Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies

ras

Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #340 on: February 21, 2020, 10:20:12 PM »
Yes you could.

Or you could make the argument that these freshmen just weren't ready as Duke didn't know the difference between a field goal and a pick and roll at that point and Dr. Roberts weighed less than me and I'm way, way short of 6'. Additionally, you could argue that the patient way they were allowed to develop last season has led to the nothing short of a revelation that Earlington has been this season.
You second argument has some validity. The problem was we had no depth . I believe the players were worn out by the end of the year playing so many minutes. That is why we tanked at the end of the season.

« Reply #341 on: February 21, 2020, 10:24:28 PM »
The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, so early in the morning. Carry on on your fools errand. Anybody ever going to learn everyone is entrenched in their positions and further arguing is both futile and redundant?  ::)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:25:37 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2020, 10:32:58 PM »
You second argument has some validity. The problem was we had no depth . I believe the players were worn out by the end of the year playing so many minutes. That is why we tanked at the end of the season.
There's no question we had no depth. Ridiculous posts immediately proceeding this to the contrary aside. You could be right.

« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2020, 10:34:15 PM »
The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus go round and round, so early in the morning. Carry on on your fools errand. Anybody ever going to learn everyone is entrenched in their positions and further arguing is both futile and redundant?  ::)
It reminds me of today's political landscape.

SJUFAN

« Reply #344 on: February 21, 2020, 11:35:10 PM »
Hey I like that. Go right to a comparison of minutes played as proof of depth. Who could argue with that?

Only simpletons would buy that argument. Oh wait.

« Reply #345 on: February 22, 2020, 12:08:56 AM »
Mullin had no/minimal depth because he was responsible for that. I don’t get why that’s not a fault attributed to him. It’s not an excuse for him. He didn’t have a GM who failed him. It was his job to complete the roster.

I love Mullin, reason why I am a fan and which ultimately drove me to attend, but they did him a favor as his “upward trajectory” was going to end this year if he was retained.

And btw, this has nothing to do vs Anderson. Judgment still open on his tenure.

« Reply #346 on: February 22, 2020, 12:47:42 AM »
This thread is like Groundhog Day
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #347 on: February 22, 2020, 12:48:41 AM »
In no universe. It's an awful record for St. Johns.

Yet following down that path, what incentive, other than money of course, would there be for any coach to accept a complete rebuild/overhaul only to be criticized eventually on your overall record when the reality is there was absolutely no chance in hell to have anything but a horrendous record your first two seasons?

He didn’t inherit a complete rebuild. He created one. He inherited a team coming off back to back 20 win seasons and a NCAA tournament appearance. Two top 100 kids signed. Most coaches would have excelled in that situation. Open ships, opportunity to bring in their own players. Mullin going 4-14 in year 3 with 3 NBA players in the starting line up. If Anderson does that fire him immediately.

SJUFAN

« Reply #348 on: February 22, 2020, 12:57:33 AM »
Would this be the same Roberts who just two posts ago you cited as proof of why SJ had such great depth last year? Or was that another Roberts you were referring to? Julia Roberts maybe? Doris? Oral? Pernell? They were all such great ball players. Do tell. 

I didn’t say they had great depth last year. I said last years team had more depth. Comparatively speaking. Roberts is the same player he was last year, only difference is Anderson doesn’t have a better option.

SJUFAN

« Reply #349 on: February 22, 2020, 01:04:24 AM »
Yes you could.

Or you could make the argument that these freshmen just weren't ready as Duke didn't know the difference between a field goal and a pick and roll at that point and Dr. Roberts weighed less than me and I'm way, way short of 6'. Additionally, you could argue that the patient way they were allowed to develop last season has led to the nothing short of a revelation that Earlington has been this season.

They weren’t ready? They still aren’t ready!!!!! There is a difference between depth and quality depth. If Rutherford and Roberts are your starters, how bad must your back ups be? Just because the back ups play doesn’t mean you have quality depth, it means you extend your bench. That’s a coaching philosophy.

« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2020, 01:37:40 AM »
He didn’t inherit a complete rebuild. He created one. He inherited a team coming off back to back 20 win seasons and a NCAA tournament apearance. Two top 100 kids signed. Most coaches would have excelled in that situation. Open ships, opportunity to bring in their own players. Mullin going 4-14 in year 3 with 3 NBA players in the starting line up. If Anderson does that fire him immediately.

This is complete utter nonsense. He didn't inherit two top 100 kids. Those kids hadn't even stepped one foot on campus yet. Samir wasn't top 100 either. Those kids commited to Steve Lavin period. Rysheed had stopped going to class and wasn't going to be eligble. When he decided he wanted to come play for Mullin it was too late.

How has Anderson excelled with open schollies? He filled them with McGriff, Sears,Rutherford, and Champiagne (who looks like he will be ok). He hasn't brought in a top 100 kid yet. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #351 on: February 22, 2020, 02:55:35 AM »
This is complete utter nonsense. He didn't inherit two top 100 kids. Those kids hadn't even stepped one foot on campus yet. Samir wasn't top 100 either. Those kids commited to Steve Lavin period. Rysheed had stopped going to class and wasn't going to be eligble. When he decided he wanted to come play for Mullin it was too late.

How has Anderson excelled with open schollies? He filled them with McGriff, Sears,Rutherford, and Champiagne (who looks like he will be ok). He hasn't brought in a top 100 kid yet. 

I was referring to Jordan and CO. Jordan never went to class. Didn’t stop him from being eligible before. Mullin didn’t care for the drama and didn’t want to babysit. That’s his choice. He could have had Jordan and CO if he wanted them.

