Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies
Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #440 on: March 19, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »
God Bless him.  He is a great kid who is chasing his dreams.

Don't have anything against what he is doing.  Probably could use another year but who am I to say.  I don't have his situation or opportunity.

Again in the long run this will be a net positive.  This program will be seen as one that produces future pros.

This here is the wisdom.

Look, this decision is a bit of a gamble no doubt.  Always is.

But Im so happy fo one of the nicest, humblest kids out there. A tru NYC baller. A tru gentleman. A tru representative of St. John.

NOW GIVE IT TO THEM IN THE WORKOUTS SON!!!!!!
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #441 on: March 19, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »
Really love the way posters are ripping his decision.

Stay classy folks.

Amen!

« Reply #442 on: March 19, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »

Stay classy folks.
Moose - most of us realize today is a bittersweet, joyful day. We should be proud of what Moe accomplished and will accomplish.  Personally, I'd like him to keep growing as a very fine young man and represent St. John's and himself well.  That will be his legacy from this new beginning.

AND - I want Moe to thrive financially for his family.  I get very happy to see the guys succeed on a path to financial security so their future generations can benefit from their gifts.

« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2012, 02:55:57 PM »
there's no difference between what Moe is doing and any entrepreneur.  it's a risk. you take it and work your ass off to succeed. 

good luck moe!

« Reply #444 on: March 19, 2012, 02:59:01 PM »
I'm being serious. You're a fool if you don't think he's gonna spend time in the D-league. It'd be great if he came into the league and killed it from day 1 but he's way too raw right now. After the whole Jeremy Lin saga NBA teams won't be afraid to send their young prospects to the the d-league to get some playing time.
C'Mon, you have a little Schadenfreuding goin' on there.  And we're not fools - he could wind up in D League, but not necessary on a day like today.  Celebrate all the good Moe brought his squad and his school.  Be Proud.

Terps fans still laugh at a moment in Nick Caner-Medley's rowdy nature when he was visiting back home in Maine one summer.  Got into a scuffle and said, "I'm from MD, and you can't beat me!"  I want to see that kind of pride oozing out of everyone's pores these upcoming years!  Stick up for Moe from here on out!

« Reply #445 on: March 19, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
Good Luck Moe

Know you'll rep SJU proudly

desco80

« Reply #446 on: March 19, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
I'm being serious. You're a fool if you don't think he's gonna spend time in the D-league. It'd be great if he came into the league and killed it from day 1 but he's way too raw right now. After the whole Jeremy Lin saga NBA teams won't be afraid to send their young prospects to the the d-league to get some playing time.

Look at the forwards in the middle of last year's 1st round:  Moe fits right in.  NBA teams have a lot more patience then you think.  They don't expect every player to step in and be a big contributor from day 1.

13) Markieff Morris
14) Marcus Morris
15) Kawhi Leonard
18) Chris Singleton
19) Tobias Harris
26) Jordan Hamilton
30) Jimmy Butler

None of these guys are blowing up the league, they weren't expected to!    I think everyone overrates how many players are truly NBA ready as rookies.   

« Reply #447 on: March 19, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »

Stay classy folks.

If Harkless blew out his knee next year or played horrible for some reason he would be kicking himself for the rest of his life. Of course selfishly I wanted him to stay but who am I to think a kid should turn down millions of dollars to do what he loves doing. Nothing in life is guarenteed.

Poison

« Reply #448 on: March 19, 2012, 03:02:30 PM »
Why hire an agent? Go, test the waters if you must, by why cut off all possibility to eventually make a wiser choice? Who is advising this kid? Oh yea.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #449 on: March 19, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
C'Mon, you have a little Schadenfreuding goin' on there.  And we're not fools - he could wind up in D League, but not necessary on a day like today.  Celebrate all the good Moe brought his squad and his school.  Be Proud.

Terps fans still laugh at a moment in Nick Caner-Medley's rowdy nature when he was visiting back home in Maine one summer.  Got into a scuffle and said, "I'm from MD, and you can't beat me!"  I want to see that kind of pride oozing out of everyone's pores these upcoming years!  Stick up for Moe from here on out!

I agree. St. John's needed a fresh young face in the league, I wish him well, but I feel like it should have been next year. I really wanted to see a Harkless, Sampson, Obekpa front court :(

« Reply #450 on: March 19, 2012, 03:04:51 PM »
I just think it is a shame when a kid cannot be a kid.  Moe is making a mans decision to take care of his family. He should be proud of himself for taking on adult responsibilities. He should be with his friends living the College experience.

Moose

« Reply #451 on: March 19, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »

Get paid over a million to play in the D-League as opposed to getting paid over a million to sit at the end of the bench Toney Douglas style?

Whatever you want coach.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #452 on: March 19, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »

I agree. St. John's needed a fresh young face in the league, I wish him well, but I feel like it should have been next year. I really wanted to see a Harkless, Sampson, Obekpa front court :(
Cool.  I too was salivating at the thought of a bigger, more athletic front line having a solid Beast season next year.

But like proud parents, we must see off one of our children into our big world - lol

At least Moe has his head screwed on straight - THAT is over 1/2 the battle to make it long term in the league.   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:07:38 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #453 on: March 19, 2012, 03:07:15 PM »
 just think it is a shame when a kid cannot be a kid.  Moe is making a mans decision to take care of his family. He should be proud of himself for taking on adult responsibilities. He should be with his friends living the College experience.

Yeah I am sure Moe will be regretting this on the 1st and 15th of every month. ::)

Foad

« Reply #454 on: March 19, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »
Great two days for SJU. Moe Harkless goes to the NBA and Norm Roberts adds another Sweet 16 to his illustrious resume.

« Reply #455 on: March 19, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
just think it is a shame when a kid cannot be a kid.  Moe is making a mans decision to take care of his family. He should be proud of himself for taking on adult responsibilities. He should be with his friends living the College experience.

Yeah I am sure Moe will be regretting this on the 1st and 15th of every month. ::)
Prolly 10 years from now, he'll look back and think and wonder "what if" he had stayed with his guys.  But that's ok - life throws all of us different obstacles we need to overcome.

Moe is doing just fine; but, you're exactly right - in an ideal world, Moe has parents w/ money as no object and he can do a Hansborough and stay in college extra time...Then again, he's living a dream either way - can't lose.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:11:53 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #456 on: March 19, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »
Norm Roberts adds another Sweet 16 to his illustrious resume

Yeah this Florida team's record will sure look nice on his next fabricated basketball card. 

« Reply #457 on: March 19, 2012, 03:11:10 PM »

Money is nice. Your youth is priceless....

Moose

« Reply #458 on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »

Money is nice. Your youth is priceless....

You go to college to get a job to make money, right?
He did something in one year that most will never do in a lifetime in terms of income.
Can't fault him.
Remember who broke the Slice news

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #459 on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:56 PM »

Cool.  I too was salivating at the thought of a bigger, more athletic front line having a solid Beast season next year.

But like proud parents, we must see off one of our children into our big world - lol

At least Moe has his head screwed on straight - THAT is over 1/2 the battle to make it long term in the league.

Yeah, like you said it's a bittersweet day. I got a lot of Cuse fans as friends. It'll be nice now that they can't use the argument, "the only good pro you guys have produced over the past 15 years is Metta World Peace."