Christopher Obekpa - PF - Our Savior New American - Centereach, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 1708 replies

boo3

‏ @JonRothstein
From a pure shot blocking perspective, Chris Obekpa isn't that far behind Nerlens Noel. Lacks the other things Noel possesses though.

paultzman

Theo noted sub par competition, but anyway,

“@TheoRabinowitz: Felix finishes with 23 pts and Obekpa with 13 and probably at least 10 blocks. #stjbb”

Think we are going to like Felix!

MCNPA

Chris sure has been a recruiting mystery, well maybe, not that mysterious.

If he wanted St. John's, he probably would have committed already knowing the "tall" players Coach Lavin was recruiting.  I know, nothing is definite yet, but the sand in the recruiting hour glass is running out.

Too bad, I would have loved to see him swat a mess of shots down over the next few years.

Yeah, but if he loved Cincy as much as rumored, why hasn't he committed there yet either? 

Gumby

If he wanted St. John's, he probably would have committed already knowing the "tall" players Coach Lavin was recruiting.  I know, nothing is definite yet, but the sand in the recruiting hour glass is running out.

Too bad, I would have loved to see him swat a mess of shots down over the next few years.

Yeah, but if he loved Cincy as much as rumored, why hasn't he committed there yet either?

I am with you.  I hope Coach pulls a "Nolan" and signs Chris O. to stay in town and play with Felix and the rest of our guys.  Chris' blocks could be nightly highlights on local TV.

MCNPA

I am with you.  I hope Coach pulls a "Nolan" and signs Chris O. to stay in town and play with Felix and the rest of our guys.  Chris' blocks could be nightly highlights on local TV.

I think Obekpa fits out style perfectly.  Maybe it's a longshot, I don't know, but recently he tweeted about missing home and his buddy Felix is at SJU.  I'm pretty sure Lavs won't let him go without a fight even though he's been rumored as a Cincy lean.

LJSA

Maybe he's looking for something else that Oregon offers but Cincy so far hasn't provided.

paultzman

Maybe he's looking for something else that Oregon offers but Cincy so far hasn't provided.

Maybe he never goes to Oregon.

LJSA

Maybe he's waiting for interest from Kentucky like every single other kid these days.

I'd say whether or not he joins us, the supporting cast now ready to receive him provides a perfect fit.  He can obviously see that.  He has had success with his friend Balamou in the past, and good reason to continue.  And he no doubt has supporters in our area, unlike Cincy and Oregon, so with us he can count on that support network for basketball and for the challenges of school and being away from home.  Final anaylsis, with pros and cons list, SJU is absolutely over the top perfect fit.

Happy

I know Providence fans are feeling good again about Obepka since he played with Kris Dunn all weekend.

Chilleb

I know Providence fans are feeling good again about Obepka since he played with Kris Dunn all weekend.
If its not us it's cincy, he plays with Felix everyday of his life yet we know it's not looking good. Providence fans...

Moose

If its not us it's cincy, he plays with Felix everyday of his life yet we know it's not looking good. Providence fans...

Give Prov fans credit.  At this point there are looking for any inch of a good sign.  Until the rug gets pulled out from under them again
Remember who broke the Slice news

Chilleb

Give Prov fans credit.  At this point there are looking for any inch of a good sign.  Until the rug gets pulled out from under them again
There just plain old greedy, they have a top 7 recruiting class already

paultzman

If Ledo pans out.

paultzman

Maybe he's waiting for interest from Kentucky like every single other kid these days.

Not Kentucky, but Oregon in final two for Anthony Bennett, a power forward. If AB goes there, leaves us and Cincinnati. Cinci still leads IMO, but in "Bizarro World", who knows!

“@GilMuako: F Anthony Bennett has dropped Kentucky off his list per @EvanDanielscout will decide between Oregon and UNLV”
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:34:50 AM by paultzman »

Not Kentucky, but Oregon in final two for Anthony Bennett, a power forward. If AB goes there, leaves us and Cincinnati. Cinci still leads IMO, but in "Bizarro World", who knows!

“@GilMuako: F Anthony Bennett has dropped Kentucky off his list per @EvanDanielscout will decide between Oregon and UNLV”
he must seriously like the weed to consider Oregon over UK.  Forgive my speculation. Just figured I'd "light"en it up a bit since the payola comments usually surface with these reports - lol
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:04:26 AM by bball purist »

Marillac

Ledo will be a diaster if he ever steps foot on the court for them. 

paultzman

+1

gman

Why do you say if? Grades?

Moose

Why do you say if? Grades?

He is not a team oriented player.  From the many times I've seen him play he is selfish and does more pissing others off than good.
Remember who broke the Slice news