You’ll see next year how Anderson has done.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:05:57 AM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #352 on: February 22, 2020, 04:13:11 AM »
Wins are objective and can be measured:

1st season   8-24
2nd season 14-19
3rd season  16-17
4th season  21-13*

*Ncaa tournament bid

Take note of the upward trajectory and the * footnote.

Lets be honest here, Mullins 3rd year here was an utter embarrassment. That roster and 4-14 in conference is inexcusable. If you think that year was an improvement than you have some issues. I think we can all agree on that. He was worse from year 2 to year 3 in the conference and thats what matters. Obviously he was going to get better from year 1 to year two because they won 1 conference game in his first year......

TONYD3

« Reply #353 on: February 22, 2020, 05:57:49 AM »
It's somewhat surprising that the traitors are not appreciative of the upward trajectory that Mullin's coaching career exemplified as it's exactly the same one followed by two semi-recent fan favorite player classes:

The Paris Horne class was hammered unmercifully on this board for three years until they finally broke through in their senior season with an opening game Ncaa tournament loss. Now Hilton, DJ, JB1, Malik2, Evans et all are remembered fondly due solely to their final season.

The Phil Greene class met the same derogatory treatment here for three years until they finally broke through in their senior season with an opening game Ncaa tournament loss.
Now the Rectangle, 3'lo and Sir Dom are widely revered.

Why did the most important figure in the history of the program not get justified recognition and appreciation from some for the same departing triumph?

Norm Roberts didn’t have a chance. He was unable to compete. The other teams were that much better. I was around during his days. From memory he wasn’t constantly bashed. It was understood he was in over his head. Maybe in the early years people stuck up for him. By the end their was no debate. Lavin’s 1st year was amazing. He proved that you can win here.
Phil Greene’s team won. I enjoyed watching them for 4 years. Your stupid theory about the tournament is non sense. That team bullied the big east at times. They didn’t win as much as would have liked. But we had a team to be proud of.
As fast as Lavin made us relevant coach Mullin made us terrible. We went from Deangelo Harrison and dom pointer to that shit. 5 years and counting of losing is all on coach muggggles.
This school is not cursed. The norm Roberts experience shouldn’t have lasted 6 years. And someone with a brain should have interviewed Chris mullin. It would have been OBVIOUS that he didn’t have a clue what he was doing or the work ethic needed to do the job. 2 lazy hall of famers are not better then none.
You should end your ridiculous crusade. Chris mullin doesn’t even follow college basketball.

« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »
I was referring to Jordan and CO. Jordan never went to class. Didn’t stop him from being eligible before. Mullin didn’t care for the drama and didn’t want to babysit. That’s his choice. He could have had Jordan and CO if he wanted them.

You’ll see next year how Anderson has done.

Obekpa had just committed the cardinal sin of getting suspended from an Ncaa tournament bid for smoking the ganj and Jordan was in federal prison on felony charges a short while after. You think it would have been easy to keep these two on the roster?

News flash: Mullin found to be responsible for climate change. Story at 11.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:42:24 AM by carmineabbatiello »

SJUFAN

« Reply #355 on: February 22, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »
Obekpa had just committed the cardinal sin of getting suspended from an Ncaa tournament bid for smoking the ganj and Jordan was in federal prison on felony charges a short while after. You think it would have been easy to keep these two on the roster?

Again he was left with two top 100 players, one being the highest rated player the school got in a very long time. He could have had them on the team IF he wanted them. It would have required a hands on approach. He didn’t want to do that fine that’s his choice. The roster he ended up with was HIS doing. He continued to reap the benefits of Lavin’s recruiting after Lavin left. That is not a program needing to be rebuilt. Who are the players that Mullin and company had real interest in the school? Mack? The program was on life support and Anderson is being tasked with bringing it out of comatose.

« Reply #356 on: February 22, 2020, 12:40:34 PM »
This thread is like Groundhog Day
How can you say that?

I just came up with a brand spanking new take on the issue in which I cleverly and accurately compare the playing careers of the Paris Horne and Phil Greene classes to the coaching career of the legend.

"That's gold Jerry, gold!"
- Kb
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 12:41:55 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2020, 12:48:05 PM »
Again he was left with two top 100 players, one being the highest rated player the school got in a very long time. He could have had them on the team IF he wanted them. It would have required a hands on approach. He didn’t want to do that fine that’s his choice. The roster he ended up with was HIS doing. He continued to reap the benefits of Lavin’s recruiting after Lavin left. That is not a program needing to be rebuilt. Who are the players that Mullin and company had real interest in the school? Mack? The program was on life support and Anderson is being tasked with bringing it out of comatose.
When coaching changes are made - roster change typically accompanies it. While CFC deserves credit for retaining most of the talent from the previous regime - Mullin doesn't deserve blame for not being able to keep all of them. It's an unpredictably dicey situation in general made dicier by a player facing suspension/disciplinary action for smoking cheeba and a player who had ceased going to class, was driving to Philly constantly and was a hop skip and a jump from the penitentiary.

TONYD3

« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2020, 03:13:51 PM »

[/quote]
No he is just the worst coach in sports history. I think that’s enough

« Reply #359 on: February 23, 2020, 10:37:55 AM »
No he is just the worst coach in sports history. I think that’s enough

It's takes like this I just don't get. I'm not saying he was the best but he was improving. St. John's is far from a juggernaut either. What did you expect within 4 years?

There are things that needed to be fixed but imo they were correctable. 

Season 1 was a throw away.
Season 2 you saw the building blocks.
Season 3 was disappointing because of Lovett.
Season 4 we danced. Could have been better sure.

Continuity creates stability. We took a step back to try and take 2 steps forward but we might not take one step forward.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle