Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies
Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #500 on: February 26, 2009, 08:08:21 AM »
i'd say he'd come if he had a coach who could take him to the next level.  I'm not convinced he believes norm's the guy.

When you go by the name "Born Ready" I do not think you you look for anyone to take you to the next level. You take yourself.

Lance likes the big stage and there will be no bigger stage then leading St. John's back to the top of the Big East.

« Reply #501 on: February 27, 2009, 01:26:28 PM »
Lance said he likes  :-* Wakeforest because they have a good group of big men & that is the same reason why he likes the Jayhawks because of the twins that is not a good sign for us. Our  C & PF position are one of our weak points  :'(.That scares me to know he actually watches college basketball.

Evans and Burrell are not the weak point of our team shooting is and Lance would cure that quickly. Replace Kennedy with Mason and Boothe with Lance and we are bsting that zone

We don't have the type of big men you can dump the ball into & they can do a post move. They are good role players but not like the dominate big men in Wake & Kansas.

Lance said he is down to 3 in the scout article does anyone know what 3?
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #502 on: February 27, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=917736

I do like Maryland's chances, though, to land Stephenson. Maryland has some positive energy going. Washington, D.C., is a large metropolitan area that is accessible from New York City. And I haven't seen or heard any type of refutation of the Stephenson-Under Armour-Maryland connection.

« Reply #503 on: February 27, 2009, 01:35:54 PM »
although i've said stj would be a good fit.  i'm really starting to think kansas would be perfect for him.

« Reply #504 on: February 27, 2009, 04:22:44 PM »
maryland is probably out because williams has been dissing the aau.

maybe self will throw norm a bone....not that norm ever did anything for self except ride his coattails.

« Reply #505 on: March 01, 2009, 10:09:01 AM »

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/ncaa#?eref=fromSI
When Lance Stephenson and his parents came to the area in late January for an official visit to the University of Maryland, the high school basketball standout from Brooklyn, N.Y., was courted by two suitors. His itinerary included not just attending a Maryland home game and meeting Terrapins coaches, but also a visit to the Under Armour athletic apparel company in Baltimore. Maryland wanted the heralded guard to be the centerpiece of a recruiting class that would help make the Terrapins a contender in the ACC in the 2009-10 season. At the same time, industry sources said, Under Armour wanted to build a relationship with Stephenson so he would become part of its fledgling basketball shoe division if he reaches the NBA. The most elite high school basketball players are often recruited by shoe companies, but rarely is a company also a major benefactor of a university pursuing the same player. Under Armour founder and chief executive Kevin Plank is a former Maryland football player and member of the school's Board of Trustees. That means the NCAA considers him a "representative of the institution's athletics interests," commonly known as a booster. Under Armour Inc. is acknowledged by Maryland as a member of its "Legends" benefactor group, meaning it has donated more than $1 million to the school. NCAA recruiting bylaws can make such an arrangement dicey. A Maryland official said the school, after being asked by a Washington Post reporter about Under Armour's relationship with Stephenson, is investigating the case to determine whether any NCAA rules have been violated. The official said the school plans to speak to Under Armour personnel tomorrow.

Washington Post

Poison

« Reply #506 on: March 01, 2009, 09:08:49 PM »
although i've said stj would be a good fit.  i'm really starting to think kansas would be perfect for him.

The biggest negative that Kansas has going for them is that they play in Kansas—and if you've ever been there, you know that it's as crappy as this country gets.

« Reply #507 on: March 01, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »

The biggest negative that Kansas has going for them is that they play in Kansas—and if you've ever been there, you know that it's as crappy as this country gets.
I've been in every state in the union.
I'd rather spend my winters in Lawrence, which is essentially a suburb of Kansas City, than depressing Syracuse.

« Reply #508 on: March 01, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »

I'd rather spend my winters in Lawrence, which is essentially a suburb of Kansas City, than depressing Syracuse.

Syracuse...I spent a month there one night.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #509 on: March 02, 2009, 09:02:18 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/02/maryland-reviewing-lance-related-ncaa-violations/#more-12716

The University of Maryland is investigating potential NCAA violations connected to Lance Stephenson’s official visit to campus last month.

The Washington Post on Sunday reported that Maryland may have violated NCAA rules by allowing Stephenson, the 6-foot-5 star out of Brooklyn Lincoln, and his family to take a tour of the Under Armour facilities in Baltimore. Under Armour is owned and run by Kevin Plank, a former Maryland football player and member of the school’s Board of Trustees. (Plank is pictured at center, courtesy the AP).

The story also reported that Byron Mouton, a former Maryland basketball player, spoke to Stephenson and encouraged him to come to the program, a potential violation of NCAA recruiting practices.

The University issued the following statement on its Website.

“The coaches and staff of Maryland Athletics are diligent in regards to following NCAA rules and regulations. We have worked for many years with numerous corporate partners and sponsors, including Under Armour, to provide them with comprehensive rules education support. Our business relationship with Under Armour, as the department’s exclusive apparel provider, is a relationship common throughout collegiate athletics.

