work with a player on their jumpsuit?? These can all be fixed just as easily or even MORE easily in the NBA than in college (where dumb NCAA rules only allow a few hours of workouts with coaches per week in offseason).

Who's side are you on, T?  Redmen fans every where should be a united front in saying, knowing and writing that Moe and his family's interests are best served by returning for another season or two.

Now that's a no brainer.

Of COURSE I want him to stay!! But I could never tell a kid that grows up in a single parent household under tough economic conditions that its a "no brainer" for him to pass up that kind of money.  I don't think its an easy decision either way.  I would love for him to come back but I completely understand if he doesn't.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »
Of COURSE I want him to stay!! But I could never tell a kid that grows up in a single parent household under tough economic conditions that its a "no brainer" for him to pass up that kind of money.  I don't think its an easy decision either way.  I would love for him to come back but I completely understand if he doesn't.

This here is wisdom.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
There are some things that Moe does like an NBA player. However, he needs to get a lot stronger. He needs to work on his handle, and he needs serious work on his 3 point shot. Going when you're ready is the smart thing to do. 

Set your family up, but do it with the least possible risk.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:25:41 PM by Poison »

pmg911

« Reply #246 on: March 14, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
This here is wisdom.

The real wisdom would be having wise people around you that were not short sighted and didn't see the big picture for your future.

Think about the difference between making say $5.3mm or making $3.3mm because that is the difference between the 10th pick and the 21st pick in the NBA Draft.

If Moe has one bad workout he could fall to 2nd Rd and not even get guaranteed money.

« Reply #247 on: March 14, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
Some people don't know the difference between 3 and 5 nil

Poison

« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2012, 04:26:50 PM »

He's a string bean, and he's not 7'2. It could be the difference between 5 mil and nothing. Then what does he have? Europe? Asia? Nothing?

pmg911

« Reply #249 on: March 14, 2012, 04:45:41 PM »
You can't live your life like that, anyone could get hit by a bus tomorrow

« Reply #250 on: March 15, 2012, 12:49:09 AM »

He's a string bean, and he's not 7'2. It could be the difference between 5 mil and nothing. Then what does he have? Europe? Asia? Nothing?

He would make over 10X more in Europe in a year than the value of a St. John's scholarship. Don't trash that either.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #251 on: March 15, 2012, 12:57:01 AM »

He would make over 10X more in Europe in a year than the value of a St. John's scholarship. Don't trash that either.

Ask Omar Cook if he made the right choice? Ask a guy who single handedly took out Kentucky, Uconn and Boston College if that was the right call. You're talking about a freshman who had a good freshman season. Not an amazing freshman season. He could go pro and not get drafted until the second round. No one thought that Cook would be passed over, but he was.

« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2012, 01:07:15 AM »
think he should stay one more year but if he has a promise he got to do what he got to do for himself and his fam. We will be ok with Jakarr coming in and another player put into the nba will only help recruiting. hark in the nba is a win win for everyone at the end of the day I guess

Poison

« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
What if Harkless goes pro, gets drafted in the second round, and cut several months later? His game isn't much different than Hakim Warrick IMOP. That guy stayed 3 years in college. He proved beyond any doubt that he was a first round pick.

And ya know what, he wasn't coming from a wealthy family where he could afford to. These people who are telling him to go take the money are fools or conniving thieves who clearly don't have his best interests at heart.

If you care about Harkless help him make a choice that's right for him. Leaving in no manor shape or form before you're ready will be a disaster. He won the BE ROY, but let's not forget that in at least half our games he overmatched by a stronger more experienced player.

Work on your game Moe. You'll get there, but slow down, and do it the right way.

« Reply #254 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
NBADraft.net has him going 16th to Houston.

Who knows???

« Reply #255 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:24 AM »
I see no reason why he should not enter his name and not hire a agent. Let him go through the process and learn where he stands. He can always come back if he feel he could drop out of the 1st round.

sju89tr

« Reply #256 on: March 15, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
I see no reason why he should not enter his name and not hire a agent. Let him go through the process and learn where he stands. He can always come back if he feel he could drop out of the 1st round.
[/quote

Rules changes, no turning back now

« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2012, 12:12:44 PM »
Again I do not think that is true.  It appears that there is a new and much shorter deadline, early April as opposed to just before the draft, but there is still a chance you can declare and pull back from the draft with no eligiblity loss.

See article on Maalik Wayns:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2012-03-14/nba-draft-maalik-wayns-to-leave-villanova-early-for-nba

Now, NCAA rules mandate players make up their minds by April 10. Reynolds was able to use the lessons learned during the draft process to return to Villanova and construct an All-American senior season that helped the Wildcats earn a No. 2 NCAA seed.

It is not so much that the NCAA did away with the old rules they just pushed up the time frame.  The earlier rule was an NBA rule that the NCAA went along with, well the NCAA then pushed up the date to much earlier.  The NBA actually never changed their rules but they don't control the NCAA.  So the NCAA did this to make it harder for a kid to come back and retain his eligiblity.  Harder mind you but still not impossible.

« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
This here is wisdom.

The real wisdom would be having wise people around you that were not short sighted and didn't see the big picture for your future.

Think about the difference between making say $5.3mm or making $3.3mm because that is the difference between the 10th pick and the 21st pick in the NBA Draft.

If Moe has one bad workout he could fall to 2nd Rd and not even get guaranteed money.

10th pick actually makes $5.85mill in first three years.  I was comparing it to 25 pick and that's $2.9mill over first three years.  Double the money to me makes it a no brainer but as Theo points out I'm not of need, never have been.  But Mo is certainly not a can't miss prospect.  His first contract could very well be the best one he ever gets.  Don't understand why his advisors don't see it would be worth the year to make sure it's as large as possible.  Most of us will make over $2.9 mill in our careers but I'm betting far fewer will make $5.8 mill.  It's a substantial difference.  Especially if you're supporting a troop of hangers on (or kids LOL).   I'm sure Mo will make a decent living if he goes this year and if he doesn't make it in the NBA will collect a check making ball somewhere for the next 10 years.  But a lottery contract helps set you up for life.

paultzman

« Reply #259 on: March 15, 2012, 01:06:05 PM »
Linch pins of Lavin recruiting are NBA readiness via Rico, Dunlap, etc and past success getting kids to next level. Want Moe to stay, but his success this year and going to NBA only confirms that. Big issue to recruits!