Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies
Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #460 on: March 19, 2012, 03:13:23 PM »
just think it is a shame when a kid cannot be a kid.  Moe is making a mans decision to take care of his family. He should be proud of himself for taking on adult responsibilities. He should be with his friends living the College experience.

Yeah I am sure Moe will be regretting this on the 1st and 15th of every month. ::)

Money is nice. Your youth is priceless....
Yeah, I regret deciding to tote golf bags at age 13, and get out there hustlin' in the world... No regrets - it all happens for a reason.   ;)

« Reply #461 on: March 19, 2012, 03:18:15 PM »
I'm being serious. You're a fool if you don't think he's gonna spend time in the D-league. It'd be great if he came into the league and killed it from day 1 but he's way too raw right now. After the whole Jeremy Lin saga NBA teams won't be afraid to send their young prospects to the the d-league to get some playing time.
C'Mon, you have a little Schadenfreuding goin' on there.  And we're not fools - he could wind up in D League, but not necessary on a day like today.  Celebrate all the good Moe brought his squad and his school.  Be Proud.

Terps fans still laugh at a moment in Nick Caner-Medley's rowdy nature when he was visiting back home in Maine one summer.  Got into a scuffle and said, "I'm from MD, and you can't beat me!"  I want to see that kind of pride oozing out of everyone's pores these upcoming years!  Stick up for Moe from here on out!

I agree. St. John's needed a fresh young face in the league, I wish him well, but I feel like it should have been next year. I really wanted to see a Harkless, Sampson, Obekpa front court :(
Cool.  I too was salivating at the thought of a bigger, more athletic front line having a solid Beast season next year.

But like proud parents, we must see off one of our children into our big world - lol

At least Moe has his head screwed on straight - THAT is over 1/2 the battle to make it long term in the league.

Yeah, like you said it's a bittersweet day. I got a lot of Cuse fans as friends. It'll be nice now that they can't use the argument, "the only good pro you guys have produced over the past 15 years is Metta World Peace."
Announcers immediately take to a player's name change.  I've wondered what would happen if a player decided to legally change his name to something, say, like Steve Martin's dog in the movie The Jerk. Would the announcers have to say his legally changed name? "And Shithead hits the 3 - whatta shot!"

DFF6

« Reply #462 on: March 19, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
In case it wasn't posted yet, here's ESPN's coverage of Moe's press conference:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/story/_/id/7709890/moe-harkless-leaving-st-john-red-storm-early-nba-draft

« Reply #463 on: March 19, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
I heard Mike Beasley say about a year ago that he wished he had stayed longer in college, about how going pro made the game less fun, more work, and just generally regretting leaving school for the NBA after one year. Granted, Harkless seems like a far more mentally stable kid who just isn't the headcase Beasley is, but Beasley came in as a SF with a much, much more refined game then Moe, and has struggled to find his role as an NBA player so far. Even with getting picked in the top 3, and having what most would agree was an NBA ready game, Beasley reflects back and wishes he stayed in school. He just basically didn't realize, like somebody above said, he was trading in his youth and a couple more years of fun for a paycheck, and all of the responsibilities that come with it, that he simply may not have been ready for yet.

I think to go to the league that soon, you have to have a special combination of mental toughness and maturity, combined with supreme skill. We saw it when Lebron came to the league, saw it with D-Rose, and are beginning to see it in Kyrie Irving perhaps. Moe seems like he has the mental side down, but I just don't think he is at all ready for the NBA physically or in terms of skill refinement. As good as Moe was this year, we never saw him dominate and take over a game because he is so raw in so many areas. He would seem to put his stamp on the game in so many different areas, but never completely be able to dominate a game. He doesn't have an NBA jump shot, his handle is questionable, doesn't play much of a back to the basket game, and he doesn't possess a signature, or go to move where he can get a good clean look whenever he wants it, and his is physically too small to defend guys at his height, in my opinion. Now, all of these things can be improved upon, but that is the point, he would have been much better served to stay for one more year and enter the draft with some improvement in these categories. I don't blame or hold it against Moe for leaving, I will never tell a kid to leave that money on the table if he and his family really need it, and I will never hold it against a kid for wanting to realize his dream, even if he may not be ready yet. Best of luck Maurice, it was a pleasure to watch you play, and I just hope that you don't bounce around team to team and never fulfill all of that potential and regret this one day. Here's to hoping you end up in a situation with a coach and teammates who can mold you into the star that you have the talent to be.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:46:02 PM by nrmax88 »

pmg911

« Reply #464 on: March 19, 2012, 03:44:56 PM »
I have to say..  Lavin making quotes about "coaching Moe" are almost funny

ris

« Reply #465 on: March 19, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »
I wish him good luck. Thanks.

We won´t have any player from New York next year.

« Reply #466 on: March 19, 2012, 03:53:00 PM »
Nice to have two millionaires in the 2011 STJ recrutin class.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #467 on: March 19, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »
just think it is a shame when a kid cannot be a kid.  Moe is making a mans decision to take care of his family. He should be proud of himself for taking on adult responsibilities. He should be with his friends living the College experience.

Yeah I am sure Moe will be regretting this on the 1st and 15th of every month. ::)

Money is nice. Your youth is priceless....

You go to college to get a job to make money, right?
He did something in one year that most will never do in a lifetime in terms of income.
Can't fault him.

Life is not a sprint it is a marathon.

I am not faulting him at all. I just wish he was allowed to be a 18 year old College student.

I wish him well for taking on this challenge.

« Reply #468 on: March 19, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
Funniest thing is, all concerns on this board, email, twitter, and speaking to various general managers and college coaches other then jim boheim were all taken into account.  Id like to thank everybody for your wishes and dialogue that was seriously brought to moe and lavin and others intention.

