Slice

• 512 replies
Re: Slice
« Reply #340 on: June 08, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »
Most of this board acted like Phil Jackson just agreed to coach us when Barry signed on. Now, it's ehh, it happens?

Name the last time an assistant coach was critical to a head coach's success. Except Mike Dunlap obviously.

ST Jean seems to be doing a lot of heavy lifting here, no?

What success has Mullin had as a head coach. None. So St Jean hasn't contributed to anything. And anyway, no: "Whatever we do, I tell him what I want written up, and he writes it up,” Mullin said. So according to Mullin GSJ is a mere scrivener.

For someone who purportedly loves Chris Mullin you spend a lot of time shitting on him. Just saying.

More busting on people that keep insisting all is well.
I agree I find it ludicrous that Mullin either doesn't know how to draw up plays or doesn't know how to write.  But he looked indifferent and I am really surprised by it. I knew we would stink but I thought he would look more involved , organized whatever. I really hope it works out but in my mind he opened himself up for people to question things outside of wins and losses. Could have been avoided.

Honestly to me and again just my opinion it looked like he knew no matter what we were going to be terrible so he kind of distanced himself from everything.

« Reply #341 on: June 08, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »
Maybe I mam making to big a deal out of things but it is because I want him to succeed. Obviously if we win no one will care who draws up plays where he sits or who his assistants are. Problem is I don't think we are going to win for awhile, which no one would be able to do with hand he was dealt. Just thought things should have gone smoother than they have.

goredmen

« Reply #342 on: June 08, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »
From Zach B

I've been told Barry Rohrssen wasn't happy with his role at St. John's. Relationship between him and Chris Mullin has soured. #sjubb

Zach B has been way off on this thing from the start and has been a complete dick about it, dismissing rumors on twitter and basically calling anybody that asked him about it dumb. Just now when somebody asked why he didn't report that Slice was unhappy earlier he said "some things aren't meant to be reported" and will act like he's known from the start. He's an asshat, always has been.

Zach wants to play nice with Mullin. Maybe he's known, but maybe he also knows that spreading the news hurts the program. In mid June, announcing it when school is out and everyone in deep into baseball and the NBA finals makes it less of a story. People won't notice as much.

It's one thing to hold off reporting something that the staff doesn't want you to report, but he was a dick about it from the start basically calling the rumors nonsense etc. Now he's gonna act like he's know that this has been inevitable for a couple months

I can tell you with certainty Zach knew what was brewing, but exercised discretion in not reporting it as things were in a holding pattern so to speak.  Not saying he was right or wrong, but am clarifying that he was aware of the problems for sure.
then he shouldn't have called people out on the internet if that's what he did. I'm fine with him not revealing what he knows but he shouldn't cop an attitude with people asking about the same rumor that they heard. just say you haven't heard anything or don't answer the people

He has some really poor journalistic practices.

Right now he's nothing more than a propaganda machine for the current staff

Poison

« Reply #343 on: June 08, 2016, 11:33:41 AM »
Why would anyone want Zach to be a true journalist here instead of someone who is rooting for St.John's? This news about Barry and St.John's working on a buyout is bad news any way you look at it. Let it sail like two ships in the night.

The last thing we need is the local press all over us for Jordan followed by Barry. Let it go.

SJUFAN

« Reply #344 on: June 08, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
Is Matt A not supposed to land good recruits, because he is saving a slot for Slice to try and bring in an Alkins, Maker or Ferguson?

Yes you save a ship or two for the players Slice is after. That's what you brought him in for and I would think he's earned that right. Some of the players that Matt has brought in are nice pieces but you can find replacements for those players if landing a big fish doesn't pan out. Slice is not competing for top 150 talent, he's trying to land program changers, that takes time and many don't commit until the last minute. How does it look if your Slice and your putting in work on a top 25-50 player only to have your ship given to a top 150-200 player? I don't think that makes sense and is insulting. Don't see how anyone can think this is good for the program.

« Reply #345 on: June 08, 2016, 11:44:59 AM »
Is Matt A not supposed to land good recruits, because he is saving a slot for Slice to try and bring in an Alkins, Maker or Ferguson?

Yes you save a ship or two for the players Slice is after. That's what you brought him in for and I would think he's earned that right. Some of the players that Matt has brought in are nice pieces but you can find replacements for those players if landing a big fish doesn't pan out. Slice is not competing for top 150 talent, he's trying to land program changers, that takes time and many don't commit until the last minute. How does it look if your Slice and your putting in work on a top 25-50 player only to have your ship given to a top 150-200 player? I don't think that makes sense and is insulting. Don't see how anyone can think this is good for the program.

