Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK

• 491 replies
Re: Mullin - Anderson Thread ***READ AT OWN RISK
« Reply #360 on: February 23, 2020, 10:44:21 AM »
I love Mullin and always will so you won’t get the piling on from me.

But I see progress this year with the limited roster. If we pulled out Gtown and X the narrative is different. I’m pleased with the development of certain kids and attribute that to Anderson and the staff.

There are no moral victories but losing many close games is better than the number of absolute blowouts we saw too often in the past.

I think once Anderson increases the talent level, maintains stability/continuity and brings in more kids to fit his system, we are going to be a solid perennial program again. It’s up to them to recruit smart and well enough to make that happen.

« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2020, 10:47:46 AM »
+1

But I see progress this year with the limited roster. If we pulled out Gtown and X the narrative is different. I’m pleased with the development of certain kids and attribute that to Anderson and the staff.

There are no moral victories but losing many close games is better than the number of absolute blowouts we saw too often in the past.

I think once Anderson increases the talent level, maintains stability/continuity and brings in more kids to fit his system, we are going to be a solid perennial program again. It’s up to them to recruit smart and well enough to make that happen.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2020, 10:53:33 AM »

I think this is fair take. While I think some is due to natural maturation, Anderson does deserves credit for guys developing. I also applaud the stability and daily preparation that was immediately established.

What I'm fearful and concerned about is that the talent level will be too far inferior to make up gap to climb. Additionally I think the style of play will yield better results in OCC than it will in conference. We'll catch teams by surprise and punch them in the mouth OOC but in conference that will be scouted and figured out.

Ultimately the floor rises but the ceiling is another story
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #363 on: February 23, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »
As to whether his system plays in the BE, doesn’t that depend on the types of kids we get. An upgrade at the PG slot for late game stability, even minor, and/or another kid that can score a bit more on the wing/guard slot probably gives us a few more W’s in BE play minimum. His system has caused problems for many in-conference opponents, it’s just a matter of having a more balanced team with another playmaker or two (even not of any significant level) to close out those games.

« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2020, 01:15:29 PM »
As to whether his system plays in the BE, doesn’t that depend on the types of kids we get. An upgrade at the PG slot for late game stability, even minor, and/or another kid that can score a bit more on the wing/guard slot probably gives us a few more W’s in BE play minimum. His system has caused problems for many in-conference opponents, it’s just a matter of having a more balanced team with another playmaker or two (even not of any significant level) to close out those games.

The players coming in will def sure up some of our late game breakdowns....having a quality point guard is a premium especially at the end of games...Let’s just land the big next year and I think we will be much better at closing out games...

SJUFAN

« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »

This is what many are really not realizing, how inept our roster is and just the slightest influx of talent will make a difference. Those who say we are not rebuilding have a agenda. To inherit a team that only had two starters in the entire roster and expect them to compete simply because of those two players is nonsense.

Then those same people will say Mullin going 4-14 is LoVett fault even though he still had a 3 NBA players, Clark, and Ahmed. Yet Anderson sitting on 3 wins should do better because he inherited LJ and a banged up Heron and nothing else.

TONYD3

« Reply #366 on: February 23, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
It's takes like this I just don't get. I'm not saying he was the best but he was improving. St. John's is far from a juggernaut either. What did you expect within 4 years?

There are things that needed to be fixed but imo they were correctable. 

Season 1 was a throw away.
Season 2 you saw the building blocks.
Season 3 was disappointing because of Lovett.
Season 4 we danced. Could have been better sure.

Continuity creates stability. We took a step back to try and take 2 steps forward but we might not take one step forward.

You asked me why I hate him. I just told you. If someone just read your post about him they would think he was ok.
Year 1- why would I or anyone be ok with a throw away season. We just came off of 5 years of relevance. Only to be awful.
Year 2- building blocks to what? Last place?
Year 3- last Place AGAIN! 0-11 to start the conference.
Year 4- we dance
Year 5- COMPLETE rebuild needed.
I expected way better then 20-59. For the 1000th time more then half of those losses weren’t even competitive. The experiment was an absolute failure.
Do any of you think we finish in 8th or lower if Lavin stayed for another 4 years even 1 time?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:48:46 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #367 on: February 23, 2020, 10:35:22 PM »
Those who say we are not rebuilding have a agenda. 
Team 1: Jones, Balamou, Alibagovic

Team 2: LJ, Heron, Earlington, Williams, Roberts, Caraher, Steere

Question: Which coach inherited the worst team in the history of St. John's university? An utter, complete and total rebuild! A team Dean Smith couldn't win with.

Which coach inherited a team with far more functional parts in general, and two inarguably high level talents deemed so precocious that they were pre-season 2nd team all-conference selections in particular? One of whom even looked like a star player this very day on the road against the best team in the conference. The games leading scorer against a D solely designed to stop him. Not a rebuild!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:46:00 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #368 on: February 23, 2020, 11:12:18 PM »
News flash: Mullin found to be responsible for climate change. Story at 11.