“Per the University’s normal compliance review policy, which includes University legal counsel and faculty athletic representative participation, allegations of improprieties are reviewed whenever anything is brought to our attention. The review related to Byron Mouton’s recent, public comments in the Washington Post, regarding conversation with a recruit during his visit to campus, is in process. The contact was reported to the Atlantic Coast Conference, per standard procedure. If this situation did occur as described in the Post story of March 1st, it would most likely be a minor violation, per NCAA rules, not likely impacting the eligibility and/or recruitment of the recruit.

“As the campus review process for both of these situations is ongoing, there can be no further comment from Maryland Athletics in order to best ensure the integrity of the process.”

Stephenson is considering Maryland, Kansas and St. John’s  and says he could announce March 21 after the PSAL championship game at Madison Square Garden
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:02:47 AM by buckeyestorm »

pmg911

« Reply #510 on: March 02, 2009, 09:42:20 AM »

that is pretty cool..   i bet not a lot of people can say that

« Reply #511 on: March 02, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »

that is pretty cool..   i bet not a lot of people can say that
Thanks. There are a lot of people that tend not to get out of their region or even state. I've tried to explore and experience this great country of ours.

As for Lance, I don't know how serious of a player Kansas is, but Self is one of the most effective recruiters in the country.
http://theshiver.com/2009/02/ill-be-back-lance-stephenson-talks-kansas/

« Reply #512 on: March 04, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »
"However, Lance does have a date in mind to make his announcement.

“April 15,” said Stephenson.

April 15th certainly won’t come fast enough for Kansas fans as the highly regarded player from New York has one of the most anticipated decsions in recent memory."

I thought he was announcing march 21st?

« Reply #513 on: March 04, 2009, 12:32:16 PM »
"However, Lance does have a date in mind to make his announcement.

“April 15,” said Stephenson.

April 15th certainly won’t come fast enough for Kansas fans as the highly regarded player from New York has one of the most anticipated decsions in recent memory."

I thought he was announcing march 21st?

as far as im concerned, the longer it takes him to announce, the less of a chance we have.

LJSA

« Reply #514 on: March 05, 2009, 02:44:18 AM »
I heard Lance changed it to April 15th to make sure guilt wouldn't get the better of him and prompt him to declare Maryland's payoff on his tax return.

« Reply #515 on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03082009/sports/college/stephenson_puts_on_show_for_sju_staff_158530.htm

St. John's had the welcoming committee out in full force for Lance Stephenson yesterday when the Lincoln senior played his first game on the SJU campus this year.

Norm Roberts, several assistants and players stood near the court for the duration of top-seeded Lincoln's surprisingly close 86-80 win over No. 9 Transit Tech in the PSAL AA quarterfinals. The three-time defending champs advanced to next Sunday's semifinals, where they will meet No. 4 Boys & Girls, a 63-51 winner over No. 12 Edison.

So, what kind of show did Roberts & Co. see last night from the coveted recruit?

Stephenson scored a game-high 28 points, but lacked some of the dominance that he has displayed at times during his four-year career at the Coney Island school. Still, he was good - and perhaps just as importantly - the demonstrativeness that occasionally has marred his game - arguing with teammates and officials, among other things - was largely absent.

"I had fun," said Stephenson, trying to help Lincoln become the first team in PSAL history to win four straight titles. "This was my first time on their new court, and I wanted to play well."

And he admitted that he is feeling the effects of being just two wins from history.

"There's a lot of pressure," Stephenson said. "Everyone knows what we're going for, and they don't want to let me get there."

Last night, Transit Tech put up a fight, staying in the game throughout. Lincoln figures to be in for another battle in the semis, taking on Boys & Girls, one of the few city teams that has shown it can beat Lincoln.

The teams met for the PSAL title in each of the past two years, and coach Ruth Lovelace thinks next week's game, also at St. John's, could be to his team's advantage.

"It might be good not to play at the Garden," Lovelace said with a laugh, her team filled with five new starters from a year ago. "Mix it up a little bit."

Second-seeded JFK also advanced to the semis, thanks in part to the coaching of Johnny Mathis, who has his players believing that the Knights can win it all for the first time since 2005.

JFK beat Lincoln in that championship game, the last time the Railsplitters didn't capture the title. Lincoln responded by ending the Knights' season with playoff wins each of the past three years.

"Other coaches don't have his experience," said Naquan Pierce, who scored 38 points as the Knights squeaked by No. 10 McKee, 85-81, in OT. "He's won championships. He's beaten Lincoln. There's no one else around who can say that they've done what he's done."

All while battling diabetes, which has cost him six toes to amputation.

"I've never thought of giving it up," said Mathis, 64. "Coaching keeps me young. It keeps me going."

Next up is No. 3 Jefferson, which knocked off sixth-seeded Forest Hills, 70-59, getting 24 points from Joel Wright and 19 from Keith Spellman.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:41:41 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #516 on: March 10, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
lance to maryland..

the show is over folks.

« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »
lance to maryland..

the show is over folks.

Coming from a Seton Hall fan....  Yeah, right! 

« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »
lance to maryland..

the show is over folks.
Heavy lean? or he's already committed?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »
lance to maryland..

the show is over folks.
Heavy lean? or he's already committed?

It was a spam post, jumpinjohnny.