The decision announced tomorrow will make alot more sense when you hear it tomorrow lol 

But seriously dont think every option wasnt factored. Im a little smarter then most think. Thats what dumb people say though right lol.  Anyway, have a good one ya.  Dave hit me up!

We wish Moe nothing but the best, his NBA jersey's are going to be hot, Can't wait until he comes to LA with his team to watch

"The decision announced tomorrow will make alot more sense when you hear it tomorrow lol"  - Realscout

"Many #stjbb fans don't understand the big picture. You'll see. Its all good" - Dave on Twitter Last Night

Anyone have any idea on what these gentlemen are referring to?  Can a highly rated recruit be coming?

from all the quotes i've read, i don't think any have addressed the above 2 comments.  dave, care to elaborate on what you meant by the above?

« Reply #469 on: March 19, 2012, 04:00:03 PM »
Moose also on the dais.

“@TheBBallDiary: In the press conference room of MSG. It will be steve lavin, moe harkless, and rosa harkless - mother.”

Moose is the basketball diary?

Unless Moose lost 40 lbs and turned Asian then he isn't the basketball diary.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #470 on: March 19, 2012, 04:00:16 PM »
I heard Mike Beasley say about a year ago that he wished he had stayed longer in college, about how going pro made the game less fun, more work, and just generally regretting leaving school for the NBA after one year. Granted, Harkless seems like a far more mentally stable kid who just isn't the headcase Beasley is, but Beasley came in as a SF with a much, much more refined game then Moe, and has struggled to find his role as an NBA player so far. Even with getting picked in the top 3, and having what most would agree was an NBA ready game, Beasley reflects back and wishes he stayed in school. He just basically didn't realize, like somebody above said, he was trading in his youth and a couple more years of fun for a paycheck, and all of the responsibilities that come with it, that he simply may not have been ready for yet.

I think to go to the league that soon, you have to have a special combination of mental toughness and maturity, combined with supreme skill. We saw it when Lebron came to the league, saw it with D-Rose, and are beginning to see it in Kyrie Irving perhaps. Moe seems like he has the mental side down, but I just don't think he is at all ready for the NBA physically or in terms of skill refinement. As good as Moe was this year, we never saw him dominate and take over a game because he is so raw in so many areas. He would seem to put his stamp on the game in so many different areas, but never completely be able to dominate a game. He doesn't have an NBA jump shot, his handle is questionable, doesn't play much of a back to the basket game, and he doesn't possess a signature, or go to move where he can get a good clean look whenever he wants it, and his is physically too small to defend guys at his height, in my opinion. Now, all of these things can be improved upon, but that is the point, he would have been much better served to stay for one more year and enter the draft with some improvement in these categories. I don't blame or hold it against Moe for leaving, I will never tell a kid to leave that money on the table if he and his family really need it, and I will never hold it against a kid for wanting to realize his dream, even if he may not be ready yet. Best of luck Maurice, it was a pleasure to watch you play, and I just hope that you don't bounce around team to team and never fulfill all of that potential and regret this one day. Here's to hoping you end up in a situation with a coach and teammates who can mold you into the star that you have the talent to be.
This is like anyone who's grinded on Wall St. for 20 years in a job they didn't like, takes their 5+ MIL up to Vermont to become an Artisan Something, and then says they regret doing it 20+ years later, longing for having done more grad school or a different career.  Easy to say when you're sitting on a pile of cash years later and longing for your innocence...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:00:52 PM by bball purist »

Moose

« Reply #471 on: March 19, 2012, 04:04:48 PM »
Moose also on the dais.

“@TheBBallDiary: In the press conference room of MSG. It will be steve lavin, moe harkless, and rosa harkless - mother.”

Moose is the basketball diary?

Unless Moose lost 40 lbs and turned Asian then he isn't the basketball diary.

But I do love his work :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #472 on: March 19, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »
Congrats Moe I look forward to cheering him on during his NBA career. Whether he should of stayed or not is irrelevant at this point. Lets just support him and trust his judgement

« Reply #473 on: March 19, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
Proud mom.  Proud coach.  Proud fans.  Good luck Moe!

« Reply #474 on: March 19, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »

This is like anyone who's grinded on Wall St. for 20 years in a job they didn't like, takes their 5+ MIL up to Vermont to become an Artisan Something, and then says they regret doing it 20+ years later, longing for having done more grad school or a different career.  Easy to say when you're sitting on a pile of cash years later and longing for your innocence...

eh, but Mike Beasley is still just a kid who would have just been finishing college if he were a 4 year guy. It's not like he is retired from the league and reflecting. It seemed like the thoughts of a kid who was like... "shit, I could have been enjoying these last couple years, been a star on campus and still been getting paid right now, instead of coming out early and getting dogged by the media for the last 3 years". I just thought it was interesting, coming from a guy, who at the time was like 20 or 21 and was worth 8 figures.

« Reply #475 on: March 19, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »
Chris McCullough ‏ @_TeamMccullough n
Moe Harkless going to the #League #Letsgooo

Moe harkless going to the league that's what's up! #nystandup
Retweeted by Chris McCullough

Whoever has mentioned this will be huge for recruiting is dead on.

« Reply #476 on: March 19, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »

Great picture. That's why although I think he should have stuck around I can't hold it against him. That right there is a kid realizing his dream, and the proudest mother in the world. Moe seems like such a nice kid. Best of luck.

Moose

« Reply #477 on: March 19, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »

If McCullough moves up to 13, getting him and Lawrence is making me weak in the knees.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #478 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »

+1000

« Reply #479 on: March 19, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »

If McCullough moves up to 13, getting him and Lawrence is making me weak in the knees.

That would be dangerous