Then based on your theory, which I agree is valid, perhaps Slice should have been brought in after the program achieved some success and he could lure top 50 talent to an established situation rather than trying to get top guys to come into a less than ideal circumstances.  Or, maybe Slice's approach was shown up by Matt's hard working attitude.   Or from a game coaching situation, maybe Slice didn't fit in with Mullin's Warrior mafia approach to delegating responsibilities. 8)

« Reply #346 on: June 08, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
If Herron changed his mind two months ago, was able to decommit from Auburn, and wanted to go to St. John's because of Slice, you don't think one of those "slots" would have magically opened?  A staff has to make calculated risks.  If the majority, particularly the head coach, believes that a Thon Maker is a lock to go pro (or not be eligible), or a Ferguson is essentially a lock to not be eligible, or are long shots to attend SJU in the first place, would you rather fill the ship with one of the best JUCO's in the country or a top Euro?  I don't think it is even a question. 

I'm more concerned about the loss long term with Slice than the short term.  I have no issue with taking the kids we have coming in over missing out on them for an Alkins, Maker or Ferguson (the latter two who won't even see college, and the former who was a really tough get with eligibility issues to begin with).

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #347 on: June 08, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
The tradition of revolving asst. coaches continues. Slice leaving isn't good, but having a HOF player replace him will prevent the news from being terrible....As long as they show improvement this season.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #348 on: June 08, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »
I'd feel worse about this if the best thing Slice did for us was getting Durand Johnson.

Maybe that;s just me being naive

redslope

« Reply #349 on: June 08, 2016, 12:21:04 PM »
Something smells rotten in Denmark.  No notice from SJU/no bloggers commenting.  Is this to make up for a quiet April Fool's Day of posting??????

Fordham is not one to fool around.
  Mea culpa and props to Fordham for his early commentary on this subject!!!!!

goredmen

« Reply #350 on: June 08, 2016, 12:29:59 PM »
Why would anyone want Zach to be a true journalist here instead of someone who is rooting for St.John's? This news about Barry and St.John's working on a buyout is bad news any way you look at it. Let it sail like two ships in the night.

The last thing we need is the local press all over us for Jordan followed by Barry. Let it go.

You are way off on this. Zach actually has some power because he's the only actual "reporter" covering the St. John's beat and if he is in the tank for the current staff and spins stories based on that, that is a HUGE problem. For most people in this area, they don't follow this program as closely as we do, and perhaps the only time they are exposed to news about the program is one of Zach's articles. Had Zach been as in the tank for Lavin and current staff and spun stories to make them look better, they might still be here.

Foad

« Reply #351 on: June 08, 2016, 12:43:37 PM »
if he is in the tank for the current staff and spins stories based on that, that is a HUGE problem.

How is getting good press a HUGE PROBLEM in capital letters.

ras

« Reply #352 on: June 08, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »

Then based on your theory, which I agree is valid, perhaps Slice should have been brought in after the program achieved some success and he could lure top 50 talent to an established situation rather than trying to get top guys to come into a less than ideal circumstances.  Or, maybe Slice's approach was shown up by Matt's hard working attitude.   Or from a game coaching situation, maybe Slice didn't fit in with Mullin's Warrior mafia approach to delegating responsibilities. 8)
I agree. Hard  to recruit UK type talent to a last place team. Matts type of recruits are better for us at this stage of the game. Slice  was also probably peeved at the fact that St. Jean was doing  more in game coaching than him.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:17:02 PM by ras »

goredmen

« Reply #353 on: June 08, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »
if he is in the tank for the current staff and spins stories based on that, that is a HUGE problem.

Because if all the reporters do is generate positive propaganda even in terrible times, Norm might still be the coach

Foad

« Reply #354 on: June 08, 2016, 01:52:28 PM »

Because if all the reporters do is generate positive propaganda even in terrible times, Norm might still be the coach

But Norm isn't the coach, Mullin is, and they're not going to fire him ever, much less because of something Zach B says about him in the Post. Mullin could make love Louie at half court during midnight madness and they wouldn't fire him.

« Reply #355 on: June 08, 2016, 02:09:30 PM »

But Norm isn't the coach, Mullin is, and they're not going to fire him ever, much less because of something Zach B says about him in the Post. Mullin could make love Louie at half court during midnight madness and they wouldn't fire him.

But if Louie was passed out Mullin would only get 3 months jail time in California
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:10:09 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #356 on: June 08, 2016, 02:28:56 PM »
Most of this board acted like Phil Jackson just agreed to coach us when Barry signed on. Now, it's ehh, it happens?

Name the last time an assistant coach was critical to a head coach's success. Except Mike Dunlap obviously.

ST Jean seems to be doing a lot of heavy lifting here, no?

Agreed --- I have a feeling Mullin is confident they have enough basketball X and O minds between him and St. Jean.

That may be the problem

« Reply #357 on: June 08, 2016, 02:30:50 PM »

Nail on head

« Reply #358 on: June 08, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »
Don't disagree. But who does that apply to this year coming in?  Ahmed, Ponds, Freudenberg?

paultzman

« Reply #359 on: June 08, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »

No surprise but Evan Daniels noted "Mitch Richmond is the frontrunner to replace Slice Rohrssen as an assistant at St. John's, per sources."