No he is just the worst coach in sports history. I think that’s enough
Which one of the traitors said something to the effect of 'just wait and see the havoc CFC's defense plays on some of these lazy ass Be teams'. Was that you?

TONYD3

« Reply #369 on: February 23, 2020, 11:48:48 PM »
Which one of the traitors said something to the effect of 'just wait and see the havoc CFC's defense plays on some of these lazy ass Be teams'. Was that you?
I said soft big east teams. No team has ever been lazy except Mullin. This big East is much less soft then the last few.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:49:36 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »
You asked me why I hate him. I just told you. If someone just read your post about him they would think he was ok.
Year 1- why would I or anyone be ok with a throw away season. We just came off of 5 years of relevance. Only to be awful.
Year 2- building blocks to what? Last place?
Year 3- last Place AGAIN! 0-11 to start the conference.
Year 4- we dance
Year 5- COMPLETE rebuild needed.
I expected way better then 20-59. For the 1000th time more then half of those losses weren’t even competitive. The experiment was an absolute failure.
Do any of you think we finish in 8th or lower if Lavin stayed for another 4 years even 1 time?

Year 1 saw a ton of graduates and recruits that left due to coaching change. I've always said I wouldn't have let go of Lavin. It's the same fate Mullin had. You need to double down and make things work.

I think your take is extreme. If that's the way you feel then ok but I disagree. However you feel though stop with the disrespect to Mullin. The constant misspelling of his name is childish.

« Reply #371 on: February 24, 2020, 10:46:11 AM »
The Spelling of his last name is just as childish as Carmine with his CFC for Anderson....if we going to go after one go after Carmine to.

« Reply #372 on: February 24, 2020, 11:02:13 AM »
The Spelling of his last name is just as childish as Carmine with his CFC for Anderson....if we going to go after one go after Carmine to.

Carmine makes nicknames for every player. It's not singled out. He's not trying to be demeaning using an intentional misspelling of his name.

It started with Tony intentionally misspelling his name which I autocorrected in the banned words and that triggered him using demeaning word that resembles his name. There has been 12+ words added to ban list due to Tony. It's blatant and intentional

« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »
I said soft big east teams. No team has ever been lazy except Mullin. This big East is much less soft then the last few.
My bad.

« Reply #374 on: February 24, 2020, 11:22:51 AM »
That comparison doesn't fly.

One is a Razorback with no prior ties to the region or school who's been here a New York minute.

The other is Chris Mullin.

« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
question for you Why do I have to have Chris Mullin on this pedestal when I never saw him play once? As a younger generation fan the only Mullin memories I have is how he was an awful Coach. That's my memory. I was not even born when he was playing. Yes he is the schools best player and I will respect that and cheer for him whenever he is back at MSG but he played in the 80's and has ZERO relevance to my St. John's Rooting years.....awesome he was hell of a player a legend at st. johns but he was a AWFUL coach and will be forever linked to that also......Get out of the 80's we are in 2020. We are not talking about playing years we are talking about his Coaching.

TONYD3

« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2020, 01:11:39 PM »
Carmine makes nicknames for every player. It's not singled out. He's not trying to be demeaning using an intentional misspelling of his name.

It started with Tony intentionally misspelling his name which I autocorrected in the banned words and that triggered him using demeaning word that resembles his name. There has been 12+ words added to ban list due to Tony. It's blatant and intentional
Instead what if I suggested other posters had sex with she males? Would that be more appropriate? What if my name was fxck off and die? What if I called other posters cunts? Coach 4th choice is just as childish as coach Mullin.
I am the only one being reprimanded. I told you last week I would stop, until provoked.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:14:28 PM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2020, 01:51:11 PM »
I am de ownwy one being wepwimanded

Speaking of butt hurt.

TONYD3

« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2020, 02:16:12 PM »
Speaking of butt hurt.
Not butt hurt at all. I think it’s hysterical when you guys get mad. Write another play loser. 60 year old man named himself fxck off and die. Even after all these years it’s hysterical.

SJUFAN

« Reply #379 on: February 24, 2020, 02:44:01 PM »
Team 1: Jones, Balamou, Alibagovic

Team 2: LJ, Heron, Earlington, Williams, Roberts, Caraher, Steere

Question: Which coach inherited the worst team in the history of St. John's university? An utter, complete and total rebuild! A team Dean Smith couldn't win with.

Which coach inherited a team with far more functional parts in general, and two inarguably high level talents deemed so precocious that they were pre-season 2nd team all-conference selections in particular? One of whom even looked like a star player this very day on the road against the best team in the conference. The games leading scorer against a D solely designed to stop him. Not a rebuild!

Just because Anderson inherited a less terrible roster than Mullin doesn't
somehow mean this isn’t a rebuild. He inherited two starters, and some end of the bench players.

This is the BE. If your roster only has two starters on the roster your in trouble. Why is it difficult for you to grasp this concept?